"The Together Teacher"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Jul 15, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

http://www.thetogetherteacher.com/

Just sharing this resource. Admittedly, I did NOT have my life together last year. :whistle: Notes, papers, handouts, copies, deadlines...you name it...hot mess. HOT. MESS.

I am determined to get it together for my 2nd year, especially since I'm moving to SPED in a new grade and school. This site and accompanying book has been really helpful about creating a system. The heart of the message is to track your time and commitments in one place so that you are maximizing every minute of the week and have time to be a human being. I downloaded the Notes sheet alongside the book and legitimately went through all the exercises to create my own "together teacher" binder. I'm super excited to use it!

The author says we use too many post-it notes, online calendars, email alerts, and whatever else that get disorganized and waste time. If you already have a system that works for you, cool! If you're like me and need some guidance, check it out. She's got it all compacted to 5 tabs. She also has some good advice on organizing teacher space/resource materials in the classroom.

:thumb:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

I just eyeballed it for a second-- it looks like a fabulous resource!!!
    Is there any way to make it into a sticy on the New Teachers forum?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Thanks for sharing. I definitely need to get myself more organized!

5. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

Thank you for sharing. They have some really great articles.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Looks good! Bookmarked it:thumb: even seasoned teachers can use a little organization help sometimes!

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

This looks great! I usually start off organized and things slowly start to pile up :lol:.

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

I signed up for her mailing list and with it, had access to one of the chapters of her book. I purchased it. I'm pretty stingy with my money but this looks worthwhile. Thanks.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

So glad you find it useful! What I like is that she was a teacher. She said she tried all kinds of planners and things, but nothing really matched "the complexity of teaching." Her book also has different tracks for different styles, starting with paper based moving to all electronic systems. She doesn't shove anything down your throat but really encourages adjusting to your style. All the documents are .docs so you can edit the templates to fit your needs. Sometimes all I really need is a visual example to get me started.

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

The introduction to the book talks about her only having taught three years as a TFA teacher. She then did TFA training and was worked as an operator of a charter school, with just three years of teaching. The web sites are currently down. Not much actual classroom experience.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 16, 2012

Does that really negate her ideas? :dunno:

12. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

Thanks! I haven't checked it out yet but in theory sounds like a resource I could really use!

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 16, 2012

Organization is organization is organization. The person with exceptional organizational skills will be able to organize anything in any job. So, if we are talking about planning and organizing time and things, I expect her ideas will be coming from life experience as well as teaching. She was probably organized from the start.

Take what works for you. Ideas are great, follow-through for the disorganized is usually the hardest part.