Thematic Unit

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by amyd, Mar 21, 2008.

1. amyd

amyd Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

Hi, I 'm a college student that needs some help with an assignment that I'm working on. We have to plan a thematic unit based on a Social Studies theme and I have picked the theme to be community. Has anyone done a unit on community that can easily be integrated with other subjects? I will be gearing this unit towards 1st grade.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2008

Community lends itself well to beginning of the year topics- all about me, family, friends, etc. You could incorporate all of those into the unit. How about commuity helpers?

4. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 29, 2008

Here are some sample elementary community units that I found. Allow me to give you some advice that someone once told me when I was first starting out. If another teacher had taught, take their lesson and make it your own. There are already alot of great teachers our there doing great things. My first few years, I "borrowed" a lot of ideas...then every year I added more and more of my own stuff. I hope these sites are helpful...good luck.

http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/socjust/Jensen.PDF
    http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/Byrnes-S2000/index.htm

5. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Apr 7, 2008

a classmate of mine did a unit and she had the kids make a scale of a community the kids used shoe boxes and made their houses and wrote a page on their family and home and took pictures if they could and made a little book in a note book and the first section was my life. then every day or two she would give one of the students their assignment. like one of them would get a card that says " you think the community could really use a grocery store propose it at the community meeting. then the student would propose it and they would have to go through the steps to vote for it and decide where it would go and if you had to buy houses from people to build it. there is a lot of oppertunity to build in economics and a lot of other great subjects

6. amyd

amyd Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

Thanks for all the ideas! boogabook I like that idea, and bringing in economics into the mix.