The Whining Has Begun!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joy, May 18, 2013.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

May 18, 2013

So I posted on here last week about the school Talent Show that I have to organize for the end of the year. I had three moms contact me before the auditions even started so I knew that no matter what I did, someone would get mad. I had about 30 different kids try-out for it and had to cut it down to 14. That's bound to make someone mad. The principal and I auditioned people for three days. We then compared lists. Some of the kids were not chosen because of inappropriate music, not being prepared, or just because we can't choose everyone. I had a lot of dance auditions this year and knew that some dance mom would be upset if her daughter wasn't picked. I even put off letting everyone know for an extra day because I didn't feel up to hearing it.

So I let those that were chosen know yesterday and fifteen minutes after school I get the first and I hope only email. I wrote back later last night and the mom emails me again this morning. I let her know that the Principal and I really worked hard to keep things fair and that because the show is during the school day, we can't possibly choose everyone because there is a time limit. She's just really mad.

It just feels like such a negative way to end the school year! I just finished my first year of teaching in February and I've worked so hard with all of the kids. I just feel so frustrated that I have to hear about how horrible I am over a stupid little show that we put on the last day of school out of the spirit of fun. It sure isn't fun for me anymore!

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 18, 2013

I meant to comment the last time and forgot to come back to it. My school has grade level talent shows during their regular music times and any kid with appropriate music can perform. Printouts of the lyrics and CDs of music must be approved before they can perform. These are the auditions, but no matter what, they get to perform for their grade level at least. Then, we have 2 school wide talent shows for everyone to see. For the dances, I know the music teachers encourage groups so that more people can participate. Good luck with the parents, someone is upset no matter how you handle it.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 18, 2013

I'm glad ds's school has an open show for everyone who wants to be in it. It's in the evening and this year it was 3 hours long. Not all of the acts were very good, but I adored every second of it. (For the record, ds wasn't even in it.)

Since your school runs the talent show that way, all you can do is be very clear about the criteria and then let the complaints roll off your back. I don't envy your situation.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 18, 2013

It's disgusting behavior!

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 18, 2013

And people say my generation is entitled :rolleyes:

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

May 18, 2013

I really have tried to keep everything fair. The principal saw every audition too and approved the list before I announced it. I have to say though I don't think that there is any possible way of making it totally and completely fair. I explained to the mom that I did put them in categories this year and chose 2-3 of the top performers in each. However (I didn't tell the mom this), I'm not a dance teacher and neither is the principal. That's why we try to be fair but it is done in the spirit of fun. Did I hear about all of the hard work that I put into her daughter's music education this year? No, I just hear about how unfair I am to not include her daughter when she has won awards for her dancing in competitions. Do I hear any thank yous for organizing the whole thing and giving up my lunch to do auditions so that girls could use mats to be safe down in the gym? Of course not!

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 19, 2013

Joy, Thanks from me. I have had to sit through talent shows that allowed anyone and everyone to perform.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

I wouldn't even bother answering any more of her emails. You explained your reasoning and it was a tryout, so everyone knew it was a possibility that they wouldn't get chosen.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 19, 2013

Don't let the parent bring you down. You did everything in a fair manner. I know parents hurt when their kid is hurt and sometimes lash out, but every kid can't make it every time.

11. msufan

msufan Comrade

May 19, 2013

Next year shorten it to 2-minute acts and encourage students to perform in groups. Voila! Now no one needs to be cut for not being good enough, but only if their act is inappropriate.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 19, 2013

...and the "talent" show will be awful. Ignore the whining and move on is what I say.

13. Joy

Joy Cohort

May 20, 2013

So the mom who has been causing me the most trouble emailed me today and basically apologized. I feel better that it at least seems that she won't be causing anymore trouble but I sure could have lived without the whole thing! I do realize that sometimes it's just hard to be a parent!

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 21, 2013

Good! It's so rare that parents apolgize for being difficult with teachers when we are just trying to do the best job possible.