THE Yellow Dress, Yoga, and Vegetarian food

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

I found the most wonderful yellow dress at T.J. Maxx a week ago to wear on the plane when we go to Mexico this summer, but, it's a little snug. It buttons down the front has a high waisted belt, cap sleeves, and is just beautiful. It will also be my first day of school dress.

I have it hanging in the workout room where my elliptical machine is so I can stay movtivated to shed about five pounds. The pounds have not come off and my doctor suggested I change up my exercise routine. I'm thinking Yoga for strength and flexibiltiy... weight loss? Does anyone have a routine or any suggestions on a DVD?

I'm also trying a vegetarian diet to shed some pounds. I ordered Skinny B@tch, it's a book of vegan persuasion. Any one have success with the veggie diet to lose weight? I've eaten mostly veggies the last week but still at a stand still with the weight.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

I just recently decided to incorporate yoga into my training plans for a couple long distance events in the near future. I download the free mp3s from yogadownload.com. I've done yoga in the past, but inconsistently and definitely not while training.

Eating a vegetarian diet won't necessarily result in a loss of weight. A calorie deficit will result in a loss of weight and the type of calories aren't really too much of a factor for weight loss - whether they come from meat, veggies, fruits, grains, etc. The type of calories becomes really important when someone is attempting to lower their body fat percentage to reach the athletic level, which is 14%-20% for females. This is the range in which abs and other muscles will be clearly defined.

Of course, even when you're not attempting to reach that particular body fat percentage range and you're just simply try to lose weight, what type of calories you consume will be an important factor in other ways - energy level being the most important. You're going to feel better if you balance where the calories come from. If you eat all processed junk food, but still remain under your budgeted calories for the day, you're going to feel sluggish.

I suggest researching clean eating, which essentially means eating things which are not processed and eating a balanced diet.

Here's how to create a daily calorie deficit:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate - how many calories you burn daily just by existing) + Calories Out (how many calories you burn daily through exercise) - Calories In (how many calories you eat daily) = Calorie Deficit

In order to lose 1 lb. per week, you would need to create a calorie deficit of 500 cal. per day (500 cal. x 7 days = 3500 cal. or 1 lb.). If you would like to loose 2 lb. per week, you would need to create a calorie deficit of 1000 cal. per day.

Yes, this means you'll need to keep track of your calories.SparkPeople has great tracking tools. Tracking calories definitely isn't long term, but if you do it until you lose the unwanted weight, you'll really become aware of where you calories come from and how to mentally track. I think of tracking calories as wearing training wheels.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 20, 2010

Good for you Hoot! What a great motivator!

There was a thread here recently on Zumba which I love doing-even just walking would help. And I really like Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet (she has a blog too with recipes http://www.thekindlife.com/. Some of the ingredients can be a little exotic-but I've found some new veggies that I really like.

A vegetarian diet doesn't necessarily mean weight loss however typically people are substituting food that is digested in a more efficient way when they take out meat.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, didn't definitely help with weight loss, but is a healthier diet...If you are not truly dedicated to be a 'veggie', try boosting the protein in your diet (lean chicken, turkey, fish)- it can make a difference in your weight loss.

The dress sounds great- I may head out to TJM myself!!:p

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 20, 2010

Hoot-I was at a standstill for 2 months even on 1200 calories. I started to eat only whole grains (no white bread, white pasta, etc.), fruits, vegetables and only LEAN meats (chicken, egg whites,), beans, and low fat dairy. No processed foods or sugar either. It has helped a lot. You can do the same thing with the vegetarian concept if you can stay away from sugar and white bread, etc.

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

Thanks for all the information! I'm just so frustrated with these final pounds. Being short has meant that I've always had to watch what I eat, my appetite is very healthy. I'm perpetually on a restricted diet. I've been eating a lot more raw veggies and look at the links you've generously provided. I think the yoga might help firm up.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 20, 2010

I'm short too. I recently lost 10 pounds & am trying to continue. It's not easy since I LOVE food! I go to the gym 4-5 days/wk where I try to stay an hr. I used to stay on the elliptical crosstrainer for 30+ min, then get on the individual equipment, but lately, I've spent a lot more time on the individual equipment. Now, I should be doing a little more elliptical!

I really have to have the will power to watch what I eat!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2010

The dress does sound beautiful Hoot. Could you post a link to it?

I need to lose about 10 more lbs to be at my final goal weight. I hadn't thought to do yoga, but I might have to pick up a class at the Y. I strength train 3 days a week and do cardio twice a week doing classes at the Y. I have cut sodas out completely (not by choice, but necessity :(). I do need to start watching what I eat though! Will be checking some of the links.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 20, 2010

Just a thought-if you are looking to firm up-pilates might be a better route for you. The exercises are harder (strength-wise), but really great for toning your muscles-I felt a difference after like 2 classes!

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 20, 2010

I just started yoga. I bought one of those DVDs of Rodney Yee. I walk daily and get plenty of cardio but feel I need more strength and tone building activities. I also have started a medicine ball workout and am going to get out my pilates bands. I did them a few years back and they seemed to work. I've also thought about trying the kettlebell and the Shake Weight. :unsure:

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 20, 2010

My doctor says that they only thing that ever results in weight loss is eating less and moving more.

I like yoga, and it makes me feel better, even though I don't have the flexiility to do most of it like I should be doing it. I also love walking.

I don't eat much meat at all. I just don't like it mostly, but I'm also on a protein-restricted diet. It was easy to give it up, that's for sure.

13. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 20, 2010

I recommend a book called Eat to Live. Here's a link to get started... six week plan.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

cmw, what's a medicine ball, kettlebell, and Shake Weight?

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

Hoot, you are one lucky woman if you have to ask that. As it stands, I currently sleep with a medicine ball next to our bed. This is my life...

Anyhow, a medicine ball is a weighted ball. It's about a half-size larger than a basketball and filled with what feels like sand. You toss it around and up in the air, and it acts like a weight. In crossfit, we have to throw it up in the air against the building and then catch it-I'm so uncoordinated that it always hits me in the head and it really hurts!

A kettlebell is another type of weight. It's like an iron ball with a handle. You swing it around. Again in crossfit, we swing it between our legs and then with the momentum we get it in the air above our heads and hold it for a second before bringing it down again. It helps with arm and core muscles.

You'll have to get details on a shake weight from someone else-I've not used one of those.

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 21, 2010

The Shake Weight looks like a small barbell but it has somethng inside that makes in move inside. It's supposed to tone your arms. The commercials are quite funny. My fiance says if I get one and use it while walking he will get one and walk behind me to make fun. :p They sell it at Target. Here's the site.

https://www.shakeweight.com/flare/next

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 21, 2010

I can't even look at a Shake Weight after watching the Saturday Night Live skit.

SNL Shake Weight Skit

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

That's so funny!

I can't get the picture to come up. :(

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

Haha!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 21, 2010

HA! I'd never seen a shake weight advertised before, but the SNL video is exactly what I thought of when I was watching it-how sexual!! Hahah.

21. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 21, 2010

:toofunny: That's the first Saturday Night Live skit I've seen in a long time and it is funny!

22. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 23, 2010

I saw the shake weight in bed bath and beyond and literally started laughing out loud, by myself in the aisle (after the SNL).