Theme for year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hollydlteacher, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jul 30, 2002

HELP!! Our school has decided to have a theme this year. It is a math theme. I teach first grade, so I will center it around addition/subtraction, money, time, etc. I need suggestions for a bullentin board/room display centered around math. Thanks!!

3. cherryvoliva

cherryvoliva Rookie

Jul 30, 2002

This may be corny, but, as far as bulletin boards go, you could do the addition theme and say, "These 1st graders really add up to a great class" or "Look who's been added to our class!" (and have all the students' names up on the bulletin board. I hope that helps spark some ideas...

4. musicbug

musicbug Rookie

Jul 31, 2002

How about a money board that incorporates both addition and subtraction? (perhaps a store theme?) Also for later in the year a word problem key work board demonstating when to add and when to subtract?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 31, 2002

theme

How about " Time for some First Grade Fun" you could put a big clock the wall or smaller clocks and have the children match the time with the clock. You could also use "This class is really "sumthing" special. What about "A-counting we will go" These may seem corny, but I hope it helps.

6. nancyb

nancyb Guest

Aug 1, 2002

For Christmas, I make a geome"tree" bulletin board. The tree is a large triangle, the base a rectangle and the decorations are geometric shapes the children trace with their templates.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 1, 2002

First graders are in great shape! Geometric shapes

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 1, 2002

Making Cents could be a title for a center or b-board that focuses on money.

Jennifer in OK

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2002

You could have an estimation contest by posting a poster of a large candy jar filled with goodies and a reply form for students to enter their estimates. You could even invite other classes to participate in the contest.

Debbie in FL

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 3, 2002

How stright are the pn the math theme. Math as itself will be boring to a student a any point. My classroom theme over the past two years has been Spongebob Squarepants. This concept is easily combined with Math through Spongebob's job, boating school, or even his hometown of Bikinibottom. There are so many posibilities using this popular character from Nickelodeon to give a spark to your room. The possibilities are endless!!

11. melba

melba Rookie

Aug 17, 2002

"Everything Counts" Display Calendar, 100's chart, today is tomorrow is etc... , thermometer, clock, ect... anything with #'s.

12. melba

melba Rookie

Aug 17, 2002

ooops! I meant "Everyday Counts"

13. mcville

mcville Guest

Aug 18, 2002

all the suggestions given are nice..all you have to do then is choose and smile...what a nice site we got!!

14. Aug 20, 2002

THANKS!!!

Thanks everyone! I found some wonderful ideas. This year has started off to a good start.