thematic units

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 2, 2002

I am beginning the study of thematic units/preferably interdisciplinary. Are there things to watch out for?

3. charli

charli Guest

Jul 12, 2002

I use thematic/interdisciplinary units in my class and I also did my Master's project on this subject. The one thing you have to really watch out for is why are teaching the units you are teaching? Is it for cutesie? Or teachable? Some teachers select a theme that is fun and cute such as bears. There's nothing wrong with that, however, does it lend itself well to covering the objectives you need to teach your children? I use to pick fun things to teach each month and called it thematic units. Now that I know more about what I 'need' to be teaching my children I have broader more objective based units. One example: In place of my unit called "Bears" I have a unit that lasts 8 weeks called "Families." This unit covers many, many objectives from all subject areas and we focus on human and animal families. When I taught my "bear" unit several years ago we focused on pictures, papers, games and snacks that had bears on them! Now we do projects, research, and actually do some major learning! If you need any help on how to get started let me know! Good luck!:D