The substitute ("please call me!") resume

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by GatorGal, Dec 1, 2006.

1. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 1, 2006

I live in a very substitute competitive city, and I was told it is a good idea to go to the schools you want to sub at, and drop off a resume-type document listing what days you are available to work. As I have posted previously, I am still in college as an English major and I need any experience I can get before jumping into first-year teaching.

Does anyone have a sample template I could look at? I have no real experience (other than volunteering in two different high schools in the area), so i'm unsure what to put down, other than:
    Name
    Number
    Days Available
    Major?

I really want to jump into this after Christmas break, and start getting some real involvement in the field.

Any help would be appreciated!

3. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Dec 1, 2006

Hi Gator Gal,
    I am currently working as a sub for teaching experience. I put together a very basic resume at the beginning of the school year and brought it with me to the schools I was interested in subbing at. Once there, I asked to meet the sub coordinator if possible. I introduced myself and told her how much I wanted to work and that I was available and reliable. I only did this at the 2 schools I wanted to work at and I've been working steadily ever since. They've told me that they were impressed that I came in to introduce myself (apparently not many do!) and when they do call I always say yes and always show up (apparently not many do that either!).
    Good luck!!
    mssub

4. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 5, 2006

Thanks mssub
    I need to get going on creating a resume, though I don't have all that much to include :eek:
    I'm going to try to go to a couple schools next week before Christmas Break to introduce myself...I hope it works out!

5. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Dec 5, 2006

If you are in the Gainesville area try Levy County (Wiliston area). I student taught there and they really needed substitutes at all levels. They also can be a little more easy going than Alachua county. Good luck!
    If you are at UF take your resume to the Reitz Career Center they can really help you on formatting resumes and what are some necessary stuff to include. Include any practicums that you have done during school.
    If you are not at UF I apologize for the assumptions.

6. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 6, 2006

Yep, as the name indicates, I am a student at UF. (Go Gators...Good luck in the BCS national title game!:D )

I didn't even think about trying the Williston area. I will definitely go that route. I don't mind the short drive, so that won't be a problem. I don't really know anything about how the schools are out there though.

Also, thanks for the tip on going to the Reitz. I haven't the first clue about formatting resumes, so I had already planned on getting some help from them.

7. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Dec 7, 2006

GatorGal,
    I'm in Alachua...
    I've heard that all of the middle schools are always looking for subs (I only do elementary so far!) and the schools farther out in Alachua County like those in Alachua, Newberry and Hawthorne.
    mssub

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 19, 2006

I would put down your education and volunteer expereince and any classess you have taken that relate to education. sign up with at least 3 district to sub. You might also try kelly Educational Staffing. They are a branch of Kelly Services and they hire sub s to teach at private and charter schools. Go on the Inter net and Google Kelly Educational Staffing or contact your local kelly Services office. Good Luck! Terry G.

9. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 20, 2006

Thanks! I've been called a couple times to sub for middle school, but i hadn't even heard of Kelly Educational Staffing. I'll definitely look into it. :)

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 21, 2006

Gator Gal

There is a Kelly Educational Staffing office in Gainesville. Their phone number is 352-335-7800. Hope this helps. Terry G.

11. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Dec 21, 2006

:love: Thanks teresaglass!

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 23, 2006

I've had a school request I make business cards so I can give my card to the secretary, incase they need a last minute sub so they can call me.

Also teachers can request subs so on my report I put my contact information and my employee ID number (which is needed to request me)