Theme - book characters?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Jun 16, 2008.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 16, 2008

I am debating about whether or not to have a classroom theme (last year I sort of did monkeys/jungle). I use a lot of anchor charts and end up using almost all of my wall space for those. HOWEVER, I was thinking about doing something involving book characters (like Lilly from the Kevin Henkes books, David from No, David!, Junie B. Jones, and so on), and drawing them really large on butcher paper or poster board and then laminating them and placing them around the room (and using the stuffed versions as I can find them). Is there a theme this can go around? I thought this could be fun (we'll do character studies later in the year), but I'm not sure if it's theme-y or not...

(BTW, this is for first grade)

3. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jun 16, 2008

I'm not a teacher yet but I think that would work really well throughout the classroom! I love the idea!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 16, 2008

Cheap and creative! I love it. Write the publishing companies and see if you can get any posters, too. Around book fair time, ask your librarian to save all the book posters for you.

5. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 17, 2008

What about "Make Friends with a Book"

or "We are all Characters"

or "Spend a Moment in a Book"

Towards the end of the year you could have the kids write a story with them and their favorite character.

You could also introduce one character a day/week at the beginning.

What a cute idea!

6. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 17, 2008

Maybe as part of the unit the children can dress up as the main character in the book they read and tell us about their book.
    I Think your idea will work very well.

7. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

Such a cute idea! I think the kids will love it- especially as you read the stories as the year goes by. My classroom theme has been frogs for the past couple of years...maybe I'll incorporate frog and toad into my theme since its one of the stories we discuss in our basal. Hope you don't mind me taking your idea?!?!?:blush:

8. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I am going to do this (feel free to borrow)! I think I'll make copies of the book pages onto transparencies to help blow up the pictures, unless there's an easier way to do it (I don't have a document camera)...

9. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 17, 2008

Oh, also, on the first day, I'm going to get the cardstock diecut head shapes and have my students make themselves and introduce them as part of the "Cast of Characters" in our room, too! (They can use that doll hair stuff, a variety of drawing materials, fabric, and so on.) Then we'll attach sentence strips with their names underneath and that will be our student name word wall. :)

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 17, 2008

I love both ideas, snickydog! I'm a little confused about the last one, though. Do the kids just decorate heads or do they trace their entire body? Are the sentence strips attached vertically or horizontally? I'm sorry I'm so dense - I just can't seem to picture it in my head!

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 17, 2008

Sorry, I was confusing! I would use the faces like Punkydoodles makes (go to http://www.punkydoodles.com/p-individual.html, then scroll down to Child's Face, in the Cs.... they're about 8-9" tall maybe?). I'll supply art materials like yarn for hair, large googley eyes, fabric, and so on for kids to decorate the face and make the top part of their shirt (so like they have a neck beneath the head - though that might get tricky since white glue doesn't always work so well). Then, I'll write their name on a sentence strip, laminate it, and attach it horizontally below the head. With all the faces and "nameplates" going across our wall, it would serve as a decoration, a word wall for student's names, and a "Cast of Characters" for our classroom.

I hope that makes sense this time!!! :)

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2008

Wow, I love it! May I poach?

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 18, 2008

Are you planning on using the medium (4X5) or large (8X11) heads?

14. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 18, 2008

Take take take! :) I'll probably use the large heads, although I'll have 25-30 kids, so space will be a premium for displaying all their works of art (although the small ones would be an okay size for actually putting NEXT TO their names on the word wall, so maybe I will do that!).