The Whipping Boy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tootgravytrain, Aug 21, 2012.

1. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

Playing off another teacher's topic on here about her teacher friend being bullied by a principal, it raises an interesting question I want to put to all of you, based on what I've seen in every job I've had, teaching or non-teaching.

It's the issue of "The Whipping Boy."

It has become crystal clear to me based on all the jobs I've ever had - and in listening to friends and other people - that every place seems to "need" a Whipping Boy.

I believe, as I told the other poster on her thread, it's some weird or twisted "need" on the part of a principal, boss, supervisor, what have you.

I told the story, briefly, over there on her thread about our current Whipping Boy after our other Whipping Boy retired. I could see it coming plain as day. It seemed the principals had it all lined up and sure enough, soon as the original Whipping Boy retired, all attention went to the one I seen them handpick as his replacement, and it goes on to this day.

I could tell many, many stories about each job I've had - there's always been one, and if/when the current Whipping Boy leaves, there's soon another.

I used to think it was just human nature to prompt managers to have a safe, meek, harmless and passive Whipping Boy to take their anger, frustrations, what not out on instead of the entire staff (aka "The coward's way out).

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's something they teach! hahahah I mean really! I'm not sure, and maybe it is just human nature, but what do you all think?

Christ, I have a friend in the newspaper industry who has set record sales for their paper the past 7 years, a new GM comes in and makes HIM the Whipping Boy to the point he said "screw you," and went and got another job!

What do you all think?

3. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

Nobody knows of a Whipping Boy? Un-frekin-believable! I must live a sheltered life!

4. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 22, 2012

Well I'll be. I'm the only one who knows of a Whipping Boy! Who'd a thunk it?