The Worst Has Happened!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ITeach4Him, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

Asking for your prayers...one of my students passed away on Monday due to a sudden illness. I'm distraught, hurting and so much want my students to be alright and that I be a help to the family.

How do we go on? Please pray for our strength in the coming days and for this family. I don't know what to say or do. Thank goodness for our counselors! 2nd graders have so many questions and we cried many tears today. I know Heaven received an angel, but I'm just devastated. :(

3. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 7, 2008

:hugs: I am so sorry....I am sending prayers for you, your class and the family of the student you just lost.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 7, 2008

I'm so sorry to hear this. Praying for you, the student's family and your students.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 7, 2008

That is horrible! Yes, you are in my prayers. You don't need to say much - just take a meal or some cookies to the family, send a card, hug them and cry with them. What I remember most from my times of grief are the people who just came and sat with me, made coffee for visitors, washed up the dishes, whatever needed doing. They didn't talk much, they were just there. P.M. me if you need to talk!

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2008

:hugs: I am SOOOOOOOO very sorry for your devastating loss! I cannot imagine what you, your students and their families are going through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2008

:eek:hmy: :hugs: I am so sorry! I can only imagine what you and your students are going through, especially with one so sudden. You and your students, as well as the student's family, will be in my prayers.

8. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

Thank you all so much. I knew I could come here and talk where at school I feel I need to be strong. The counselors said it was alright for the kids to see us cry and believe me, we did that. Bless their little souls, they did a great job today. We have a long process ahead of us.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 7, 2008

I am so sorry to hear this!!

There was a young student killed last year on a 4 wheeler. His class planted a tree in his name on the playground with a marker by it.

10. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 7, 2008

oh my. i'm crying thinking about it...what if it were one of my kids? what would i do? i have no idea. just be there for who ever needs support. a shoulder to cry on.

can i ask what happened? what was the sudden illness? if that is rude, i'm sorry. but if it is something that we can dodge...

crying with you,
    LC

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 7, 2008

ITeach - are you in a school where you can comfort you students with the spiritual aspect of this loss?

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 7, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about this. I will be praying for you, your class, and the family of this child. Please continue to include this child's memory in your class. I am sure that it is something that will stay with your class for the rest of their lives, as well as yours.

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2008

I feel for you and I am sending you my love and prayers. this summer one of the students who would have been in my class was beaten to death by his uncle. This was hard for me and I had not taught him. I am sure it is more detrimental for you having taught this child. It was beneficial for the students to have sessions with counselors. Make sure to take advantage of them.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2008

I sorry for your loss. You, your class and this student's family will be in my prayers.

15. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2008

How terribly sad.

16. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

Not rude at all...still not sure exactly what made her sick, but we are assuming it is complications from a surgery last year which left her immune system suppressed. We'll know more in the days to come. High fever and vomiting so possibly an infection of some sort she couldn't fight?

17. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

Yes, I'm very blessed to work at a school that does not hide their belief in God. We talked about being in Heaven and how there is no sickness there, etc. It's such a comfort to know that and we allowed the kids to talk at will about it.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 7, 2008

I'm so sorry. You will be a great comfort to your class.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 7, 2008

That is so extremely devastating. I want to hug you right now, but we're not together! I lost a former student this year, and a few years back, a student passed in first grade who would be in fourth grade now. Love your kids, and be as encouraging to them as possible.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2008

I am so sorry!!! I've been in your shoes a number of times, and it's brutal. My husband lost 2 kids last year: one to cancer and one in a car accident. No matter how many times you lose kids, it's incredibly painful to experience.

The counselors will probably help a lot.

Think ahead of time about the answers to their questions. I'm in a Catholic school, so the explanations are probably a bit easier than in a public. But know that it's OK for you not to have all the answers, or to shed a tear or two in front of the kids. You can be human, and show them that you'll miss their classmate as much as they will.

You may find that some of your kids simply don't want to talk about it; it's too sad and they would prefer to work instead. So have some work on hand-- something totally unrelated to death or illness or anything sad.

Again, my sincere sympathies.

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 8, 2008

I have tears streaming down my face reading all these posts. Losing a child is one of the most tragic events in life. I'm so, so sorry for your loss and for the family's loss.

I've lost children and then I've also had children lose their parents.

When one of my students lost their father, I bought a paper back journal and wrote all I could think of about the father. I started with when I initially met him and how proud he was to be T.'s father. I ended up writing several pages including a prayer for the girl and for her family. I bought a journal for each of the children in the family and took all the journals with some money to the family. Money fits, they may need help with burial expenses, putting up extra family members, etc...

Years have passed and I've run into the mother. She said it was one of the most meaningful gifts she received. She kept the journal at her home and took it with her during visitation. When family and friends came to visit she had everyone write things about the father in it. The girl in my class was just a second grader and having the journal will help preserve precious memories.

It might be too soon for your students, maybe not, but I might have them write some special thoughts about their classmate to give to the family. This is theraputic too.

Know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

22. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

OH my gosh, I am so sad and I am so sorry for your students and you and the family that has to go through this :(.
    I will pray for everyone

23. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

Again thank you all for your kind words. We will go to the funeral tomorrow so it will be a tough day. We are having each class in our grade level do a book of memories and putting in all the pictures we've taken this year of her. We've got plans for a memorial on the playground later on. I'm just loving my kiddoes and keeping them on a regular schedule while also allowing them to talk if they need to. It just kills me that this family has to go through this.

24. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 8, 2008

ITeach, a very nice book to share with your class while dealing with this is called The Next Place by Warren Hanson. I have given this to several families who were dealing with the death of a loved one. Also, Tear Soup by Pat Schweibert. I am so sorry for your loss and will keep you and your whole school family in my thoughts.

25. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

Thank you, I'll look those up. I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow, so many of the students will be there. I hope they can handle it.

26. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Oct 8, 2008

Praying!

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2008

I am so very sorry for your loss.