The supply list has changed!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

I downloaded the supply list for my 2 younger kids at the start of the summer.

We just returned from Target, and I wanted a clean copy. Imagine my surprise to find that the list has changed!:eek:

Much of it is the same. But there are differences: for example, the old list had "2 boxes of blue or black erasable pens." So I picked up 3 4-packs of black. Now I'm reading "12 blue erasable pens."

My younger daughter's "5 marble covered notebooks" are now "4 black marble composition notebooks"-- I got her a variety of colors (and a second set as backup) so she would know which is which.

There are a bunch of other differences, none incredibly major, but still differences when I thought I was done.

Then again, maybe I didn't look today and am just working off the list that was posted most of the summer.

3. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 26, 2009

oops! back to target I suppose!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

We'll see.

It just seems to me that THIS is not the year to be wasteful, and changing details like the color of the notebook or the pen is exactly that.

5. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

i say close enough... don't worry about it. does it really matter the color of the pen or comp. book? I wouldn't rebuy things.

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 26, 2009

I never understood why colours were specified. I can see having "black or blue pens and one red pen". But down to the colour of the notebooks? I don't get it.

I'm happy if my students show up with something to write with and on! Normally half don't even come with that!

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 26, 2009

Gee Alice, I think I'm with you.... weren't you just shopping with the list you were given? Didn't you have no idea there was a different list on the computer? :whistle:

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2009

In elementary, sometimes it's very helpful for all the students' materials be the same color. It's much easier for me to say, "Get out your green science notebook" than having 20 kids ask "Which one is that?" and them having to look through them to find the right one.

That said, I would never make a big deal if a student's was a different color, especially if I had changed the list (which I wouldn't have done--I would assume more than one parent had planned ahead!)

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

:lol: That sounds like a tactic I'd use too.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

That's what I'm thinking...unless ALL the other kids have the black notebook, and my daughter is the only one with the green one.

I dont' care what's on the list, but it's the END of August. I don't know when the list was changed; I printed my copy in early July.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 26, 2009

Is the year indicated on either list? If anyone looked for our supply list in early July they would have gotten the 08-09 list from the website. I think the new one was posted in mid-July. If all the details are minor, I would just send what you bought.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

I so totally would not be going back to the store. I'm sure your daughter is not the only one who has items from the prior list. Maybe email the teacher?

In my district, we got an email about 2 weeks ago (after I sent supply lists with kids on the last day of school!), that the PTO is generously donating 'common grade level items' to each class. Nice, but it would have been better if they could have let us know a little sooner! I did get the message BEFORE I sent back to school postcards home so I put a little note there to check my website for items donated by the PTO. I'm just choosing to be thankful and the items that were donated are things like Kleenex, paper towels and baby wipes so families could either use those at home if already purchased or return them to the store for a refund.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 26, 2009

As a teacher, I would be THRILLED that my student showed up with a notebook and something to write with. :) Hopefully her teacher won't nitpick over cover color or pen ink color.

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

As a kid, having different color notebooks etc was a lot of fun. It seems really mean to take that away. Also, kids being excited about school supplies is a small step to being excited about school itself.

15. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2009

QUOTE=amakaye;1068830]In elementary, sometimes it's very helpful for all the students' materials be the same color. It's much easier for me to say, "Get out your green science notebook" than having 20 kids ask "Which one is that?" and them having to look through them to find the right one.

:yeahthat:

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

That makes total sense... that's why I bought a variety of colors. Now the list specifies "black marble composition books."

My entering-middle-school son, on the other hand, has to have "4 1 or 1 1/2 ich binders: 1 red, 1 blue, 1 green, 1 black."

Walmart didn't have any red (and of course he bought other colors when we DID the back to school shopping last month!!!) So it's off to Staples tomorrow.

17. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

I definitely understand about the teacher wanting certain items. I'm nitpicky about folders and notebooks only, which is why I purchase class sets for my students during the penny sale specials at Staples/Office Max/etc. In the elementary grades it's amazing how helpful it can be to have "the blue folder" for homework and the "red notebook" for math. Something so little can make a huge difference in transitions and orginization.

That having been said, if I posted a list and changed it midway through the year I would definitely not expect for parents to be able to read my mind with what I really wanted. If I needed certain specific different things for my kids, I would provide the items for them. I think you are absolutely 100% fine sending the items you bought. I definitely would not make another trip!

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 26, 2009

Things like this make me crazy.

I buy a class set of journals, and red, blue, green, purple, and yellow folders. I request blue erasable ink pens because I want the students' formal writing in blue ink, sometimes they need to erase while they're writing.

My supply list is different from the school's, they request alcohol and cotton balls for the computer lab tech and she doesn't even want them.

I really hate waste and I hate to inconvenience parents and their budgets even more.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

:spitwater: I know what you mean, but my first thought was that I wish alcohol for the teachers was on our supply list (and I'll take the computer lab tech's if she doesn't want it!)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2009

Funny, MrsC!

And here's to you on your birthday!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

The reality of it is that nothing will go to waste. With 2 teachers and 3 kids, we'll use everything. I can always use the black pens, the red marble covered notebookw can become my Extra Help sign-in book (for the next 10 years) and so on.

It's the inconvenience and the lack of consideration that makes me a little crazy.

22. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

I hear ya! I was out of work this summer (waiting on a position) and my unemployment $$ was budgeted. I spent the entire summer looking at the deals and gathering his items.

We go to meet the teacher and the list has doubled! He needed a 2 inch binder; the original list said 2 1 inch binders! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I haven't gotten everything on the list yet. I don't get paid until Monday (yes, I did get a job!:)

My biggest :mad:was FOUR 3 subject notebooks! I've taught 5th grade before....he better use all 4!!!!!!!!

I should have tapped together 3 of the 1 subject spirals from Wal-Mart---would have cost .30 each! :lol: