The word "poopy" is a problem

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by casey, Jan 29, 2009.

1. casey

casey Rookie

Jan 29, 2009

I have three little boys who have suddenly found that "poopy" is the funniest word ever. I know that it's the age for that (3 years) but it is becoming a huge distraction in circle. The three of them shout it back and forth to each other and are generally distracting the group.
    They do not sit together and I have talked to them quietly about it. Any other suggestions? If I have to stop to deal with this I lose the class but I can't let it go on either. Any circle time suggestions? I think this goes deeper than just the word, the three of them have really become quite the trio. Circle (story and music) is very difficult.
    Thank you!!

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 29, 2009

I remind my students that those kinds of words are bathroom words. If they like to say them they can only say them in the bathroom. There have been times when I have lead a child into the bathroom (the bathrooms are in our classroom) and suggested to the child that they get all their potty words out now. You could also try a "social story". Try adapting this one to fit your need:
    http://www.speakingofspeech.com/uploads/PottyWordsStory.pdf

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 29, 2009

EDUK8--wonderful site.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 29, 2009

Are the circle times interactive (VERY interactive circle times w/motions and what not make it hard to remember when to say the word).* I don't know about music time

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 29, 2009

EDUK8- That is one to print off and laminate!

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 30, 2009

This is my approach as well. I usually say, "Oh, do you need to go to the bathroom?" or, I simply take them to the bathroom. When they look confused I say, "I heard you saying bathroom words. I thought you needed to go to the bathroom."

It is very age-appropriate behavior, and the bigger deal you make out of it, the funnier it will become. It's annoying, but totally typical!

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 30, 2009

Another question - how would you use that social story? Would you use it only with the children using potty words, or is that something you would read and discuss at circle? I'm not very familiar with how to use social stories.

9. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 30, 2009

I just found out about social stories from a staff member who works with autistic children in our building. Social stories were originally created for autistic children to teach them appropriate behavior in certain situations. Social stories are wonderful for regular students to. There are many free social stories on that website I posted. I actually haven't done one yet but I am going to this week. I am going to use puppets when I introduce the story to the whole group.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 30, 2009

Those are nice social stories. Social stories, IMHO, are very similar to the oral storyteller telling tales of how to behave. I have used them forever, and they work really well. They don't have to have pictures, you can tell them about yourself or you can tell them about a puppet. I have never really had a written script for one. My family has a strong cultural thread of oral storytelling and I have told the children in my program so manys stories w/o books that my children find it easy to understand.

I hope they work for you, this type of story telling is very, very old and well established. I like that it is a return to "tradition". The stories of today are great, but I feel that we as a society have lost a lot of knowledge when we lost the oral storyteller traditions of the many cultures that make us up.

11. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Social stories

Can you please tell where on that site I can find more social stories? I've clicked around and can't find them. :thanks:

12. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 31, 2009

13. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

14. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

Thanks for that site; great stuff!

We also say that's bathroom talk and please don't use it unless you need to use the bathroom. We say it over and over again usually but what don't you with 3 year olds?

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 2, 2009

16. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 2, 2009

You may need to read the social stories several times :)

17. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Feb 2, 2009

That's too funny! I'm going to present it tomorrow. The nose picking is out of control in my class! :(

18. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 2, 2009

Will do!

19. bishop525@yahoo

bishop525@yahoo Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

At the beginning of the year I tell them the following words that are to only be used in the bathroom. If I hear anyone repeating those words I simply say those are bathroom words.

Just repeat it.

20. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

One of my little guys last year had a pottymouth problem (it is much better this year) and one of hte zingers he came up was

"poopy butterific"

That was one of the times I had to turn away before I reminded him it was a potty word. It was pretty creative, actually, but not at all approrpiate.

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 10, 2009

That is funny! :lol:

OH! But, very, very naughty! :naughty:

22. casey

casey Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

Thank you so much!! I love the social story site. Nose picking is our next thing to address, too!