The Vacationers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Bliss, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Oct 15, 2008

My class loooovvves to take vacations. They love it so much that I have had 4 students already take week long vacations. It's really starting to annoy me because when these kids return, they are totally lost.

Our handbook states that parents should not expect teachers to prepare work ahead of time for kids who are on vacation. However, I always give them work at the parents request because I don't want the kids to fall too far behind. I'm starting to get tired of doing this. I guess it's my fault for accomodating them, but I did not anticipate 4 vacations by October. Can I even address this issue? I don't want to single people out but this is becoming a very bad habit with this class. Any advice?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2008

Since it's in the handbook, why not ask your principal how she wants you to handle it? Or tell the parents they'll need to clear it through her before you can send home work.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 15, 2008

I agree with Aliceacc. They may ask why you allowed them to get the work ahead of time last time but wont let them get it this time. Tell them you did not think it would become a regular thing or with so many students.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 15, 2008

I find this so annoying. Yes, occasionally once in a lifetime things come up and I don't expect parents to pass them by (say, your brother is graduating from college in another state) and emergencies happen. However, it was cheaper/easier to go during school just doesn't cut it.

A agree with Alice about asking the principal. Since it is so widespread, would the P consider addressing it in a newsletter? I would also stress attendance as part of the grade (particpation) and as a learning experience. The kids that are absent just cannot make up the lab that you disjoined or a lecture from a guest. i would stress this at parent meetings so word gets around that Miss Bliss doesn't allow make-up work before next year's parents get any ideas ;)

6. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Boy, I feel old...but I remember from being in school was that going on vacation was done during times when school was out of session. Aren't there attendance requirements? What is this teaching kids about the real world. Once you are working, you can't just go on vacation at any time. You are expected to go to work everyday you are scheduled. If you are sick and unable to go in, you take a sick day. What would parents say if they hear that their child's teacher is going on vacation in the middle of the regular school term. I don't think they would be very supportive. Who suffers? the child because they are going to miss some vital instruction and the other children because their teacher is going to have to go over this same material and possibly not able to cover another area that is very important.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Oct 15, 2008

We are not required to give the students any work. It is their responsibility to make up all missed work when they return. Sometimes this becomes an issue with parents but, hey, they decided to vacation during school. Several times students were quite lost when they came back. My answer was you need to complete the HW and read the pages you missed. My principal backs the teachers up on this. With everything going on in the room there is basically no time to try and catch a student up on one week's worth of missed work. Now, if they were out for an illness or death, that is a completely different story. Work is then sent home, or I will take the time during a special to try and catch the student up.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 16, 2008

We have attendance rules here. After the 3rd unexcused day, they are reported to the truancy officer for court. They are only allowed 5 parent notes per semester, so if they are going to lie like some might do, they better hope they don't need those parent notes for when the kid IS sick.

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 16, 2008

I'll take the opposite view and say vacations during the school year ROCK! They are truly a real-world learning experience. I have great memories of going on school-year vacations with my family, and I am happy for my kids at school when they get to go away. Some parents may only have certain times of the year that they can take their vacation time.

Instead of sending home work, why not make the student create a vacation journal that incorporates all the learning standards you'll be covering? These journals could go into the class library and give the rest of your kids a great way to read and learn about places they might never get to go.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 16, 2008

Just give them a list of the concepts that their child will be missing and direct them to the internet.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2008

I got a note from one of my kids the other day. She'll be attending some sort of modeling/acting function in LA just after Christmas and will miss the first 2 or 3 days back.

I LOVE this kid. And she's an A student (I taught her once before.)

But school policy says we are not allowed to give assignments ahead of time. So, when I remember it, I'll pass this note on to administration to handle.

Plus, realistically, giving her 5 pages from a math book isn't going to teach her how to do the math involved. She'll have to come to extra help after she's gotten the notes. (I don't make up notes ahead of time; the second problem I choose depends on how much trouble they had with the easier first problem.)

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2008

We have very strict attendance rules- after 4 days out in one month, we have a meeting with the attendance counselor, and after 10 absences, we have a meeting with the counselor and principal...then after 18, the child is retained.
    I had one student last year who was out for 2 weeks because his grandmother was dying and the family left to go see her (in Albania), and mom got yelled at by the principal- she has no mercy. Obviously, I gave him work, and thankfully, he didn't fall too far behind.