Theme Ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jun 22, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 22, 2006

I am moving from a very scripted school with nearly 0 input into curriculum to a school where I am not only allowed but encouraged to teach themes! There is an art grant and the material all has to be art infused which is exciting. I am trying to decide on some themes to teach this year. I have 2 ideas right now -- one is The Titantic which I have written an entire unit on already in college and never got to use and the other is Fairy Tales -- studying the various forms of fairy tales from around the world as well as stories like The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox.

What do you think of these themes for 3rd graders? Any ideas for activities?

What are your favorite themes to teach??

3. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 23, 2006

I think those sound like a lot of fun! I do fairy tales with my second graders, but only the "original" stories and not the fractured ones. I think 3rd graders are ready for those!

I also do themes on pets, pirates, apples, rabbits, trucks

4. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

We did a cowboy unit and used the book, Bubba the Cowboy Prince (like Cinderella). We also did a map unit and the kids created their own island and had to use all the different types of maps. Those two were my favorite.