The Westing Game: I need help proving it's a worthwhile read

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by quesoqueen, Oct 17, 2007.

1. quesoqueen

quesoqueen Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

Howdy.

I would like to read the Westing Game with my reading class, but i have to prove first that it is a worthwhile read for middle schoolers. It won the 1979 Newberry Honor and is recommended by ALA and NCTE. Does anyone have any other insight into why one should teach this book? Anything is helpful, and much appreciated.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2007

What about the fact that it teaches deductive reasoning and problem solving skills in a way that is both approachable and enjoyable for middle school students?

4. ptlanguage

ptlanguage Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

I completely agree with Mrs. R. My kids thorougly enjoyed trying to keep everyone straight and figuring out "who dun it." We made posters that resembled "wanted posters" and put the clues and character traits of each character on the posters. At the time we read the book (last year), I found some webquests on the Internet that I used to supplement. Hope we have helped. It is a fun book to read.

5. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Nov 19, 2007

You can also teach the elements of a mystery and have them identify them. The vocab is out of this world! You can teach inference with it.