The week before break...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2013

What do you end up doing differently with your class(es)?

Our schedule is virtually the same, except with a early dismissal day on Friday added in. Since I've slowly been incorporating new aspects to the classroom in my first week and a half, my thoughts are that I don't want to make any wild changes, but perhaps incorporate a couple readings that we do about Christmas/holiday celebrations throughout the world, and how it differs from here? Or perhaps do some form of read-in on Friday that could include reading/researching different cultures' celebrations / different families (from our classroom) celebrations, developing some form of presentation, then sharing at the end of the day. (4th/5th split)

Sorry, I ended up thinking aloud quite a bit there :whistle:

(Also, unrelated, but any tips for relieving constant anxiety? I've been fighting massive amounts of anxiety to the point where I've yet to sleep a night without tossing/turning much of the night in the last week...and really the only thing it could be from is that anxiety)

3. LinguaTutor

LinguaTutor Rookie

Dec 13, 2013

Hello

Depending on the age of the students. Not sure how old yours are but for my elementary students, I have them write to Santa Claus about what they want, why they want it and how they will use it.

I'm not sure if this is effective for you but it works for me!

Not sure if this is a good idea, but if you want to discuss about how different nations celebrate X'mas, you can have your students write a passage about what they would do or how they would celebrate X'mas.

Hope this helps

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2013

We start trimester exams on Wednesday, so it's full steam ahead for us.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2013

Nothing different. On Friday, I will show a movie since its a half-day; either a History Channel special or a PBS Frontline doc. But I show movies a lot, anyway.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2013

We have a short week; Friday is an unpaid day (thanks to our new contract), so we're off. Monday, we'll be making gingerbread houses, Wednesday afternoon we are decorating gingerbread men with the grade 1 classes, Thursday, we have an school-wide assembly in the morning (complete with carolling) and a party or dance in the afternoon. In between all of the special events, we'll be continuing with all of our subjects.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 13, 2013

Normal week with half-day on Friday for us. My freshmen have a test on Revolutions on Wed, my sophomores have a test on the CIvil War on Thurs and everyone has a paper due on Friday. So, we aren't deviating at all (although the students are getting a bit squirrely :p).

We try not to emphasize the holidays at my school because it's such a low SES. We had a staff meeting this week and it's estimated that 40-45% of our students won't receive a single thing for the holidays, so we try not to play it up beyond a "Have a safe break."

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 13, 2013

Full steam ahead for Mon-Thurs. Friday is a half day. A good half of my students will be out because parents seem to think that nothing goes on during half days. This year I've adopted the "can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude. My plan is that we will do some fun things that can tie into my curriculum. I'm hoping to find some short little games and rotate in stations.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 13, 2013

I've given up trying to teach much of anything.

When Santa Claus comes to your school twice in one week the week BEFORE the last week of Christmas, it is impossible to get students to focus on much of anything else.

I'll still be doing some learning activites linked to Christmas, but they will not be our typical fare.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 13, 2013

We have exams Tues. - Fri. During non-exam periods, I'll show a short movie, then give students time to study. For those who don't need/want to study, I have a few holiday brain teasers and coloring sheets available if they want to color and destress.

In my drama class, we'll be doing holiday related drama games. Things like Christmas Carol charades, special holiday editions of The Wright Family listening game, etc.

In my film courses, we are watching their student films, then watching some holiday specials and analyzing them.

11. teachart

teachart Comrade

Dec 13, 2013

Xanax. It helps just knowing that I have it, and if I have a particularly bad night, taking one knocks me out. Which was 3x a week when I got it in September and is now 3x a month.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 13, 2013

Business as usual for the most part. The kids combined their Dojo points to buy a movie/popcorn event, so I made today a Polar Express day. They wore their pjs, did a sequencing activity witht he book and have themed math problems for homework. We had a Peter and the Wolf orchestra assembly mid-morning, so the day is pretty packed.

Next week we'll be cramming in writing, reading, math (Fraction test on Thursday) and explorers, but I'll try to make as much of it holiday themed as possible (we did Hanukkah last week so we've balanced the holidays out). Thursday will be an art day, making presents for our parents. Friday is a half day, so we're caroling at the retirement home down the block for our 'party'. The kids are nuts, but I don't want to chalk the whole week up to a loss.

Watching the kids work on their sequencing posters this morning, though, makes me realize I probably should lighten up a LITTLE-they really do love art and posters and other activities that sometimes I think are 'silly' or aren't rigorous enough.

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2013

I have been doing my best to keep going academically (reviewing for finals) while also incorporating more student-centered activities (games, pairwork) for this last week of classes before exams next week. We also had a huge sports rally today which changed up the routine and amped up the kids, right before my most challenging class (of course). I knew it was going to be a rough period and I tried not to let me anxiety show (deep breaths, keep smiling).

In terms of what helps, getting exercise and sunshine are helpful, although if you are suffering, don't hesitate to talk to your doctor. Otherwise you can get stuck in a cycle of not sleeping, which makes the anxiety worse, and so on...there is no shame in asking for help with this!

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2013

My Admin asks us not to give any tests or have any assignments/papers due on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday before break because it will entice students to come to school. I also work in a low SES city and the kids start dropping like flies on Wed - hopefully, no one shows on Friday.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 13, 2013

Whoa-you DON'T want kids to come to school?? What would they be doing otherwise? Watching tv or loitering?

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 13, 2013

Business as usual on Mon - Wed. We are doing a Jan Brett author study, so we'll be using "Who's Knocking on Christmas Eve" as a jumping point for some research on Northern Lights. All of our math centers are Christmas themed, as are our science lessons on the 5 senses. Thursday is our class Christmas party in the afternoon and then Friday is a caroling assembly and a school-wide movie.