The Things that 1st graders say

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by WonderW05, Oct 28, 2007.

1. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Oct 28, 2007

I thought it would be cool if we could all submit something funny that our little ones have said in class this year or in the past. I know everyday our kids learn new skills, strategies, or they see something but maybe in their own way. So here is mine to start us off:
    We are learning about solids, liquids and gas and my kids have learned that wood is a solid, liquid is water, and gas is the air we breath. One day while testing a little girl one of my little guys turned to me and said, " teacher, I have to use the bathroom, and......and....that is a liquid. He was totally serious, but I was shocked and couldn't help to chuckle to see that he had made a connection. That made the rest of my school year to say the least. I cannot wait to hear from the rest of you:D

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

Good thing he didn't say it was a solid.:eek: hahaha.

4. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Oct 28, 2007

I was reviewing verbs with the class, and asked them to give me some examples. The children came up wit things like run, jump, play, sing. One little guy raised his hand and proudly said "fart".:unsure:

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2007

We were talking about careers and one little boy asked me why I don't have a job!!! And I thought being a teacher was a job!

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

My first year, I had a small group and I was teaching about the sound "sh." I asked them to give me examples of words that started with the "sh" sound - you guessed it! Lots of great words, then all of a sudden one little girl yells out "s---!!" She was very proud of herself. I just said, "Yes it does start with the "sh" sound" and I moved on quickly. You can bet all of my words on the "sh" sound after that were constructed very differently! :blush:

7. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Oct 30, 2007

I had one tell me the other day. "Miss H.. my dad's middle name is *Bob* and my mom's middle name is *suzie*. (since I knew these as their first names, I asked him..) "So what are their first names?" "Dad and Mom", he replied.

8. sm76

sm76 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007

Earlier this year, we were working on the sound of "m" in a phonics lesson. I always draw a picture to go with the words the kids tell me. One boy gave me the word "mummy". I confirmed he meant the kind in a pyramid, and then printed the word.

Then I said, as I was drawing it, "I hope I can draw a mummy, it has some kind of cloth covering it." And behind me I heard a little voice say, "Or toilet paper, I've never really been sure which."

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2007

I posted this before on another similar thread, but it was so cute I have to re post it.
    We were talking last year about who is on the penny, nickel and dime. I asked the class if they remembered who was on the nickel and one little girl said, "George Clooney?"

10. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 2, 2007

Josh and Devin are both students in my class. My school has a big deaf ed program and Devin's bother Joseph is in a class that has deaf ed kids. So randomly one day Josh says "Devin's little brother is half indian and half sign language". (He is neither indian, nor deaf). I was CRACKING UP!

11. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Nov 3, 2007

Mine experience isn't so much cute as it is disturbing. The second week of school one of my kids who repeated K so it's his 3rd year in school came up to me and said "I think I gotta go number 2 but I ain't sure." I don't think I ever replied--I just stared at him with my mouth open. What *do* you say to that?

I also have one who I think has asperger's is constantly telling about the 16 possums him and his daddy caught that morning or his pet crow. I know he's a big outdoors-y kid so I guess maybe when he's out in the woods he imagines those things and to him they become real.

12. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Nov 4, 2007

I have a student of Middle Eastern decent who is borderline brilliant. He has a slight accent. Last week we were working on bar graphs- counting objects, making tally marks, then filling out the graph.
    I threw out a question on how we could organize our data regarding what kinds of candy they got for Holloween. He raised his hand and said "We can use Italian marks."

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 4, 2007

My kids were doing word family sorts and one child piped up, "Mrs. B, does crap go in the -ap family?"

14. kwiatt1st

kwiatt1st Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

when one of my kids lost her tooth and the tooth fairy did not come. She asked me first thing the next morning, " Does the tooth fairy work on Mondays?":)

15. traveler

traveler Comrade

Nov 5, 2007

I have one student who whenever he reads to me he gets to the period and says "pyramid". As in, "The cat sat pyramid" It is so cute that I don't want to correct him pyramid :)

16. MissR

MissR Comrade

Nov 6, 2007

Last year one of our first graders came up to his teacher and said "So-and-so said the 'k' word." My teammate didn't know what to do... running all k-words through her head... Finally she said to him quietly "I don't know what word you are talking about" and he replied in a whisper "Crap." Ha!

17. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Nov 6, 2007

Last year in my kinder class there had been an incident during recess where a student had apparently pretended to pass out and had sent the administration running out to their aid. Well little did I know, it was one of my students! As I was giving them the "we don't play tricks like that" speech, one of my boys yelled out "But Miss C...he got kicked in the PIRATES!!!" Omg!! I'm sorry but I couldn't help but laugh out loud!:lol::lol::lol:

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2007

MissTexas, where in TX are you at?

19. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Nov 7, 2007

We were counting the syllables in our names. The students were supposed to count the syllables in their name and go to desginated places in the classroom. I was standing in the three syllable group. I asked the students what my first name was. They said Mrs. and I said try again. Then a student said Miss because you're not married. I said that is my title not my first name. They were really shocked that I had a first name.

20. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Nov 8, 2007

We were discussing fall, and I was pointing out accents that I had hung around the room. I had volunteers tell what they knew about each one... we had an apple, some acorns, leaves, pumpkin, and a gourd. When I pointed to the gourd, none of the children raised their hands. I gave them some think time, and watched as they studied the picture of the yellow and green striped gourd. Right as I was going to tell them what it was, one of my boys raised his hand excitedly, with a big grin on his face. I was thrilled! :) So, I called on him. He shot out of his chair and announced loudly- "I know what it is!!! I do! It's a banana watermelon!"

I had to smile.

Also, one of the other 1st grade teachers in my school had posed this question to her 1st graders- "Why can't a giraffe bake bread?".

The most obvious answer, is of course- "Because they are animals, and animals don't bake." Well, she didn't get that answer.

Instead, she got-
    "Because their neck is too long and it will get burned in the oven."

"Because they don't have arms, and can't put the bread into the oven."

"Because they don't have money and you need money to buy stuff at Shop Rite."

And my favorite...

"Because their mommy and daddy do it for them!!!"

:)

21. asiltropwen

asiltropwen Rookie

Nov 8, 2007

we just went on a field trip to an orchard. The groups were split up and when the woman came over to our group she said " my name is..... and I am your guide today" a little boy in my class said "Don't you mean girl?"

22. nikkiskillz

nikkiskillz Rookie

Nov 8, 2007

Soo funny.. I asked who the president of the United States was and one boy was thinking sooo hard about it like it was on the tip of his tongue so I said I'll give him a minute and come back to him. About 30 seconds later he yells out "I know it now... George Clooney!!" I couldn't help but chuckle!

23. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Nov 9, 2007

OMG! I had a colleague's child last year and his second grade teacher shared this story at lunch today:
    Apparently his mom wasn't feeling well today, so being the sweet kid he is he wrote this on the board: "My mom isn't feeling good, so don't give her a hard on." He obviously mean "hard time" but how funny is that?!?

24. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Nov 9, 2007

Last school year we had began talking about nouns and so when they kids came in from recess I had somebody ask what we were going to do next and I said English and I had a little boy say "Oh, no I hate the way they talk"
    Then another time we were having a class discussion about strangers and I ask what we should do if a stranger tries to make us go with them and K.... raises his hand and I call on him and he yells out "kick them in the balls":wub:

25. Murphy

Murphy Rookie

Nov 9, 2007

equally disturbing

I teach in an inner city school and the kids always know way too much. One day during reading centers, one of my kids came to me and said (very distressed) X is calling me gay! I looked at him with shock and disbelief (that a first grader would be calling another "gay.") He interpreted my look as meaning I didn't understand what gay meant. So he said, "Ms. M, gay means that I do this to other boys" and proceeded to give me a full reenactment of what "being gay" looks like!!! I told him to NEVER do anything like that in front of me or in public again!!!
    I had a child last year

26. MissRacheal

MissRacheal New Member

Nov 24, 2007

Last week we were setting up the cafeteria for our Thanksgiving Feast and I asked one of the kids if his mom had remembered to make a desert. He looked at me and said "Oh, darn. I left it at home-I'll just have to bring it tomorrow."

27. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 27, 2007

We are studying matter, solids, liquids and gases. I was giving the kids examples of gas and a little boy raised his hand and said "Farts are gas!!" Everyone started cracking up!

28. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Nov 28, 2007

We were walking back from an all school assembly and the Kindergarten class was behind us. The leader was a boy who was blowing his nose. Apparently the class thought he was going too slow and they were yelling at him "go faster!" He turned around and said "My nose is blowing! Don't give me a rush!"

The first graders who heard him laughed all the way back to the classroom. :lol:

29. teach12

teach12 Companion

Nov 30, 2007

I was out for 2 days because my husband had his tonsils out. When I got back to school, my sub had had the students make him get well cards. One of the cards said "I hope you get your tonsils back soon so you can talk." It was just the cutest thing!

30. terptoteacher

Nov 30, 2007

At our last staff meeting a fifth grade teacher shared a story about a conversation that she had with a first grader. The little boy was frantically holding himself, looking for a bathroom. The teacher pointed to the general direction of our adult only bathrooms. The little boy said, "Oh, no. I can't use those. Those are for...humans."

31. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 30, 2007

We are studying matter too! I was just waiting to hear this comment but no one ever said it.

It did rain today, it was pouring, the kids were soooo excited because we never see rain. One of my students told another teacher, "Mrs. C!!! Rain is a LIQUID!!"

Yay they learned something! :2up:

32. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Dec 5, 2007

I have had several of my kids say "so and so called me gay!" I simply ask if they know what that means and I have never had a response like that! no one(so far) knows what it means so I tell them it means someone is happy. but, after hearing this...i may not need to ask that but just say "oh he is just saying your happy":)

I did have one boy who came up to me and said..."Ms. X...c just did something that gay people do." i said "What was that W"(looking at him kind of confused.. he goes on to tell me that his cousin is gay and that the boy said "kiss my bootie". :lol:

33. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Dec 5, 2007

We have one little boy at our school that was getting tested for a spot in reading recovery. The teacher asked him to write all the words he knew, which were certainly not many. The teacher prompted him do you know any name of your family members... etc. When she asked him if he knew any food words he said "I think I can do spaghetti!" He proceeded to draw a bunch of squiggly lines and a bowl. The teacher was doing her best not to giggle, but then he pulled out the kicker. "Oh, I forgot to write fork!" and he drew a fork next to it. :)

34. terptoteacher

Dec 5, 2007

I got a little not and picture yesterday. It said, "I love you sweete."

35. athena_wannabe

athena_wannabe Rookie

Dec 5, 2007

This thread has had me giggling for a while .... guess I should add my own story ....

This year around Halloween two of my students were spending some free time coloring a picture of a haunted house together. They always like showing me their work, and once they were done ran up to me and said,

"Look! Look at our Whore House! Look how good a job we did on it!"

I was stunned for a second and then said something about how they did a fabulous job, and that I thought they might mean "Horror House". Both of them looked at me like I was a fool and said "Yah, thats what we said ... our Whore House". So I left it. It was totally innocent, anyways. And it was even more funny to watch my principal (who had just walked in) try to keep her laughter in check when they ran up to her and told her the same thing.

I love Grade 1!

36. busybee

busybee Rookie

Dec 12, 2007

class reward

My students earned all 10 marbles in the jar and I was polling them to see what they would like for their reward. Students were saying things like 'ice cream party' 'popcorn party'. Then, one boy raised his hand and said, "How about a stuffing party?"