The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt--have you read it? It's a great teacher book.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, May 14, 2016.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 14, 2016

Hi all,

Has anyone read this book? I had to read it for one of my grad. courses and it is such a powerful book. I was blown away at how great it was. It made me cry more than once! Has anyone used it for teaching purposes? I think it could possibly be a great book for high school especially considering it contains a lot of references to the Vietnam War era and Shakespeare.

Thoughts?

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

May 20, 2016

I've never read that one, but the follow up - Okay for Now - is in my top five favorite ya books of all time!!

linswin23 likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 21, 2016

The Wednesday Wars is one of the best children's books I have ever read. The book is a teacher's dream. The students love the book, and there is so much that can be taught from this book. There are so many lessons in this book, but it is not "preachy". The Wednesday Wars and Wonder are the two best children's books that I have read in the last 12 years.

5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 24, 2016

I am going to have to read Okay For Now this summer. Glad to hear it touched you all as well! I love connecting to other people, especially kids, through books!