The year your students were born

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

I came out with this topic last year. What happened in your life- or in the world- the year this year's students were born?

1999-2000. :eek:
    -More than half my students never lived in the 1900s. :eek:
    -I was a senior in high school the year they were born.
    -The majority of my students were only 1 when September 11th occurred. That means, the majority of this year's second graders never lived in a time when the Twin Towers stood.
    -Christina Aguilera became popular in the music world. I remember the music that was popular around the time of prom- Her version of I Turn to You was on the radio a lot.
    -I went back in my journals and read what I did in high school some of the days these students were born. I know because I asked a boy out to the prom (he said no) the day one of my students was born. :lol:
    -Reality television debuted around that time- or at least Survivor did.

3. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 16, 2009

funny... you exactly my age......

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

Well, I teach K. So my students were born in 2003 and 2004. Sadly, my first son died in November 2003. The students in my class would have been his peers and he would have been in K this year.

5. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

I'm just a year ahead of u Mrs. Jazstal. I was at my first year in college in 99-2000. CRAZY!!!

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

I was...... in 4th grade in 99-00

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

I'm so sorry.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2009

So sorry to hear this...must be a bitter sweet year for you!!!

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

Oh, I'm so, so sorry.

10. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 16, 2009

My kids in 1st grade would have been born between 2002-2003.

I was...
    In high school.
    In LOVE with Lord of the Rings. I saw each movie 8 times in theaters. <geek>
    Wishing I was a teacher already and not stuck in school learning Trig...ugh!!

World Happenings...
    None of my kids were alive to see the 1900s or 9/11. That is so weird for me because 9/11 is such a dividing moment in my own life...I live about 15 miles from DC, so a lot of it happened in my backyard, so to speak. I knew people in the Pentagon at the time it happened and there were a couple people from my church and a parent of a friend of mine from school who were killed.

The Euro was introduced in 2002 in Europe.
    NCLB signed by Bush. ('02)
    Salt Lake City Olympics ('02)
    Space Shuttle Columbia explodes over Texas ('03)
    Katherine Hepburn and Bob Hope die ('03)

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2009

My youngest student was born in 2004, my oldest was born in 1996 so a lot has happened in that span of time.

12. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Sevenplus- I am so sorry for your loss.

I teach first grade, so they were born in 2002-2003.

During that time of my life, I was planning my wedding...we already had a child who was one at the time. I was taking 21 credits a semester, working two jobs, and trying to keep my sanity...LOL!

13. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

And I graduated college at that time. Wow! Time flies!!

14. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

Yeah. I'm like 45 minutes away from NYC. 9/11 here was not a fun day.

My town lost like 12 people, the town next to us lost like 40 people. My county lost like the most people outside of NY.

On 9/11, my SD didn't tell ANYONE what happened, so that was an odd day.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

Sevenplus- I am sorry.

More about me that year-
    I remember when I saw American Beauty and not knowing what to expect, being kind of shocked afterward. I loved the song American Woman, though. Of course I visited my college in November 1999 because I wanted to go up for the freshman orientation visit. Compared to now, I was skinny- 116 pounds, from what I remember! I was building websites like I am now, but I was taking the Geocities and Tripod route with a personal website about insignificant things. I had some random username- Winkies_2 (I don't know why). I remember liking the show Once and Again that debuted that year and didn't last all that long. I was also a fan of Freaks and Geeks.

16. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Aug 16, 2009

My 8th grade students were born in 1995-1996. I was in 8th grade :D I had my first knee surgery that year, so it was pretty difficult.

My kids are too young to remember Columbine, and they have only vague memories of 9-11. In '95 and '96, the Murrah building in OKC was bombed (on my birthday!), the Kobe earthquake killed thousands of people, Prince Charles and Princess Diana divorced, and Tupac was shot. I'm sure some good things happened, too...really...:dunno:

17. DocuiSedecim

DocuiSedecim Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

My sixth graders were born...

1997-1998.

I was in seventh grade and twelve when they were born. I am a young teacher, and it is funny when students say- "Your younger than my mother/father." I usually reply with "God hopes I am." I spent my first year out of college (age 20/21) substitute teaching. My first year teaching was last year, I taught sixth grade. It was always fun looking at them thinking that I was in sixth when they were born.

18. jazzcat

jazzcat Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I guess I'll have to get used to not being part of the younger generation anymore!

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

Sixth grade, so 1997, 1998.

I graduated in '97, and I couldn't get out of my hometown fast enough! I never wanted to come back. And, I really didn't intend to become a teacher at that time either. I sort of fell into it.

Hmm, what was I doing...

...Watching E.R. like it was my job. George Clooney...hubba hubba...

...I was soooo in love. And I hated my roommate who was a freak, so I pretty much lived with my boyfriend. (Don't worry, I married him). I had to pay my roommate to tell my mom I was sleeping when she called!

...Working at Cracker Barrel, and wanting to shoot myself for it. Hated that place. I had 2 day jobs, but I wanted the tips. Here's a tip: old people like to eat at CB, and old people DON'T TIP.

...Going to Husker games (all sports), frat parties, and karaoke bars.

...Really loving life! I loved being on my own, in the "big city".

And now...I live in that same town I couldn't wait to leave, teaching the babies who were born the year I left! Wouldn't have it any other way, this really is a great place to raise kids!

20. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

Hmmm. Well, I teach first and my youngest daughter will be in first this year and she was born in 2002. So that means during this time that year I was a stay at home mom with two small children. Therefore, I really don't remember any happenings in the world because I was too sleep deprived! lol
    But, thank you for making me feel old! j/k
    And, btw, I remember "The Real World" on MTV as being one of the first "reality shows"...I think I was in 8th or 9th grade when the first one debuted.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

I'm getting to the point where I'm not thrown by when my students were born.

It's the birth dates of my coworkers that tend to boggle my mind!

22. courtneymarie

courtneymarie Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

I teach 11th graders, so my kids were born between 1992 and 1993. I was seven or eight when they were born. I don't remember much from then except that I made my first communion the spring of second grade.

Last year I taught seniors and I was only four years older than my oldest student.:eek:

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

Mine were born either while my dh & I were dating or the year we got married (and I graduated). It kind of freaks me out sometimes!

My kids last year could remember 9/11 (especially my one who lived there at the time) I am not sure if this year's kids will.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

All of my kids can remember 9/11, since a number of them lost parents that day. Even those that didn't inevitably remember the fear and tension that permeated every school in the area.

I'll be teaching mostly sophomores this year, so they would have been born around 1993. At that point I was teaching in the same school I'm in now, living in the same house I'm in now. I was several years before Brian was born, so it was just the 2 of us.

25. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

My students were born in 2002 , at that time I was trying to get pregnant, and in December 2002 I got pregnant, I was 28 , OH! I was so so young!!!!
    At that time Dh and I did not have economic problems. We lived a little bit more relaxed, unfortunately I do not remember more.

26. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

I am so sorry. I know what you are going through. I lost my first Daughter on August 25, 2005. She would have been 4 starting Preschool this year. I was just thinking the other day how next year will be even harder knowing she would have started Kindergarten.:hugs:

Back to the question. I also teach Kindergarten. In 2003 I met my husband and was married in 2004. Bought a new car and house and went into all kinds of debt. It was a very busy year.

27. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

My kids are in 1st grade. They were born in 2003-2004. In '03 I was a junior in college. I lost two dear friends to cancer in the same week during the fall of that year.

28. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

I remember when I was in school, figuring out how old I would be in the year 2000 (37, soooo old!!) Kids are amazed that I did not use - did not have- a computer when I was in grade school. Didn't have a DVD, VCR, cell phone, or a microwave oven. How ever did we get by??

BTW, I'm officially a cohort now;)

29. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I second that, Alice!:lol:

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2009

Pretty soon there may be kids who don't know what a VCR is, actually...

31. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

oh...that must be painful.

Blessings on you as you deal with that.

32. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

Slight side note....

With my side job (at the grocery), our policy is to card EVERYBODY - regardless of age (the old ladies say that it makes them feel so young).

What smacks is when I card folks and think... that was the year i graduated High school...that was the year i graduated college...OUCH that was the year i married...YIKES that one is younger than my daughter.

And I TELL those whipper-snappers that they are making me feel ancient! They smile.

33. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

I found this website--it's a "mindset" for this year's college freshman (things they have always or never known).

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2013.php

As for my kids, they were born in 2000 or 2001. I was a very awkward sophomore in high school. I remember going to the high school prom with a group of friends, and then going bowling afterwards in our dresses.

34. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I will be teaching 11th and 12th graders this year. So, that would be what....1991-1992. I was in high school. I would get my first job in May of 1992 when the min. wage was 4.25/ hour. My little fad with country music started at this time...Garth Brooks was rockin' the house. The economy was not so hot...and GHW Bush was ending his time in the White House....There was no way in the world I was ever thinking of being a teacher.