The Teacher I Don't Want My Kids to Have

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Mamacita, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 29, 2012

I would rather my child have a teacher that made a simple grammatical mistake than have a teacher who refuses to accept the fact that it is his/her job to educate all children. Just saying...

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 29, 2012

It's entirely possible to point out mistakes judiciously rather than judgmentally.

3. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Sep 29, 2012

I just read a NY Times debate titled "Is Our Children Learning Enough Grammar to Get Hired?" from August 13, 2012 (I cannot post a link, but that should be enough information for anyone who might be interested).

I think that, whether we like it or not, people will be judged for their obvious grammar mistakes. I know that those mistakes may not be obvious to the offender, but that then begs the question, "should they be?"

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 29, 2012

I actually do this sort of thing quiet often. That being siad (assuming it was was real), this would be pretty bush league for an elementery schoolteacher.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 29, 2012

This just reminds me of what I've seen once. I was student teaching, at that time just implementing a lot of activities, not planning them myself. It was a newcomer ELd class, very low English skills. The warm up consisted of a sentence or two on the board, with lots of mistakes in them, students copied them down, corrected them, and we went over it. I guess one time the P came in, and told the regular teacher that she shouldn't do that, the students should not be copying down incorrect words. I was only there for 1 class/day, so I didn't hear the actual conversation, but the teacher said the P was referring to some kind of research.
    I haven't really thought about it since, then I just followed the directions, but is this really as bad a practice as she said?

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

That might not be the best practice for new ELS students with very low English usage. Better to let them learn the correct words first, I would think. For English-speaking students, I think the practice is perfectly acceptable; finding mistakes is one way we teach students to apply the knowledge they have gained.

Every unit in our math textbook has at least one problem containing an error in mathematical reasoning or operation and asks the students to figure out what is wrong with the problem.

This is a good way to get kids involved in the class as well. Sometimes I will work a problem on the board incorrectly to see if the students catch my mistake. Those that see it are always eager to point out a mistake made by the teacher. ;)

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2012

Linguist, much of my Rank I (that beyond a master's degree here) was in reading. We were given conflicting information. Surprise! But at least a couple of sources indicated that it was not best practice and that other similar activities should be used instead.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2012

But standardized tests often ask them to find the mistakes.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2012

Yep...more conflicting information!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

The errors make me cringe.
    Spreading it all over social media just seems mean.

11. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 30, 2012

So I'm confused: is your goal to help a teacher see the error of her ways and get better educated about something or to belittle someone?

I'm just wondering because if you are trying to make her look bad, it backfired. Even as a self-proclaimed grammar police, your behavior has overshadowed the misplaced apostrophes.

In the teacher's defense, I minored in English in college and NEVER had a grammar class (and possibly never a grammar lesson). All my classes were centered around literature and writing about literature. The only "lessons" anyone got on grammar were the random marks teachers would make about grammatical errors on papers. I have a lot of friends that are wonderful teachers that have trouble with grammar/punctuation/spelling, but I would be happy for any of them to be my daughter's teacher because they would NEVER berate a coworker- on facebook, twitter, or anywhere for a grammar mistake. They have character, and that trumps knowledge. Every time. :2cents:

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2012

:lol: that was intentional, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.