The Unclipped Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rebecca1122, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

I am moving to first grade this year, which is where I did my student teaching two years ago. I have been thinking a lot about my classroom management. I had Conscious Discipline training in the past and really would like to not have a clip chart behavior system. But it seems that every other primary teacher in my new school uses one. I guess I am looking for some positive encouragement from others who have not had a clip chart/turn card/stoplight system that it does work! What are your experiences?

I have been teaching middle school the past two year so obviously I did not use a clip chart with them lol! This blog post was something I came across on Pinterest and I find myself thinking her ideas are aligned with my teaching style...
    http://teachinginprogress.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-i-will-never-use-behavior-chart.html

Any thoughts to share?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 21, 2013

Like you, I don't like clip charts or flipping cards. However, my school requires that we have a discipline plan. I developed one using logical consequences (you break it, you fix it, you lose it, you replace it, you're stressed, go cool down.) Fortunately, my administration supports this concept. My first school, we were all required to use the red/yellow/green cards and have them on display -- and I hated it with a passion. I was so glad when I left that school. Since then, I've never used one.

Now I work in a private school, and I find no need for flipping cards. I think logical consequences are the way to go.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

I do not use any kind of public behavior system. There are different things I have used over the years. Sometimes I have attached a small chart to each desk and as the day progressed, I added stars or stamps as they earned them. I do use public displays of positive behavior (m+m's, stickers, hand stamps, etc)

I focus my behavior system on deescalating poor behaviors before they get severe. Walking around the room most of the time, gentle hand on a shoulder, the "teacher look", etc.

Some times I do pull a child aside for a short talk about behavior.

If you train the children from day 1, show them respect, even 1st graders can benefit from this type of reinforcement. Little children want nothing more than to please their teacher.

5. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

I teach in a private school as well, it is good to hear that you have success with logical consequences!

Good to hear that this philosophy works for you! I agree that prevention is much easier than reaction!

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2013

I work in public school and have never used a public behavior modification plan, like Swansong & Rainstorm.

7. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

I stopped us a clip system 8 years ago and will NEVER go back. I made the switch to conscious discpline about 5 year ago and am so excited to be working a school where that will be a school wide program!

This a blog of a 1st grade teacher who used conscious discpline in her classroom. She has lots of great info and pictures if you go back and look.

http://heathersfirstgradeheart.blogspot.com/

8. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

I'm intrigued. I've used the clip chart for the past 2 years but I really focus on the positives and students moving up the chart - really powerful stuff. I like that the good students are rewarded for good choices - and it is the majority of the class that are good. I do notice that it's almost always the same kids moving up and the same few kids moving down. It doesn't really change the poor choices being made. I've been stewing about what to change to when I move from 3rd grade to 5th grade in a few weeks.
    I'm going to look into conscious discipline. Any good resources for a newbie?

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

I use a clip chart but would be intrigued to learn what other options I have besides the clip chart.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

No public behavior systems for me, either!
    I use an economy! Even my 2nd graders were great with it!
    When I was departmentalized, we used a 'punch card' so we would be more consistent.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

So, is the idea that there are still consequences, but kids are not moving a clip or flipping a card?

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

I use a punch card too, but only kids who stay on green get a punch. How do you do it?

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 21, 2013

I don't use a clip chart system. I spend a lot of time at the beginning of the year teaching routines and expectations. We build a safe classroom community and then I use logical consequences when necessary. I often ask students if they can fix the problem of if they need my help to fix it.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2013

There is still a behavior plan, just no visible way to know who is having a good or bad day. We make the class rules together, then refer back to them when they are not kept. For example, if the rule is to raise your hand before speaking, and someone calls out, I say, "Jane, you broke the rule about raising your hand. Please sit at your desk until you are ready to keep all the class promises," or something like that. Does that make sense?

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 21, 2013

I do not use a behavior "system," either. Natural consequences, and mutual respect is the way I operate. ;) And I almost always involve students in coming up with ideas for a consequence.

16. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

Here is the website with info:
    http://consciousdiscipline.com/about/conscious_discipline.asp

Dr. Bailey has several books out. I recommend starting with the book Conscious Displine which explaines the brain research behind the model as well as stradagies and structures to use in your classroom.

You can find some clips from Dr. Bailey here on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j3gF1dh_t4&list=TLblDeQoCrmtI this should be a playlist with 20 clips about conscious discpline basics.

17. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 21, 2013

This blog post has links to other blog posts from teachers who use positive management techniques and do not have a clip chart. I went through and read all of the different posts, there are a lot of different ideas.... You might want to check them out!

http://teachinginprogress.blogspot.com/search/label/behavior chart

I think what makes me the most nervous about straying from what the other teachers are doing is being in a new school and not having a real formal/concrete 'system' to present to parents.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

This was with 5th grade and we switched classes:
    [​IMG]

Kids received a letter for infractions (per key) and a punch if they made it through the block without an infraction. Cards had to be dated and signed over the weekend. If they had a certain number of punches (1st Q- 15, 2nd Q- 16, 3rd Q- 17, and 4th Q- 18), the date, AND their parent signature, they could use it to 'bump' a non-test grade. If they didn't get it signed, they received an "H" on their new card for not completing their homework. With one year's class, I had to resort to ripping up good cards on Monday and sending notes home with bad cards. They NEVER got their card signed. Once I started ripping up good cards, the return rate was much, much better.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

So, I could I incorporate something like this in my class? I do punches at the end of the day for those on green. So who would not get a punch? I also think this won´t fly with my grade level, or Spanish teacher who comes in and teaches them for an hour. I am liking this idea, I just don´t think the Spanish teacher will be on board, and our whole team has to use a uniform system.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2013

Thanks for the visual, by the way!!! I love it. :)

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

Just curious, but is all the punching, clipping and collecting really worth it? It seems like a lot of work for the teacher. I firmly believe that students should be in charge of their own behavior, and this seems like the teacher is doing it all. I know I couldn't keep up!

Do we report daily academic progress? If we are updating parents daily about behavior, what does that say about our focus?

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Speaking for myself- I only used the punch card when I was departmentalized. It not only kept track of behavior, but also homework and whether or not they were prepared. Since the kids switched classes, I punched their card on the way out the door- and I would often pick a student to do it for me.
    There is no way I could keep up with punching their cards every few hours during the day, which is why I don't use that in a self-contained classroom.
    Since it was still elementary school and they switched classes, we wanted to be able to see patterns/habits and monitor them.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

My TA would punch the cards at the end of the day.

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

I agree with this. I have gotten a lot of good out of this guy's advice. It leaves the kids 100% responsible for their own behavior, and leaves little room for them to get mad at the teacher or argue about it. The teacher does not have to remember who's got a 1, 2, or 3; who's had a warning; etc.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 22, 2013

We use a behavior sheet. It keeps track of behaviors and converts to a weekly behavior grade. All kids start with 100 points. Each infraction (other than bad attitude or exception like hitting) takes 2 points away. Bad attitude, hitting, ect take more, depending on how serious they are. Earning a C means a letter home. A D is a phone call home (by the student) and a trip to the office. An F is Saturday detention. Every grade has their own version and scale of points. They get tougher the higher the grade.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I have seen that site recently since another thread surrounds an article he has on his site (one in which I don´t quite agree with). Do you know if he has an article on his site that specifically adresses this topic?

27. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

Hi, TamiJ,

Yes, here is one. What do you think?

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

It´s simple, which I like. I don´t know if I can get the other teachers on board, though.

By the way, how do you keep up with who needs a note going home? I normally know because anyone on red would get a note home. Do you just note it down somewhere? I tend to forget, which is one reason I like the visual reminder. Also, little ones have to be redirected a lot, but I guess it would just have to be made clear that if the behavior continues,then that´s a time out. If it continues afterward, a note goes home. I have got to think about this.

29. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

Gosh, I'm glad I don't have to get other teachers on board. That might be a challenge because every little detail would be discussed, debated, etc. I admit, I might just go with whatever was already decided :(

Keeping track of who needs a letter home is not as challenging as it sounds because I only use this "system" for routine rules, like walking in the classroom, not shouting out answers, etc. Usually, after a couple weeks practicing and playing with the rules, kids are consistent about following them. There are usually only one or two who have a hard time breaking bad habits and end up with consequences. The idea behind the article you mentioned that is getting controversial on the other thread is, give the consequence every time, without emotion or lectures or eyerolls, and watch for improved behavior from the whole class.

For big deal behavior like hitting, teasing, or gossiping, I deal with each situation individually. There are usually big deal problems leading a kid up to being that out of line, and I want to try to deal with both sides of the situation.

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I really like the idea of this, but as I mentioned each grade level at my school has to have the same system. We use a stop light system, and I have an extra color where students can move up (as well as allowing students move back up after they have moved down). I admit, though, that every time before we go to recess I have to check to see who is not on green. I tend to not remember when someone has moved down, so the visual helps me. Maybe the more I learn about this I might be able to plead the case to my team. One of the teachers on our team does Responsive Classroom, so I think I can easily pursuade her.

31. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 22, 2013

I call home when the behavior is severe (swearing, refusing to follow directions, physical fighting) or if a smaller behavior (i.e. talking at the carpet) becomes a pattern.

You don't need to call home every time someone has a bad day. Everyone needs a chance to learn the appropriate behaviors and everyone is allowed an 'off' day or two. I only call home when everything I've tried at school doesn't work to break a habit.