The Westing Game

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PCdiva, Apr 30, 2011.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2011

Have any teachers read The Westing Game to their class...or just know it enough to give me an idea...

One of my teachers is reading it aloud with her class, we video conferenced with another class, in another state..and they happened to be reading the exact same book in their class and were up to the same chapter!

THey want to get together for another video conference...and discuss the book or something when state testing is over and they are done with book...

Does anyone have any ideas for a game or activity they can do via video conference? I haven't read it since they are reading it with their classroom teacher so I'm not sure what types of games/activities can go with it.

Thanks

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 1, 2011

It was on our student book club list a few years ago. It's a mystery story-so maybe your class can make up some cryptic clues for the other class to decipher? That's a tough one-the book is about a building of offbeat residents who all follow clues to solve a mystery an old millionaire set up. It's the suspense of the mystery, plus you are getting to know the characters.

Can I just say, what a cool use of technology-skype student book club! :thumb:

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 1, 2011

Thanks for replying! I think it is going to wind up being just a book discussion. My teacher was thinking she maybe wanted to have students act out parts or something along those lines...I just wanted to put it out there to greater minds at A to Z! :)

The teachers are very busying getting ready for the state test, this week and next, so it will most likely be the week after.

I love that this school has video conferencing! Its amazing what the students have been able to learn from their peers across the country this year! You should've seen their faces when they asked the class in Ohio what book they were reading!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Could they do a Hot Seat discussion? Maybe have one class be different characters and the other class be interviews. Then each group of 2-4 students could answer as a character.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 1, 2011

I like that!!! Thanks!

I really should just read the book this week, the kids love it so it would be nice to be able to discuss with them. There is just so much going on this month and the teacher will be with her class when she brings them to me, I'm just there to work the equipment!

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 2, 2011

My daughter loved that book! It is a great mystery with surprises all the way through!