The worst things students have ever done...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Linguist92021, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 11, 2012

What are the worst things your student have done to you / or stories you heard of?

the reason for my post is because during my CAHSEE tutoring, (during a snack break) some of the students confessed to some craaaaaazy things they have done to teachers. All of these were news to me, and would have never thought possible. I wished I would have heard them before to be prepared.
    I was wondering if these things were ever done to me, but they said no, because I never gave them the opportunity.

So here is a short list for now - some of it is very gross.

- students taking teacher's water bottle / coffee mug and spit in it. :eek: They said this never could happen to me because I don't leave my things around and I keep my eyes on them. Plus my classroom is small, so I see everything. But they admitted to had this done several times to some of the teachers and subs they don't like.

- double gross: boys rubbing semen on teacher desk, mouse, keyboard, etc. :eek: :crosseyed I actually asked them how they do that, they said they just put their hands in their pants, some will come out, then they get up to wonder the classroom and rub it o stuff on the teacher's desk.
    Nasty !! Now they have never done it to me, because I do not let them go near my desk - in fact I have a bright orange duct tape around my desk and areas they are to avoid, and they know they can't cross it. But other teachers are not so cautious.
    but now I'm careful not to shake their hands when they offer it.

Other things that are not that gross, but just as bad (took me too long to figure out).
    - Tagging / etching things on desks. Student take the eraser off of the pencils, and use the metal top to scratch graffiti onto the desks.
    -- solution: glue the separate eraser-cap on the top of the pencils, or give them golf pencils (wood only). Also regular inspections of the desks are good, but it's only working if you do it in every class, every desk, otherwise you'd never know if it had been there.

3. AFine

AFine Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

Wow! I was shocked when I read this. I am pretty sure none of these things have happened in my classroom at middle school level, but I am in a pretty good area. Still, I am sure things have happened that would surprise me. I think I would want to un-know the semen thing... ugh.. boys are gross!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 11, 2012

I know, it's so gross! I was just as shocked as you are. This has been happening there, and I found it out by chance. I thought about all the times the students reached out to shake my hand - just imagine, their hands had been in places I wouldn't want to touch, but now I'm shaking their hands smiling, thinking how polite they are. Yuck. Only fist bumps please.

I don't think this is happening in traditional schools, but I wanted to put it out there for awareness. The spitting in water bottle is more possible, if one teacher is disliked by just 1 student.

It would be nice if others would share things, because I'm sure there are some stories out there.

5. AFine

AFine Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

Do you work at a non-traditional school? I agree the spitting in the cup seems very possible! I am glad that I don't usually have drinks setting on my desk!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 11, 2012

I keep my cell phone, keys, water bottle, etc. on my desk. So far, nothing (to my knowledge) has happened. Who knows, though!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 11, 2012

The worst deliberate actions I've seen were when I taught middle school. I had my camera and cell phone stolen-found my phone when the student answered (duh), but never got my camera back.

They would bring lethal BB guns to school and then shoot at each other in the park after school (gangs). When I had detention, we would have upwards of 40 students in the room. They had to sit on the floor because I didn't have enough chairs, and they would get in fist fights. I just prayed they didn't pull out the guns.

They also put 409 in the coffee of the math teacher next door. They made her cry every day.

Disclaimer: when I say 'they', it was not every child in the school. But I would 70% of them participated in these activities-small, inner city school where almost-expelled students were sent as a last chance.

I mostly have great memories of teaching. But that group was a handful, for sure.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 11, 2012

yes, it's non-traditional - juvenile lock up.

My cell phone was stolen once, but I blame myself, because I didn't guard my purse closely. Now I have it locked up in the room. (I got my phone back the next day, but it was a horrible 24 hour)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

A kid sneezed on me. By mistake. When we were reading together.

That's about it. I'm fortunate to have worked in some great places.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

I did have 2 kids pass out on me within 3 months. One in SAT prep last summer, and another in September or October of this year. Obviously both unintentional.

That's all that comes to mind.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

I've had a lot of silly, immature things happen over the years, along with children with violent outbursts. Nothing like you describe, thank goodness.

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

I can't believe some of these! Can you notify your co-workers so they can keep a better eye on the students like you do or at least they can wipe down their desk/keyboard after each class?
    In my student teaching, one of the students used a racial slur against me. He said, he didn't want to be taught by a (blank)
    It was pretty horrifying. The kid was suspended. Still, not a good way to start student teaching.

13. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 12, 2012

I have had two students bring a knife to school. One student at our school bit another student. One student smeared feces all over the bathroom wall. I had one student who repeatedly stabbed himself in the leg with anything he could get his hands on. I am talking he broke the skin type stabbing! Ouch:eek:
    I once had a student who would do the log roll down the hall during dismissal. That was a little strange. We couldn't get him to stop!
    Once we had a student push a pregnant teacher down the steps.
    This was all in a k-6 building in a rural area.

14. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Feb 12, 2012

I had some 2nd graders to pee on my library books. They were standing at the book case because they were disrupting the class and so one of them decides to whip it out and the other two followed. I didn't loose very many books because they were not fully "loaded".:D

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

Teachers have been pushed and shoved and told to "f*** off" and things like that. But the incident that really disturbed me, because the child was crazy, was a book of "Fifty Ways to Kill Mr. H", complete with graphic descriptions and illustrations. And just think...you run out of more "traditional" murders pretty early on, so he used some insanely disturbing methods.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

Just curious how students were disciplined for some of these incidents...:dizzy: EEK.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 12, 2012

Our kids put hand sanitizer in a teacher's coffee. That's about it.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2012

Oh, that's the real crazy part. :mad:

19. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Feb 12, 2012

Fortunately nothing serious has ever intentionally happened to me, but I did work with a teacher that had some pretty nasty things done to her.

She taught in my room during my planning period. We taught a lot of the same students. She kept saying how unruly and rude they were, which surprised me because they weren't that way for me at all.

Because she taught in my room, I would leave during my planning period and go to the staffroom or the workroom to prep. One day, I left my dayplanner on my desk and took some marking downstairs to do. All of my marks were recorded in there as well as my long-term planning. She was teaching in there last period of the day. When I got back to the room after school, my dayplanner was gone. I searched for it, thinking that I had taken it with me and just didn't realize. I searched and searched. Couldn't ever find it. The only thing that I can think of is that her students (they HATED her) took it thinking it was hers. I never got it back.

The same group would intentionally spill her coffee. One student blew his nose on a test and handed it in. They called her names, to her face and behind her back.

All in all, very surprising behaviour, considering these kids were pretty normal, polite kids in my classes.

20. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 12, 2012

Zoiks , I'm lucky. I can't think of anything.

About 12 years ago, there was a fistfight in the lobby. It was easily broken up by Miss B, a sixty-year-old Latin teacher, whom the two combatants immediately helped to her feet. That will give you some idea of the ferocity of our students.

Kudos to those of you who teach in the real world.

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 12, 2012

My school had a first grader swallow a glow stick this year.

A second grader kicked down a bathroom stall door.

An 8th grader put a girl in the hospital with a neck brace after using his belt to strangle her and kicking her repeatedly.

As for me, I've only been hit once. Nobody's spit on any of my stuff, but they have stolen everything. One also called me a bitch out loud. My third day on the job, I had a student defiantly pee on the floor. She was also the one that hit me. When we met with her mother she told me that the student frequently said "the voices in her head" make her do these things. :eek: The local hospital diagnosed her with a social disorder. Admin said "keep us updated on what the psychiatrist recommends." They denied our mutual request that this student be placed in a smaller learning environment (IE: SPED) because her grades were too high. :banghead: She has been nothing but ridiculous all year. She screams at other students, refuses to move, steals everything under the sun, threatens me, etc. And I have a few like that.

We frequently have kids screaming, banging lockers, sobbing on the floor, etc. I'm scared that this is the new normal for our school. :help:

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 12, 2012

My mother was punched by a student. Mom was about 55 at the time and the most beloved teacher in the school. She's also about 5'2" and was trying to keep a female student from walking out of the room on her. Mom stood in the doorway with her arms on either side of the frame. The student punched her in the left arm and slipped past when Mom recoiled in pain. She was able to stop the other students from following the offender and called the office for backup. The student was placed in the alternative school for the rest of the year. Mom decided after that to never block a door again.

23. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

Just last week, some of our seniors put a piece of clear plastic wire across the staircase so someone would trip over it. Thankfully, a chemistry teacher found it before something happened. One of the pregnant math teachers started sobbing during class when she found out because she knew her baby could die if she had tripped over that staircase.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

The peeing is pretty nasty, too. I'm glad they haven't thought of that here.
    I think it's one thing to do nasty things to someone, and another to physically hurt a teacher. I'm so sorry for anyone that had to experience that.

At my school I don't think they would go as far, because they are already serving a sentence, but it's juvenile record, so it will be sealed. If they do something more serious, then that's it for them. One male teacher told me that a long time ago he did get punched in the face, but he said it was somewhat his fault for trying to break up a fight (we have specific instructions on what to do, and getting involved is not one of them). He said he didn't pursue the issue because the kid would have gotten real jail sentence, and he didn't want to mess up his life.

My school, as bad as it may sounds (take 1-2 of your worst students from each of your classes and put them all together, and those are my classes), there are some things that are easier. Teachers on traditional schools have to deal with parents; we don't. Most teachers would hope that the parents follow up with discipline at home, and often it's not happening. Our kids' parents are the probation officers. They do follow up.

Consequences:
    - loss of privileges: they get 2 hour free time every day, they take it away. The kids hate it. (one time I heard a kid asking an officer to use the restroom before a class started, he said ok, but he'll have to use the time from his freetime. The kid said nevermind)
    - added time to their sentence.
    - temp. removal to another facility and added time to their sentence. Some kids are here for 2-3 months or even more than they were originally sentenced because of the trouble they get into.
    Does this work? For the most part, but things always happen. Interestingly they pick certain teachers they don't like.

I guess I should inform other teachers of the things I found, but chances are they all already know, and didn't think about telling me. :( I'm the newest one. I've been there since October, one teacher for 1 year and the rest have been there 5-10-16 years. I'm sure they know. But I'll check.

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

OMG that is so vicious. one of my fears is falling down a staircase. Even if you're not pregnant, you can easily break your nose, lose some teeth. And if you are pregnant, it's a question of life and death. That is so sad !!!! and infuriating. I hope they found out who did it.

26. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

Unforunately, they didn't. I gave all of my classes a 10 minute speech about it and urged them to tell if they knew, but I don't think it's going to work.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

I hate the fact that most students will not admit, but also will not tell on each other, even if you ask them anonymously.
    How about asking everyone to take out a piece of paper and ask them to write down what they know? They can be anonymous. this way everyone is writing something, so it's not obvious, as if only 1 or 2 kids starting writing, in other words snitching.

At my school it is IMPOSSIBLE to get them to confess or snitch on each other - they have that code of silence, and if one snitches, he is finished. His life will be living hell. So I don't even try.

28. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

I think I'll do this for my seniors! I have two classes of seniors and I suspect that at least one of them knows. I really hope that none of them did it. I'll check with admin to make sure I can. Thanks for the idea!
    This could have been some sick senior prank or something.

29. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

This was maybe not even aimed at a teacher, but for another student. But they have to learn that their actions have consequences, and things don't always turn out the way they thought they would.
    I hope someone will have the decency and not obstruct justice.
    You can maybe even make it into a lesson - if you have time and want to - about the 5th amendment rights, the right to plead the 5th and obstruction of justice, and the difference between them.

30. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Feb 12, 2012

I had a fourth grader flip me off on my first day of interning.
    Other than that, elementary is pretty good.
    But when I walk around a high school, I find it amazing to see what they get away with! A few junior boys stole the Spanish teacher's wedding ring off her desk while she was putting on lotion. Probably not the best idea. The same two boys also stole my purse and school bag while I was at lunch...they picked the lock. Then a sophomore boy stole cookies from another English teacher's desk while she was at lunch...though nothing was locked. We've also had students who will cuss out the teachers and even go so far as to smack them in the face! That's when things have really gotten out of hand!
    So I'm probably not going to further my career in this district...but these teachers should not be bullied this way.

31. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

This last Friday I saw the following etched in a desk: Fxxk Marianna (except for the F word was complete. I'm MISS Marianna). Fortunately I knew who it was, because I have 3 periods in that classroom, and during each period I have only 1 student sit there (my desks are made for 2). I knew 1 student couldn't have done, and the other maybe, but everyone says he's not known for tagging.
    The one I suspected (4th per) already started this last week, but only got as far as Fxck M, (it was more noticeable), and then the student next period (5th per.) pointed it out. Couldn't really name this guy, because technically I wasn't sure that it was him. (could've been the one in 3rd, but later was told he's not a tagger)
    But Friday another student sat there before him, (3rd per) and I know he wouldn't do that.

I didn't take it personal, didn't get upset, but now I had enough evidence.
    I had the class wait outside, asked probation to come in, look at it. the couldn't identify him for sure based on the style, but told them I was 99 % sure it's him, and they didn't question it. Didn't let him in class, and he got in trouble.
    I taped purple construction paper over it, talked to the rest of the class. Told them they can expect all the desks like that on Monday. I also told them that I know it can be even more tempting to write, draw on it, but if i found even a mark, they will be in trouble. If they're the type of students that like to doodle, I can give them some extra paper, but their work must be done. I'm going to check each desk during / end of class, and it's also the students responsibility to inspect it when they come in, that way they're off the hook.

This was sort of my fault, I haven't stayed on type of this since I've been there, and now a lot of desks have thin etching on that. they're small, can't see them right away (that's why I haven't noticed them), but now I couldn't tell what's new/old.
    But now, the problem is solved.

I should have done this a long time ago.

32. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 12, 2012

One of my 8th graders last year greeted me one day by telling me my address - a not so veiled threat. He already had an arrest record so I didn't think it was a joke. That was the worst thing.

33. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 12, 2012

A few years ago, two girls from one of my classes, who were members of a program where this woman from the outside volunteered her time to help girls avoid teen pregnancy (or offer guidance to them to get through it), attacked the woman outside the school upon her arrival. They beat her extensively - she later said she felt they would have killed her if she hadn't crawled to her purse and found her cell phone - robbed her, and drove off in her car.

Personally, a ninth-grader once threw a lit M-80 explosive at me as he was leaving my room. It barely missed me and went over my head. I was later subpoenaed to testify against this kid in court over this. My principal, who liked to cover-up as many bad incidents as possible, was nice enough to submit my name to the school district for discipline for missing that day to testify.

Those are two of the most high-profile incidents I could think of when I saw this thread.

:down:

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

that is sad and crazy, and I don't really understand. Why would they hurt someone who is volunteering to help them get through a difficult time??

35. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 12, 2012

I'm only in my first year of teaching, so nothing incredibly bad. I have been flipped off, though.

The new thing at school is the kids are taking the sharpening mechanism out of the pencil sharpeners and cutting themselves/other students with it. A group of them cornered a younger one in the bathroom and tried to cut him....luckily, he got away :/

36. teachyourkids

teachyourkids Rookie

Feb 12, 2012

I thought we were bad as kids in school. We just caused mischief. The stories I am reading make me sick. If I ever heard my kid doing any of that stuff he should probably leave the country.

37. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

:dizzy:
    I can't believe this!!

38. Ciaobella

Ciaobella New Member

Feb 12, 2012

I can't believe a lot of this stuff -_-
    It's crazy that some students do this, I mean I personally don't understand what possesses done students to be so rude.

I haven't had much happen. I've had a few snappy remarks from a few smart aleck 5th graders and one 2nd grader flip out because he didn't want to do fine arts that day. Other than that nothing this bad.

39. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 12, 2012

So far this year...
    - superglued a chair to the floor
    - superglued my can of whiteboard markers to a table
    - superglued several markers shut/to the railing at the bottom of the board
    - stuck glue sticks to the board and the wall
    - glued my favorite whiteboard eraser to the board
    - taken several things OUT OF my desk, including another student's hat and balls that I use for review games
    - written/drawn on desks in marker and pencil
    - (jokingly) locked me out of the classroom

40. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2012

You should attach all these things to one of those belts the fix it guys/gals use, and wear it!:D You can step away from your desk IF one of them distracts you while another does his/her thing. You can never be too careful.

Anyway, THE WORST THING a student in one of my classes did...
    ...Stab a girl's hand with a pencil.:( I was ticked off. When I was done talking with him, he kept saying sorry to the girl, and started crying.
    Rebel1

41. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

Oh my, it sounds like your students are obsessed with glue. Unfortunately you can do a lot with superglue. I'm lucky because none of my students can have anything, which I am thankful for. Technically, students can carry just about anything in their backpacks.

I don't want to sound like I'm a negative person, and I just wanted to complain about the students. I started this thread to raise awareness of what can be done by our students, and even offer solutions how to avoid those problems.

At our school (I'm sure in other places, too) a usual trick is for 1 or more students to come up to the desk and block the view. Anything can happen if you don't see the students. I got into the habit of never ever let anyone block my view. If a student asks me to go up to him to help, I always position myself so that I can still see everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.