The search will continue

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteachkids, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I don't know if you remember but a few weeks ago I had tons of interviews popping up. I was still waiting to hear back on two of them and today I found out that I didn't get any of the positions I interviewed for. I don't know why. I have 4 years experience, half of the interviews were in the same district I taught in before, and I have great references. I've even been complimented on in most of my interviews and principals have told me they are impressed with me and I bring a lot to the table.

I ate my Ben & Jerry's ice cream after dinner and now I have a new action plan. I'm going to send apps to a few other districts. They are out of my driving time limit but what else can I do? It will stress me big time to drive an hour each way since I have two children but I have no other interviews lined up and school starts in 3 weeks for teachers. I'm also going to get out and personally drop off resumes to the schools I haven't heard from. I have to do that Mon though because we're leaving for vacation Thursday.

Please wish me luck!

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

Awww! Bummer. Good luck with your resume drop off monday!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

I always say, if you don't get a bite, ask for a substitute application. If nothing else, you will at least get some calls, and bring in some dough!

and if you get enough calls from one school, principal will start to notice you. Who knows, a long term job may open, or better yet, a new class may open around October.

ya never know...

5. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I hope you start having better luck!! I know it can be so frustrating. I've been searching and searching and still nothing yet--who knew it was going to be this hard:confused:

6. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I'm not entirely sure I can sub. I have to pay tull time daycare for my youngest son and before/after school for my oldest. After that and taxes I'm not left with much.

7. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

In what part of PA do you live?

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

Hmmmm I see...

Can you work out a deal with your sitter for drop in care only? Do you have friends or family that can watch him until you get a solid offer?

and with the your oldest, can you work at his school? That's how I got started! I took my daughter to Kindercare 2 days a week, and walked her to school the rest of the week. I caught the bus, and did my job hunting, rushing back by 3. The principal saw me, and asked me point blank if I wanted to be a paraprofessional.

that meant I could give up paying for child care, and we could leave the house and get in together at a decent hour!!

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

We don't have any family here and my friends work. I did interview at my son's school and didn't get the job but I'm hoping something else will come open in the next 3 weeks. A lot of teachers do get hired the week before school here, I just was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Subbing is my last resort.

10. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I know schools hire the last minute, but I know this is REALLY hard for someone who needs to know now. I would resubmit to schools you haven't heard from, go outside the district, and put in for subbing. Some pay is better than no pay and who knows, if you sub, you may work your way into a longterm sub position which soetimes leads to a permanent position.