The way things work

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by frankies_mom, Sep 30, 2010.

1. frankies_mom

frankies_mom Rookie

Sep 30, 2010

Funny the way things work sometimes. I guess it is that "Murphy's Law."

I have been hoping and praying for interviews the last 8 months. Not a peep from anyone. I finally got an interview and landed a long-term sub job until January. Started this week and I really am loving it. I am going to learn a lot and really feel this is a good situation. However, in the same week I have started this new job I have received 2 calls for interviews for permanent positions. Ughhh! Where were these calls a month ago! lol

Any opinions out there. If it is after-school hours is it worthwhile to go on these interviews just to see? Although, I have given my word on this job and don't really see myself not honoring it. But on the flip-side I have a family and in this economy interviews are hard to come by. I don't know. What would you do?

3. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Oct 1, 2010

I suspect all the players know that an LTS who gets a good full-time offer will leave the LTS.

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 1, 2010

I know just what you are talking about. I was told that due to budget cuts this spring I would not be renewed, so I began the process of job hunting. Received a call with good news, I was being renewed after all, hooray! After that, I got 2 job offers and it would have been for my own classroom. But you know, I signed the contract and felt I needed to honor it. I am happy where I am.... everything happens for a reason. Good luck with your decision.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2010

I would go to the interviews and see what happens. They have to know that certified LTS teachers are going to continue looking for permanent positions.

6. LovelyTee

LovelyTee Rookie

Oct 1, 2010

I would go on the interviews also. I was in a similar position that you were in, no calls for months and then I received calls back to back after getting hired. I recently left a job where I worked as a paraprofessional in a high school because I was given the opportunity to interview for a position teaching English, which I was offered.
    So I'd say go ahead and go on the interviews, you never know what may happen, and you have nothing to lose. Like you said, it is rough in this economy, so if you could land a permanent job for the rest of the school year, I'd go with that.

Good Luck!!

7. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Oct 1, 2010

Similar situation...PM if you want more details BUT my advice is go to the interview even if it's during school hours. Worry about what to do when you get the job offer.

8. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Oct 4, 2010

Schools understand that a LTS will leave if offered a full time position.

9. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Oct 4, 2010

i would go just for the experience of the interview if nothing else...and you never know it maybe something you cant turn down..just my :2cents:

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 5, 2010

Absolutely go on the interviews! You're a professional and you're looking for new opportunities which will boost what you already know and so you can help as many children as possible with your talents.

I don't think any school would be surprised with your choice :)

11. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 12, 2010

Go to the interviews! LT subbing is a great way to get a foot in the door, but this is not a good economy to be turning down jobs in! Best of luck!