The wage for a preschool teacher in Texas?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WayOfTeaching, Mar 25, 2008.

1. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

Could you tell me please what is the salary for a preschool teacher in Texas?(approx. wage)...either private or public preschool.
    I would like to have an idea about it.
    Thanks in advance!

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Mar 26, 2008

Wages vary everywhere, even in the same state. Most daycare teachers make somewhere from $8-$12/hour, and most district preschool teachers make the same as their elementary teaching counterparts. Does that help at all?

*Edit*

And I just found this site. Looks interesting..
    http://www.payscale.com/research/US/All_K-12_Teachers/Salary

4. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Assistant Teachers here start out at around 7.25. If they raise minimum wage, I'll need another raise to make more than that. Ugh.

5. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

Thank you so much Joyride and Mimibee.
    It was really helpful.
    Wow...a teacher in preschool earn only 8$/hour? wow that's a little.
    Teaching elementary students is more difficult than teaching preschool students...and they have the same wage....this is beyond my comprehension.

Thanks a lot again.

6. Myname

Myname Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

I am in a preschool my boss owns the preschool and rents space somewhere and I make 11.50

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

I worked in one last year as a lead teacher for preschool (daycare type place) and I made 11.00 an hour. The director told me that was the most she was ever allowed to pay someone who was just starting. There was a girl working there two years who was still making 9!

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

Are you referring to the chart? That is talking about public schools that have a preschool program. Those teachers are certified in early childhood education, as many Texas elementary educators are. They should definitely get paid what they get paid and make the same as other teachers. Daycare preschool teachers are on an entirely different scale.

Personally, I think it is not easier to be a preschool teacher at public school by any means. You usually have way more family issues, behavior issues, language issues, Head Start issues, and you are the first one to start uncovering learning disabilities etc. Plus, and I am not sure on this but I think you seem to get less respect from upper level teachers in the school.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Mar 28, 2008

responses in red

10. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

Please take this kindly, as I do truly mean this very kindly. In response to Way of Teaching, although I have not taught kindergarten students, I am not sure that it is harder to teach them than pre-k. Most of my pre-k students arrived in my class recognizing one or two letters, and are all now reading. They use a kindergarten mathematics book, and other than money and time, have been able to comprehend the majority of the work. I have 20 students. We teach spanish, history, science, 2 art projects a day, music and computer and have no resource teachers. We serve lunch in our classrooms ourselves, and clean up ourselves. We also put cots out and pick them back up, and do the weekly laundry for the sheets... including removing and replacing 20 sheets... It is a long day (7 am to 4 pm) and a lot of work. Pre-k children often have toilet accidents and need some type of assistance in changing clothes, etc. And, at our preschool, we do not have a janitor throughout the day... if someone vomits, you clean everything... If you have an ill child, there is no nurse, and if you have a difficult child, there is no true "office". Although kindergarten teachers have spent time in college and truly do deserve higher salaries than pre-k teachers, I don't really agree that they work harder.... Please take this kindly... it's just food for thought.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2008

I agree with you 100% PreK Preppie- I don't think I could ever do what you do. I'd be exhausted. When you think about it.. Pre - K can actually set the tone for the rest of a child's school experience. I think your job is worth so much more.

12. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

I am a pre-school teacher in Texas and can tell you, without a CDA or state certification, you're extremely lucky to get over $10-11/hr. I was able to get $12/hr based on my experience and my BA, but I know I've hit the ceiling. If I ever want more, I need more education.

If you're young and just starting college with the dream of becoming a pre-k teacher, major in education and minor in something really fun. Take a lot of interesting classes. My experience as a pre-k teacher is you never know when something that seems to be unrelated becomes an excellent resource. Everyday I'm so grateful for my primate behavior class, because you can always entertain 4-year-olds with funny monkey stories!

If you've already finished your degree and it wasn't in education, take a job at a school that offers TeacherTrak. This is a state education program for working teachers to earn their CDA while making money. If your school doesn't offer it, you'll just keep hitting the same ceiling over and over again. It's only a 2-year program and I'd say, totally worth it.

Lastly, my two cents about what pre-k teachers do vs. other teachers... the ones who should get paid the most are the GREAT ones. That's of course not the way it is, but if things were fair, that's how it'd be. ALL teachers of ALL levels work hard, but it's the ones that inspire, not just teach, who deserve the most recognition. If I had a million dollars to give away, there are 4 teachers from my education that I'd split it among. And they are all very, very different.

13. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Mar 30, 2008

Thank you for your response, Miss Frizzle. Happily I will be leaving my current job at the end of the summer for something better suited for me... 1/2 day with a bagged lunch and no naptime... following public school holidays and summers off... :)

14. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Mar 31, 2008

I'm so sorry if I offended or insulted somebody.
    I'm from Europe...and there, the things are like exactly what I wrote above in this thread. So I'm so sorry again!
    But thank you for your help and suggestions.
    Next time I'll be more cautious of what to write.

Thanks again!