The Tale of Desperaux

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BethMI, Jun 29, 2008.

1. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

Took my son to see Wall-E yesterday and there was a preview for The Tale of Desperaux (sp?!), apparently based on the book (which I haven't heard of). It comes out around Christmas. Has anyone read it? Would it make a good read aloud for 2nd grade? I love to read them books before they come out in movie form. Thanks!

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 29, 2008

It is my FAVORITE children's book! I heard that it was being made into a movie and I am very excited about it, It would be very appropriate as a read aloud for the class :2up:

4. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

I LOVE Love Love The Tale of Despereaux! It is a truelt heart warming story. I read it every year at the beginning of the year, and my students boys and girls alike love it. I can't wait until it comes out!!

:) Ems

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks!! I will be going to buy it shortly then. :)

6. supertaz93

supertaz93 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

My daughter's first grade teacher read this book aloud. My daughter loved it! She also won the book on the last day of school. My daughter is working on reading it right now. It has over 250 pages. I'm not sure what the reading level is but I think it would be a good choice.

7. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 29, 2008

I read this to my 4th graders as a read aloud a couple years ago and LOVED it! I didn't realize it was being turned into a movie. Maybe I'll start the year off by reading that to my 5th graders.

8. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

You all have got me interested! I've heard of it, but really do not know what it is about? What is it about? Is there a lesson or theme to it? Thanks. :)

9. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

from Amazon.com:
    A charming story of unlikely heroes whose destinies entwine to bring about a joyful resolution. Foremost is Despereaux, a diminutive mouse who, as depicted in Ering's pencil drawings, is one of the most endearing of his ilk ever to appear in children's books. His mother, who is French, declares him to be "such the disappointment" at his birth and the rest of his family seems to agree that he is very odd: his ears are too big and his eyes open far too soon and they all expect him to die quickly. Of course, he doesn't. Then there is the human Princess Pea, with whom Despereaux falls deeply (one might say desperately) in love. She appreciates him despite her father's prejudice against rodents. Next is Roscuro, a rat with an uncharacteristic love of light and soup. Both these predilections get him into trouble. And finally, there is Miggery Sow, a peasant girl so dim that she believes she can become a princess. With a masterful hand, DiCamillo weaves four story lines together in a witty, suspenseful narrative that begs to be read aloud.

My 5th graders LOVED this story! My 30 year old boyfriend actually read it and liked it (I had gone on and on about it, so he actually read it!) so much he bought it for his book collection! :) It's a great story!

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks! :) Now a question to really show my ignorance...how do you pronounce Despereaux? :eek:

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

des-per-oh

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I read this aloud to my own kids and it was a hit!
    Kim

13. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks, Daisy!! :)

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

You are welcome. I'm going in Tuesday to tutor and to work on my bookshelves.

15. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

Thank you! I am really excited about this now! I plan to buy it and read it to my 4 1/2 year old-I need to read it to see what it's like before I read it to my class! Desperaux looks SO cute in the movie. Can't help falling for him.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2008

My fourth graders love it. There are a lot of characters and some of my students had a little trouble following the plot.

17. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jun 30, 2008

Excellent book! I have multiple copies in my classroom library.

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 30, 2008

19. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

Hoot Owl...merci!! :)

-afraid my French consists of: Do you speak French....thank you...thank you very much! :help: :)

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 30, 2008

I have a slight Southern accent and faked it w/my kids, they didn't know any difference. It's a delightful story, just be consistent w/the fake accent. :reading:

21. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 30, 2008

I love when they make books into movies and stick to the plot. It sometimes brings to life exactly what I envisioned. This can also be a good visualization activity to see who "saw" the book just like the movie. I think I'll begin my year with The kid who ran for president and then continue with Despereaux Does anyone have any activities for either? I haven't read any of them but I have them in my possession and will read them soon. Right now I'm reading Andrew Clements 2 mysteries or double mysteries. Der.....I can't even remember the title.

22. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 30, 2008

Just a suggestion... :) maybe you might want to save The Kid Who Ran for President for closer to the election. :) It is a great book, fun on both a child level and an adult level, and it lends itself so well to a study of the electorial process. I do it every year, but this year will be especially exciting...my kids love it!! :) If you do a search, you can find study guide materials. I, also, just subscribed to Ed. Helper, and they have a wealth of study guides/activities that you can customize to how you want to present them. Kid is one of them! :)

The $20 fee will quickly pay itself (for me) with the novel guides, alone!!

23. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

24. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 30, 2008

Okay--so I'll save "The Kid" and begin the year w/"Despereaux".

25. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Jul 9, 2008

This book was the 2004 Newberry pick. I read it to my second graders (complete with terrible English/French accents) and it was hit or miss for them. It's on about a a fifth grade reading level and some of my lower level kids just couldn't follow the story. Your upper level kids will absolutely love it though.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2008

I love to read with a French accent! Haha. I'll have fun.

27. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

:) PM me if you would like some study guide pages. I have some at school, and just joined Edhelper which has a multitude of pages on "The Kid". Next week when I go into school, I could get things that I have used in the past, if anyone would like me to. :)

I just picked up "Desperaux" today...can't wait to start it!

28. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

:)
    I wish I did!! I don't do accents very well...it scares me a bit! :unsure:

29. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

Me neither, they're muttled, or I forget what kind of accent/voice I gave a character-it's just bad.