The Watsons Go to Birmingham- 1963

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Who has read this children's novel? I heard it's hilarious and intriguing from a few sources. :) I may get 2 copies for my classroom.

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Aug 2, 2007

A teacher I work with reads it aloud to his third grade class each year because it's on about a fifth grade level I think. I've only read part of it although I have it in my classroom library. For some reason I seem to remember some controversy about language used in the book. I don't remember the specifics, though.

4. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I've read it with my class. They seem to have enjoyed it. It is funny, and discusses the importance of being educated all in one, so you can't go there.

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

I read it in college. We had to read a bunch of different genre and leveled books. I loved it! I recommended it to my son (he's going into 7th grade) but he hasn't read it yet. I think it's a great book. Also: Bud, Not Buddy.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

I have two copies of Bud, Not Buddy. :) Or maybe three. I think I'll purchase one copy of this book, then, and see what it's about. I heard even reading a few chapters aloud to the class can really get them involved with the book. I know one other book I've read, Walk Two Moons, has a tiny bit of language (d--- and s--), so I skipped over or substituted those words for another one.

7. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

my 4th graders LOVED this book...they do say a few words and kenny also says something to the effect of 'my dad thinks i didnt see him touch my moms breast' or something like that. i think they were sitting on the couch and the dad tried to do it discreetly (sp?)

considering the movies that most of my kids are allowed to watch (norbit, saw, my baby's daddy) and the music they listen to, the couple of words used in the book are nothing!

i HIGHLY recommend this book.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

We all had to read it, since I live in Flint (well, not Flint, but the suburbs). I went to UofM's Flint campus, and I don't know one ed student who hasn't read it! LOL. It is a good book. I don't think I'd ever use it for a read aloud, but I'd put a copy in my classroom for sure!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Definitely, then! I love some good historical fiction. :) I have many historical fiction books and have them separated by theme and then alphabetized.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

I read it in college. I remember that I liked it and I still own it, but I don't remember specifics. That's the bad thing about reading a ton of books-I never remember much about them!

11. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I read it this summer. I was curious since I'm in Alabama. It does a good job of setting up the character and time and setting, then in the last couple of chapters when you are into the boy's head, he experiences the historical element of the book so you feel more as if you're there.

12. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 3, 2007

It is an excellent book, although I would put at 5th/6th grade level, as opposed to 3rd and 4th. I read it with my sixth graders. There is "language" in it and i let the parents know about it before we read it. No one objected but I felt it was my responsibility to let them know ahead of time. Obviously we do not want to condone this language no matter how often the students have heard it in movies, etc.

Personally, I would read it before making it available to fourth graders.

13. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

We aren't allowed to read this one to our students....our district has a reading list for each grade, and it is on the 6th grade list I believe. It is a great book, and I have it in my classroom library. However, I don't think I would read it aloud to my students.

14. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

My sons whole class had a copy and that was their textbook. He loved the story. Oh, he was in 5th grade