The Teacher Look

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gutterballjen, Oct 4, 2010.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 4, 2010

One of the things that I've been working on this year is my teacher look. The other day, I did something that amazed me. I stopped a student mid-sentence from across the room. :woot: It kind of made my week.

Now, I want to make it even better. I realize that it takes plenty of practice, but what are some ways you improve your "Look?"

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010

We actually had a PD on The Look! It was hysterical. We were told to always relax your jaw and put your tongue at the roof of your mouth so it doesn't look like you're gritting your teeth in anger frustration. Then you just look right through them like you're completely bored and disengaged with their behavior. No emotions! We had to practice with a partner and I kept giggling, but I really knew how to bust it out in the classroom. It's different with real kids.

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 4, 2010

I mastered the look since I was about 11 years old. I don't need any improvement; I can scare adults with my look and actually have to hold back and control it sometimes.
    It's so funny that teachers have to work on this, but we're all from a different world/environments.

5. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 5, 2010

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 5, 2010

7. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Oct 5, 2010

Ha-- as I read this I'm sitting in a room alone making faces.

Don't forget that duration has a role, too. Maybe when you're about to say something to a student who is misbehaving, you could freeze before speaking and just try the look that naturally comes with asking for a behavior change.

You could experiment on misbehaving children in grocery stores-- if they stop doing what they're doing, they recognize it as the universal teacher look!

I accidentally gave my teacher look to a colleague/friend when she was having a loud conversation near my classroom-- she confirmed its effectiveness!

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 5, 2010

LOL - I don't even know what the look is! I guess I use it because my students/children tell me I do, but I couldn't describe it to anyone by any means. I would never be able to do it on command. I guess I just wear my emotions on my face well and it shows when I get irritated ;)

9. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Oct 5, 2010

I am laughing so hard right now!

I don't want to know how I look, but I do something that can stop them in their tracks. And I would not be able to do that workshop!!!

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 5, 2010

Ditto! Kids the building who don't even know me stop dead in their tracks when I give them the "look". I even use it in the store!
    I wasn't 11 when I perfected mine; I was 17.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 5, 2010

I seem to have the scariest teacher look ever. I accidentally used it on my boss recently (we were joking around a bit, and I shot him "the look"). He said "YIKES....that was scary!". :lol: I've also caused college students to stop in their tracks when they were being idiots at wal-mart. Now, if only my kids weren't immune to my look.....

12. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Oct 5, 2010

The best advice that I ever had was from a parent, who said she looked at her child like he had two heads when he was acting up.
    I've been using that idea ever since...kind of a:huh:look.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2010

Mine is pretty effective. I usually don't have to tell my kids to do anything-they get it when I give them the look. I got complimented on it in college-which was good because I was always told I was too quiet.