The Strangest Parent Request During a Conference

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by GoldenPoppy, Nov 15, 2009.

1. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

We had Parent/Teacher conferences on Friday. I had 100% participation, which was wonderful, and they all went really well, though I did have a request that I have never had before.

R.'s parents are divorced and it has been an ugly, 3 year battle about custody and anything else they can drag up. I have had to tell both of the parents at different times that I do not need to hear, and do not want to hear, any of the details unless they relate directly to something that I can do to help R. in the classroom.

During his conference, R.'s dad comes in with a plastic grocery bag stuffed with clothes. It is obvious that the clothes are dirty. He puts the bag down on a chair, we have our conference, and he gets up to leave. The bag stays on the chair. I remind him, "You left your bag." He says no, he wants me to give it to R.'s mom when she comes later in the day since the custody agreement says that on the weeks he has the kids for 3 days he does not have to do their laundry. She has them 4 days this week, so it is her turn to do the laundry. :eek: I am sure I looked exactly like that smilie I was so surprised. I told him no, I was not going to be the laundry go-between and he would have to get it to her some other way.

I'm still shaking my head.

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

Incredible!! Hats off to you for refusing to participate in such foolishness!

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 15, 2009

Wow...Good for you!

That is really weird.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

Weird.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 15, 2009

You did the right thing!

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2009

I agree! Wow! That just blows me away!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

Good for you, Golden. Make sure you keep your administrators and guidance counselor informed of this kind of issue.

9. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Nov 15, 2009

haha oh man. i have conferences coming up with 3 students of divorced parents...both parents for each student is coming at a different time. this prepares me a bit...ugh!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 15, 2009

Wow. I thought having a parent say she thought maybe half way through the year we should switch up the kids between both K classes (ie, give them new teachers) so they can be with their friends at least some of the time was weird enough but I think this one trumps that one. Uggh...whatever.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 15, 2009

Wow! Good for you for refusing to take it.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2009

Poor R. :(

13. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Nov 15, 2009

That is so very strange. I do not know what I would had said to that. Kudos to you for saying no.

14. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Nov 15, 2009

What did he do after you said no?

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 15, 2009

Poor child.

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 15, 2009

Good for you. Don't you feel bad for that child? Ouch!

17. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 16, 2009

That is a new one.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2009

Can you imagine that poor kid's life?? His mom and dad can't even be civil when it comes to the poor kids' laundry--can you IMAGINE how unwanted HE feels????

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2009

I would have had no problem with the laundry switch but
    talk about petty BS. Its no wonder we have kids with all kinds
    of wackadoodle problems and issues.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 16, 2009

A parent that would not wash his/her child's clothing has me wanting to call dhr. wow!! I would not take the clothes either. I had a neighbor when I was a teen(used to babysit this girl who is now a preteen),but her parents got divorced and mom moved a few hrs away and took her, but when she would come home to visit dad he would let us see her and babysit her(she was like a member of our family we all loved her). She one day told my mom that her underwear was dirty mom asked how long she had worn it and it had been a few days. Mom bought her some new panties.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 16, 2009

Way to go. I have to admit, I would probably be so taken aback that I would say OK at first, before I had a chance to think about it.

I had a set of divorced parents who were whacked a few years ago. It angers me that they cannot sit in the same room and listen to me talk about their son together. No, instead they had to have separate conferences at least an hour apart so there was no chance they would run into each other, and they b!tch because they were each sure I was revealing secrets to the other. Whatever.

This was the same set of parents for whom I had to make a copy (as told to me by admin) of EVERY SINGLE PAPER the student wrote on that went home. Every little worksheet, sentences, everything. Talk about a pain in the butt! AND, I had to keep track of who got the originals and who got the copies, and switch every week. So one wouldn't feel superior to the other. Puke. How 'bout you spend less time thinking of how you can torture your ex and think about the kid who is caught in the middle, you whackadoodles?

22. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 16, 2009

That is crazy. I had parents who would blame the other parent frequently for no responses to behavioral issues with the child. I'd call based on the strip system, the parents would say "I didn't call because M was with his dad/mom." It was a broken record. I was so agitated. I said, "I called both of you every time." They looked guilty.

The mom I only ever met at conferences. The dad was always the first I'd call. He was in the class quiet often holding his son (first grade) like a baby. It was disturbing. So I'd watch, and often had to get after the group (literacy time) for the child not being on task and the parent letting the kids fool around. I had to start pulling the groups strips at this time.

But the dad was always talking down the mom. She arived to the conference first and started talking him down. Sometimes after meeting the parents you just understand. :dizzy::|