Theme Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 18, 2009.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2009

My new school mascot is the tiger, so I thought the perfect theme for my classroom would be... Mrs. W's Wild Adventure, or some such... I've found a bunch of stuff for a Jungle Safari theme, which might work as well (I want to do more than just tigers), but my budget is VERY tight, so I'm looking for any ideas you may have. Also, I will have a small classroom with VERY little usable wall space for posters, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2009

Anyone?

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

Construction paper leaves and crepe paper "vines" might work well for borders, etc. I'll keep thinking and post some more ieas later...

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 19, 2009

I also worked at a school that had a tiger as a mascot. I still have a tiger shaped rug in my classroom, even though the school I'm at has a bulldog as a mascot.

A word of caution -- you say you want to include other animals. Please make sure you do not include lions, african elephants, zebras, giraffes, etc.

Wild tigers live in Asia. Wild lions, african elephants, zebras and giraffes live in Africa. You would never find lions, zebras, and tigers together in the same habitat. This misconception is actually one of my pet peeves as a teacher, since I have to correct it when children get to 2nd and 3rd grade science and study habitats and ecosystems. I can't tell you how many bulletin board kits and children's play sets include the tiger with all African animals.

Tigers actually live in a variety of hot and cold climates on the continent of Asia. They are solitary creatures, who prefer staying out of sight. While it is true that some tigers live in jungles in Asia, and you may find lions, zebras and giraffes on the outskirts of jungles in Africa, they are never in the SAME jungle. It is also rare to find lions, zebras and giraffes in an actual jungle -- they are grassland animals who live on the savannahs of Africa.

Safari is an African word, and typically refers to Africa. Again, tigers are from Asia. One does not typically encounter tigers on a safari.

I think the Adventure part is wonderful. If you want to do a safari scene, I'd stick to African animals only. If you want to focus on tigers, you'll need to do some research to come up with the animals that actually live in the same habitat as the tiger -- or you could do a zoo setting -- which could logically contain whatever animals you choose!

Good luck! Choosing a theme is lots of fun.

6. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

i got this idea from another teacher. Take safari paper, which isn't that much, and laminate it. Then cut it and cover the containers with the paper. It will really bring things together!

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

The containers can be old cans or anything you have laying around the house.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

well; that was certainly enlightening & educational! Thank you Rainstorm. :)

1stgradeNana,
    if you have any windows in your classroom; you could buy inexpensive material or sheets and come up with your own "tiger" curtains, solid black or orange or stripes, etc...

I remember one of our teachers had a fantastic looking "rainforest/jungle" room when she added vines hanging from the ceiling.

Are you wanting to carry this theme throughout the school year?

9. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 19, 2009

RainStorm:
    I never knew that...I'm glad you educated me. I feel like I should have known that being a teacher for 6 years....yikes!

Anyway, if you are on a tight budget, you could always enlarge pictures of tigers and color them, or have kids color them. I would also look for tiger fabric at Wal-mart, they have really cheap fabric, and it would really liven up your room. I use fabric on the back of bulletin boards, and to cover tables. It adds a lot to the space! Good luck. :)

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 19, 2009

Nana,
    I probably still have some great tiger graphics. If you pm me with your email address, I'll be glad to send them your way.

11. MsR

MsR Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

If you do decide to go with the vines, get paper instead of plastic at the grocery store. Then you are able to cut and crinkle them into vines and hang them around your room.

12. MrsChandler

MrsChandler Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Wow,I so didn't know all that about the African animals! You know what they say about those who assume... Thanks for the info!! My only ideas were already mentioned...(do great minds think alike?) cover the tables or stations/centers with assorted animal print fabrics ( try for cheap remnants) and also printing up name labels on different types of animal graphics... Good luck! Cute theme!