The teacher always lets us...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ross, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

JadeCrane posted this from the "Segregated Class" thread:

"Whenever I do something and get a rash of "teacher always lets us" I ask them to write down their complaints and give them to the teacher when he or she returns."

I started a new thread so as not to hijack the other one.

There are times when the students take exception to my decision. I do not always have the some response. It varies depending on the students and the circumstances.

If the students are behaving poorly, I inform them they were free to stay after school and lodge a protest with the principal. I would gladly stay and go with them and we could both explain our positions. I never get any takers.

Sometimes I use the Al Haig approach (for those of you that remember), that I am in charge here today and it is my decision.

There are also times that I will query enough students to be satisfied that the teacher does indeed let them do a particular thing and so will go with that.

I also like JadeCrane's response.

I hear this a lot as I am sure you all do. How do you answer the students when confronted with the chorus of cries?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2009

I love the Al Haig comment!!!!!

WE do all our subbing internally, and the rules in my Catholic high school are fairly well known.

But I have offered the following suggestion: "My boss's name is __(insert the name of the principal)___ If you have any complaints, you can find him in the general office. May I write you a pass???"

No one has ever said yes.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 22, 2009

It depends on the issue - and the class. But, usually when I hear, "The teacher always lets us,"
    I just say, "Well, I am here today and this is the way we're going to do it."

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

I always use that line... mostly for the younger kids..."Mrs K use always uses lines..." Me: "well today i'm using circles."

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 22, 2009

Those are all great ideas!

I will let the kids know that I am their teacher today, and this is how we are going to run things. If they do not like how the class's routine is, they can just wait until their teacher comes back the next day.

7. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

Love this:
    AND this:
    THe Al Haig response, well, I like it, it prints well, but it sounds very "me boss. you not." and I don't often go that route... I can't pull it off convincingly.

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

Actually the Al Haig response is my own private joke, so I can smile while saying it. :)

It allows me a few seconds of humor when standing in front of the students who may be attempting to move the class in a direction I do not want to go.

I even tell the class I am taking the Al Haig approach, but of course no one understands the reference. I will tell the students the significance of Secretary of State Al Haig's statement with respect to President Reagan's assassination attempt.

Another chance for a lesson.

9. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

True, true... You are right of course! :thumb:

10. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jan 26, 2009

I usually say, "well I am here today and I have decided this is what we're doing. I'm the teacher today and we're going to do what I want." Might sound bossy, but it is effective.

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 27, 2009

I said that phrase today AFWifeinUtah and it worked!

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2009

Another one I use when they say, "We always get to do X", I say "obviously not, because we're not doing it today."

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 28, 2009

This happened yesterday with the 3rd graders...

I saw this boy sharpen his pencil and 3 other students told me that their teacher does not let them do that. I told the boy to please grab one of the pencils that the teacher already sharpened and go back to his seat. He said that his teacher lets him do that, and the rest of the class shouted NO!

They also told me that there's no eating in the classroom.

They were so great!:)