The Whoas Online teaching

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Jul 29, 2020.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 29, 2020

So, my school district is starting the school year off digitally. I have mixed feelings. Regardless, this is how it is going to be. I LOVE teaching and I do think for the most part, I am a pretty good teacher. However, I do not love making videos. I feel like I need to glam up, and well that isn't me. So then I am just being me, but I feel I don't look professional enough. Ugh! I teach first grade and I know parents will be looking at all the videos etc. Some teachers are getting the ring lights etc but I really don't want to do all that! Is that just how things are going to be? What do you do? Do I just be me, or put on a show?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020

I'll set up the lights I already have, but I teach film, so I already have lights.

I recorded several of my videos this summer to get ahead. I made sure I had on a bra, and usually wore a school shirt or T-shirt related to whatever genre films we were learning. I literally don't own makeup, so I bought some powder to put on to stop weird shiny spots, and I wore some chapstick so I didn't look completely dried out, but that's the best they got.

If I taught littles, I'd wear a silly hat or something in each video.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 29, 2020

I do not make myself the focus of my videos. I show my hands if I’m making something, or my screen if I’m explaining something. I have a presentation that goes along with my discussion, so I just use that.

Backroads, miss-m and bella84 like this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 29, 2020

This is what I did too. If I was doing a read aloud I MIGHT record myself holding the book, but I found it really worked better to put the book pages into a slideshow and record myself reading that way. For math or other videos, the focus was the work. If I recorded my screen on Zoom, my video was in it, but very small.

bella84 likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 29, 2020

I don't do any special setup. Just me in front of my webcam.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jul 29, 2020

My school has just decided to go entirely virtual. We had the choice earlier for parents to choose either virtual only, hybrid or on campus. So, separate teachers for each. I don't know if they're going to want us at home or in the classroom. I for one, need to be in my room. I teach theatre, and I don't have the space or equipment at my house to do it, so I hope I can be in my room.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020

I would be the teacher you are in the classroom. If you put on a show there, then do that. If you don't put on a show there..then don't.

What adjustments I find when making videos:

1. Videos should be short. For 1st grade, I'd say 5 minutes or less.
    2. Dress how you would want to for school if for less than a 1 hour day.
    3. Make sure you use some visual aids such as a whiteboard or even words written large
    on paper.
    4. Talk a bit slower than usual...but not too much.
    5. Make sure lighting is good...this just takes some practice.

Tired Teacher likes this.