Theme for first classroom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Jul 13, 2010.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

So yesterday I found out I am now a pre-k teacher. This will be my first classroom ever. I really wanted some kind of overall "theme" for our classroom for the course of the school year. Does anyone have any good suggestions of things they have used in the past?

3. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I don't really do overall themes for my room, but here are a couple themes I did that turned out really cute:

1. Twinkle, twinkle little star - I hung foil stars from the ceiling and a planet mobile, and I made little foil stars, put the children's pictures on them and placed them on the bulletin board with the heading "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." It turned out really pretty and was very cheep, though a bit labor intensive, to do.

2. Best Buggies: I wrote this heading on the bulletin board and placed pictures of the children on little ladybug cutouts. I also went to target and got a bunch of garden wall stickers (with bugs) and hung them all over the walls. It really brightened up the place.

Like I said.. I don't do overall themes, but I thought these might be good starting points for you.

4. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 13, 2010

The first year I had my own preschool classroom my theme was the Busy Bees. I ordered a busy bee bulletin board set and used the large bee on the door (it was girl bee so I called her the queen bee--that was me) and ordered some bee accents that I wrote the children's names on and put around the queen bee and used ready letters to write Busy Bees over it. I used flower pictures to make a flower garden and put a job on each flower and used more bee accents with names on them for our job chart at circle. (the next year I used honey pots instead of flowers). For attendance at circle I used another bee hive and bees. I used bee accents to label coat hooks and cubbies and yellow and white sentence strips to label lunch box shelves and table places. I found cute material that had bright vibrant bugs and bees on it and made curtains for my windows. I used bright yellow bulletin board paper on my parent info board with a border that had honey comb and bees on it, and used black writing for all my labels on it. the director always made a point to use my room and hallway to show parents that were checking out the center

5. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Jul 13, 2010

I do a Busy Bees theme, also. We are called the K3 Busy Bees. I made a large hive that goes around my door and put the kids' names on small bees I ordered. I drapped it with yellow tulle at the top. For attendance, I used bees for their names and bee material on the b. board. It says Who is in the Hive Today? All locker tags and center signs have the bee or a hive on it. Parents have started to bring me things that have bees on them- pillows, bee decorations. I also title my weekly newsletter: News from the Hive. It is alot of fun to go with an overall theme. The teacher next to me does frogs as her classroom theme - very cute idea too! Hop on in, News from the pond or pad...

6. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Very cute! thanks for all your suggestions! I was thinking maybe a rockstar theme? Like a bullitten board that says "our future is bright" and have stars on it and take pictures of the kids wearing cool sunglasses.

7. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

Last year i did bees this year I'm doing owls!!!!!

8. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

I have also done bees. Years back when I had a lot of boys in my class I did a racing theme. I am looking for something new, but not sure what to do.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 14, 2010

When I moved from 3s to pre-k I decided to do a more general theme. My ideas were: Rainbow room (lots of different colors), Kids Under Construction, Zoo Land, Imagination Station, and the Discovery Zone. I finally decided on The Discovery Zone. I printed out a large clipart of a boy looking at a butterfly through a magnifying glass and put it on the door with cut out words that say "Welcome to the Discovery Zone". I did my cubby and coat hook labels on different colored sentence strips, did my table name tags all on red sentence strips, made a gumball machine for my attendance, for jobs I did kid accents from carson-dellosa and put jobs on the kids t-shirts, and the kids names on mini accent backpacks. I made new curtains out of material I bought at Ben Franklin's--it is yellow background with numbers and rulers and letters etc on it. It changed the feel of my room from the cutesy early preschool to a "big Kid" classroom which was exactly what I needed since I moved up with the kids so it was the same group of kids and we actually started out the school year in the same room we had when they were 3. So I really needed to change the atmosphere. By the end of October we had to move into a different classroom, but I was able to make everything I had work in the new room. This year if I end up teaching 3s I'll probably go back to the busy bees, if I stay with pre-K I'll stick with The Discovery Zone--even though I'll have to move to yet another classroom

10. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Last year my theme was You, Me and the World We See with a focus on change -- change in seasons, changes in cooking, changes in ourselves. It worked very well.
    This year I want something that allows me more freedom in actual units of study so I'm going with something very open -- explorations or adventures or We Explore Our World. I don't have the wording just right.

We have an overall plan for the year and last year I had themes listed for each month. This year I want to be able to pick themes more spontaneously so I think I'll have skill focus listed for each month and not commit to how I'll "package" the teaching of that skill. But right now I'm still in the pondering stage and not sure about any of it ; ).

11. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

My first year was also Busy bees ( the stuff is easy to find). The following year I helped in the 2's classroom so we did Bears. Then the next year I moved back up to the 3's and have for the last four years we have been frogs! I LOVE the frogpond theme and have collected lots of frog stuff.

Rockstar ~ could be cool, especially if you can incorporate some science stuff in (rocks/ stars/ etc...). and then some "kareokee" (Old Mcdonald's style) and allow the kids to use the "microphone" for a pointer, or to get a turn to answer a question, etc...

The first year is always exciting, but so hard too. Congrats!

12. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

Thanks for all your suggestions! I have yet to see what is still left over from the year before in the classroom and I am going to go look at the different teacher stores for ideas.

13. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I taught Pre-K for 5 years and will be looping this year to K... I always used a "bear" theme. They're easy to find and kids love them. I had a bear in the hall with a color theme that I stole from someone's web site... My fur is brown, my overalls are blue, my balloon is pink, my hat is ___, etc...

I started the year out with "Brown Bear, brown bear". I had activities where they learned colors, scissor skills, how to glue (dot dot, not alot), how to work with a group, etc. I also went on a bear hunt to find music, library, p.e., office, cafeteria, etc. After a week or so... we did Three Bears and sorted bears, patterned them, graduated sizes, etc. They retold stories and we learned what porridge was... We also talked about Goldilocks and her behavior/manners/etc...

There are a million bear books... Corduroy and Brown Bear were the favs. Pre-K pages has a great theme unit too...

Now that I'm switching to K and changing themes, I saw a Brown Bear/Eric Carle Bulletin Board set at the teacher store... figures...:)

Good luck...

14. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I love the bear idea. Maybe I can use that as my first thematic unit too. Like a first day of school/ bears unit. Love it! Thanks :)

15. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

16. idmathis

idmathis Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

My library center has my overall theme for the year because that is the one that changes the least. Last year is was a Chick Chicka Boom Boom center. This year we are "Camping through Preschool" Different types of housing are going to be in the center starting with a full size 4 man tent! I will end with a "Birds Nest" (blow up baby pool with pillows" We are even going to make and igloo during January to "hibernate" in :)

17. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

That sounds wonderful and so fun idmathis!!!

Beverly, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! That is just like what I was thinking about :)