The Whoas Online teaching

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:16 AM.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:16 AM

So, my school district is starting the school year off digitally. I have mixed feelings. Regardless, this is how it is going to be. I LOVE teaching and I do think for the most part, I am a pretty good teacher. However, I do not love making videos. I feel like I need to glam up, and well that isn't me. So then I am just being me, but I feel I don't look professional enough. Ugh! I teach first grade and I know parents will be looking at all the videos etc. Some teachers are getting the ring lights etc but I really don't want to do all that! Is that just how things are going to be? What do you do? Do I just be me, or put on a show?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:14 AM

I'll set up the lights I already have, but I teach film, so I already have lights.

I recorded several of my videos this summer to get ahead. I made sure I had on a bra, and usually wore a school shirt or T-shirt related to whatever genre films we were learning. I literally don't own makeup, so I bought some powder to put on to stop weird shiny spots, and I wore some chapstick so I didn't look completely dried out, but that's the best they got.

If I taught littles, I'd wear a silly hat or something in each video.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM

I do not make myself the focus of my videos. I show my hands if I’m making something, or my screen if I’m explaining something. I have a presentation that goes along with my discussion, so I just use that.

Backroads, miss-m and bella84 like this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:13 PM

This is what I did too. If I was doing a read aloud I MIGHT record myself holding the book, but I found it really worked better to put the book pages into a slideshow and record myself reading that way. For math or other videos, the focus was the work. If I recorded my screen on Zoom, my video was in it, but very small.

bella84 likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:16 PM

I don't do any special setup. Just me in front of my webcam.

7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM

My school has just decided to go entirely virtual. We had the choice earlier for parents to choose either virtual only, hybrid or on campus. So, separate teachers for each. I don't know if they're going to want us at home or in the classroom. I for one, need to be in my room. I teach theatre, and I don't have the space or equipment at my house to do it, so I hope I can be in my room.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:58 PM

I would be the teacher you are in the classroom. If you put on a show there, then do that. If you don't put on a show there..then don't.

What adjustments I find when making videos:

1. Videos should be short. For 1st grade, I'd say 5 minutes or less.
    2. Dress how you would want to for school if for less than a 1 hour day.
    3. Make sure you use some visual aids such as a whiteboard or even words written large
    on paper.
    4. Talk a bit slower than usual...but not too much.
    5. Make sure lighting is good...this just takes some practice.