The Wacko parents and the admins that enable them :(

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lafogosa, Oct 14, 2014.

1. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Oct 14, 2014

I am not going to allow you to sit in a conference and yell. It's not acceptable.

As an administrator, it is not okay for you to allow a parent to yell at your teacher like a banshee.

Not okay. I'm tired of this...:mad:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2014

I sat at a CST meeting today where the parent threw the last to
    Two teachers her son had under the bus. Sometimes you just say nothing as to not escalate the situation.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 14, 2014

What is CST?

Sorry OP. That's terrible.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2014

Child study team:

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2014

I'm sorry, OP. :(

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 16, 2014

I've had that happen a lot (parents bad-mouthing former teachers). Don't they realize that we're pretty much all friends???

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 16, 2014

I would not want to be in the same room with the parent ever again in that case. If there's another meeting I would try to get a union representative to sit in with you. You should not be treated that way and the administration seem like cowards.

9. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Oct 16, 2014

This year I was accused of being racist towards a biracial boy in my class. His parents said he was getting in trouble because he was black. No, your son is getting in trouble because he hurts people and does cartwheels in the back of the room shouting "Look at me!"

When I was confronted with what his parents accused me of I just stood, wooden faced and said "My husband is black. My children are black." I know this is terrible of me, but I told my admin not to mention that most of my family was black. If they wanted to take me to the school board, like they did his kindergarten teacher, it would be the most entertaining school board meeting we've had in a while.

10. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Oct 23, 2014

Edit: It is almost always the parents of troubled students who accuse teachers of discriminating.

That is not to say that there are not teachers who do discriminate, but the majority of us are not like that.

What I have found to always be the case is that there's an academic or behavioral problem with the child that the parent is in denial about, so they try to deflect attention onto the teacher.

Generally my P does not tolerate that and stands up for the teachers. However, we have had a few cases this year where the parents made a stink and the P moved their child the same day to the class of their choice.

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2014

I was accused of being racist a few years ago. The parent said that I gave all white kids parents my phone number and not the Hispanic. My response is I don't give my number to anyone white, green, or polka dotted they don't get my number. Then we had a parent who accused the school of being racist. Him and his family were among just a hand full of black kids in the school district at the time. He was in my class but the parents never said it about me, just the principal. That was a crazy year!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 23, 2014

That seems like a common last ditch effort to get what they want and make it seem like nothing is their kid's fault. I really hope that never happens to me.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2014

I love when the parent tells it to the kid instead of to the teacher's face. "My mom says you don't like us cause we're black." Or even better, "My mom doesn't like you because you're white." I didn't have that one but a colleague did.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2014

All parents are going to be a little wacko about their children -- it's hard not to be about something that important to you. I think I manage to temper a lot of my own wackiness (and I've never accused or even thought a teacher was being racist), but still. Recently a teacher sent me a message saying my son was "choosing to ignore" chances to be prepared in class. I know my son pretty well, I can very well imagine him not being prepared but I also know it's because he's flighty and disorganized, not because he's deliberately choosing a behavior. I sent an email saying we'd talk to him about his preparation and then calling her out on the confrontational tone.

Maybe it makes me a wacko parent. But that's a wackiness I'll continue.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 25, 2014

The problem comes in where the parent is more concerned with being right than what is actually occurring. Some feel guilty about whatever shortcomings they have as a parent or any issues their child has (because of them) so it's easy to lash out at the teacher. Something tells me, 3Sons, that your wackiness is less troublesome than the parents the other posters are describing.

16. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Oct 25, 2014

Exactly. I have had parents disagree with me, but if it's in a respectful manner (like what 3Sons described), then I have no problem. It's when a parent is more concerned with attacking me than getting to the root of the issue with their child that I become upset. To me, that's the definition of a Wacko parent.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

I consider myself very lucky because generally speaking our parents are very supportive. They probably know how much trouble their kids are and appreciate us even for wanting to work at our school.
    So far I had 2 parents (moms) who didn't like me. One I never had the chance to make it better, because her daughter transferred out. I think it was my mistake that we started off like that, and I have learned from it.
    The other parent just didn't like me, and tried to lecture me about her son, asked me if I have had experience with children (my P told her that I was a fairly new teacher) because she has 5 kids and she knows.
    Over time I was able to turn the situation around, where she even invited me to her house since I live close to her (her son told her), an offer which of course I would never take her up on. But that let me know that we were ok.
    This year her son is back, we've met face to face at our back to to school night and she loves me, she comes to the school often.
    Our issue is not that parents try to lecture us or roll their eyes or complain, instead some of them can't control their kids, won't follow through at home, or are actually asking us what to do and how to parent.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2014

Oh my goodness! Yes it would be. Seriously it´s rediculous what some people will just throw out there.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2014

Our admin is very, very supportive. If parents disrespect a teacher, they get a warning from the school board. If they had several warnings I think they are finally asked to leave (I honestly don´t know if there has ever been a situation that got that far....also, we are obviously a provate school). Last week a dad was very rude to one of our teachers, asking her ¨How many years will it take you to learn Raz-kids?¨ (a reading program we use of which our teacher is new to our school and the program), and speaking rudely in general. Our P will be calling him in this week to discuss the situation with him. Our school does not tolerate this.