The Unhealthy Truth

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chebrutta, Jul 18, 2009.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

Has anyone read this book by Robyn O'Brien? I'm on my way to the library to pick it up.

3. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

No, I haven't. What's it about?

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

All the additives, preservatives, and dyes used in American foods. I guess a lot of what we use in the USA is banned in Europe - we allow a product to be used until it is proven unsafe; Europe won't allow a product until it's proven safe. Side effects of genetically altered corn, milk, and soy; aspertame, etc.

Most heartbreaking: Yellow 5. I love processed mac & cheese. I read the first chapter and I'm really interested now.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 18, 2009

Yikes! I'm going to see if my library has that!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2009

I learned about all of this and more in one of my classes at the university. Since then, I have stopped eating any food with corn syrup and those lovely dyes, in addition to any other strange chemically produced additives.I am a label reader and I will not buy the prodect if I cannot grow the ingredients in the food item.

PLUS, I also threw out all of my makeup and bought Bert's Bess makeup, which, unfortunately, they don't make anymore. So now, I have to buy this very expensive all natural makeup, but it's worth it. I also threw out all of my lotions, deodorants, soaps, shampoos, etc, and now only purchase these items through Bert's Bees. That class scared me, but I am so glad that I was required to take it.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

It amazes me what our country allows us to have in our food, but doesn't allow us to have as far as medicine. In Venezuela, you can get a cavity lasered out in one visit with no novocaine, for around $50. Of course you can't do that here, but they don't care about the additives in the food. Mindboggling.

It also annoys me that they act like the obesity epidemic is such a huge deal, but how much research and medical care do you see for obese people? Yes, people can practice self-control, but there is obviously something else going on...

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

Have you tried Aveda?

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

I want to get this book.

It has been so nice dialoging with everyone about food over this past week!

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

Obesity is following increased packaged/processed food consumption around the world. I've lived in Ireland and the Netherlands and food patterns are very different. Even in A'dam and places with large supermarkets, packaged foods and junk food choices are limited. It is expected that people are going to cook something. But Irish stores are much like American stores with an emphasis on quick meals and short cut boxed items. Not that Dutch people don't eat their share of garbage--street food is very popular, but in general it is much healthier with a more whole food emphasis. Ireland has a growing obesity problem; the Netherlands, not so much. Of course there are other lifestyle differences too, but this one is striking. Also, the Dutch do not do low fat, but Ireland is getting a lot of the same low fat/low this/low that craze that we have here.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

Also, grocery stores are smaller and much less conveniently located! My friend lives in the Netherlands and Switzerland for work, and she would get so frustrated because in Switzerland (at least in her city) the grocery stores were in the mall, and the mall closed by 7. The stores I visited were stocked with much more produce, CHEESE, and fresh meats.

In Vietnam, you buy your food almost exclusively on the streets or in the water. There are street vendors all over the place selling fruits and veggies, a woman seated on the corner with freshly slaughtered meats. You go to a street market and buy your rice or coffee. I think in all the time I spent in Vietnam I saw 1 overweight person. Cross over a couple countries to Thailand, and you are much more likely to see a chunky Thai. The difference is Thailand has McDonald's, KFC, and other fast food stores all over.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

Well, I finished it. It's definitely geared towards parents & feeding children... but I'll never look at dairy/soy/corn the same way ever again (and for the 1st time, I'm *really* glad I'm lactose intolerant & avoid anything dairy except yogurt & cheese). I'll definitely be modifying my diet to include more organic from now on.

13. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I went through a ton of testing for Celiac and related allergies and intollerances the past few months. Having to change my diet for these health reasons has dramatically opened my eyes to the kinds of foods (or should I say non-food) we eat. I have read this book and although it is a little choppy at points, it is an amazing eye opener that I have been trying to get as many other people to read as possible.

I will not buy any processed food that is not made from food. I hate carmel coloring, natural flavors, and all the various preservatives that they put in food. Why do we need natural flavoring in fruit juices? Isn't the juice itself natural enough? It just drives me crazy. Next time you buy soy sauce look at the ingredients of the cheap brands and then compare to the more expensive naturally brewed kinds. The difference is amazing.

Food is cheap nowadays because we are not eating food. We are eating chemicals. And, many of these chemicals have never been proven safe because every government agency and national food manufacturer each point the finger at someone else to do the testing.

Did you know that the nitrates/nitrites found in almost all hotdogs, lunch meats, and the like are used in labs to CAUSE cancer in lab rats? At yet we eat this stuff on a daily basis. Lunch meats can be made without nitrates/nitrites, but it's cheaper to use them so it continues.

Sorry, stepping down now. :soapbox: This has just become such an issue with me lately and I wish more people were raising a stink because then something might get done about it.

BTW here are some great documentaries about almost the same thing.

King Corn - a little slow, but shows how genetically modified corn actually causes the corn growers to LOSE money on their crops every year (subsidaries to the rescue):
    http://www.kingcorn.net/

Food Inc - I have not seen this one due to life events. It is out in theaters right now but I really want to:
    http://www.foodincmovie.com/

The future of Food - This one really relies on scare tactics but it also has a lot of great information.
    http://www.thefutureoffood.com/

Please pass this book to your friends and family and recommend it to anyone that will listen. Go see the documentaries or do more research on your own. We can make a change in our food supply it will just take enough people who care.

Okay, I'm done now.