Theme for Classroom to Being Year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ajquiett, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ajquiett

ajquiett Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Does anyone have ideas for a theme for my classroom? It will be 4th or 5th graders at a brand new school.

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

You should see if your school will have a mascot or will feed into a (middle/junior/high) school that has one. Once armed with that information, you might have a clearer direction.

Is there something that you are "in to"? Such as sports, ladybugs, racing, wild animals, a color, a STAR?!? Use that as your canvas.

Last but not least, look at Carson-Dellosa, Oriental Trading, Really Good Stuff, or a different teacher-material book. You might find something that you like in there.

Good luck.. decorating your classroom can be a very fun (but exhausting) time!

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 16, 2009

Yes, using a theme does get expensive, but it's so much fun. I'm using butterflies this year. It all started with a cursive alphabet strip that I bought at the Dollar Tree. It has the cutest butterflies on it. It just kind of snowballed from there.

5. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

The school wide theme will be ecosystems. My grade level, 5th, will be doing the polarlands. We are using it to help promote science and we will have a lot of student made things in the hall. However, the theme is only required for the hallways.
    I am personally doing a coffee shop setting in my room. Coffee shops are so relaxing. I am bringing in the colors ,furniture, lighting, couch, etc.

6. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jun 17, 2009

wow a coffee shop. That's different and creative. I think I am just going to start with a color scheme and then instructional things like Science and Social Studies material.

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

I did a detective theme with my 4th graders. It was CIA (Children's Intelligence Agency) Dept. 29 (my room #). The first day of school they got a coded letter & key from me which they had to figure out and respond to. Bulletin board titles were: Analyzing What We Read, We've Got All Our (Math) Facts, Documenting the Moments of our Lives (writing-personal narrative). I also set up an "investigation" - each table group worked together to find clues in the classroom, each clue was part of a sentence (we worked on punctuation & comprehension). We had secret guests come in to the class every once in a while (to read or make something). I also have never had so many students want to read mysteries! They really enjoyed it!

8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I am going with a detective theme in the coming year...thanks for all the great ideas! :) I am leaning toward it being an "investigation" of various subject matter. Haven't got too far, yet, so your ideas are really helpful!!

One thing I have thought of for Social Studies is to use Jane Yolen's books about historical mysteries...Roanoke, The Mary Celeste, and the Salem Witch Trials. In 5th grade, we study American history, so those will tie in great!

I think this theme holds loads of possibilities and will be such fun...for all of us!! Thanks again for sharing!! :)

9. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 17, 2009

The theme that I have used for the last couple of years has been a sports theme and that has really worked well with my 5th graders. :) We built it around the TEAM acronym....Together Everyone Achieves More.