The Runners Thread

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, May 6, 2012.

1. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 20, 2012

I am an F cup. I have all types of sports bras. The el-cheapo's, and the $80 iron lock-them-up ones...not one works for me. I wear a regular bra under my sports bra to tame them.

Why would they recommend you not to run, cat?

ETA: Also, I would still strongly suggest heading into a running store. Many of the shoes aren't too much more expensive than the DSW shoes and are suited for your feet exactly.

2. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2012

Oh, my doctor loves that I want to run, but suggests I spend more money on the bra than the shoes. That way, I can use the bra for other sports (I am going back to tae kwon do in the summer) but can ditch the shoes if running is something I decide isn't my taste.

3. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 21, 2012

Hmm, I don't know that I agree with her advice.

But anywho, I have never found an effective sports bra, regardless of price. I double up. I would still spring for shoes.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 21, 2012

I agree, too. Your joints/tendons need to be taken care of and having the wrong kind of shoe and really do a number to them.

I mean, yes, find a good bra... but also find the right kind of shoe for your feet.

Second week of my PT and my back hurts!!! She spent today's PT realigning my hips and back. It was really cool, though, to feel the changes. But now it feels like it went though a pretty bad beating. And my back's been popping like crazy, since. I have a 5k race this Sunday. I'm not supposed to be running, but I think for just 3 miles, it'll be fine, especially if I take it easy...

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 22, 2012

Peachy,
    I am the queen of not listening to my body... but please be careful running if your body is telling you not to!

I have been really set back workout-wise twice in the last 10 years, because I tell myself that just doing a little bit is ok.

Then I end up unable to do anything for months while I heal from injuries that shouldn't have been nearly so bad.

(Of course, my doctors all said that with my foot/ankle I shouldn't ever run at all, and I am running 3 days a week again, just wearing really good shoes, only running on dirt/grass, and taking it pretty easy, so I admit that I am terrible at giving it up!)

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 27, 2012

Well darn it, I had to go run the race. My knee complained for a bit after the race. My throat was also on fire since I'm sick.

However, I was pleasantly surprised when I crossed the finish line to see that I had shaved 3 minutes off my race time. Even though I'm sick, have had knee/back issues, and haven't really done any training for 3 weeks now, I still did a better job than last race. So, I was feeling pretty stoked about that. I even thought that I was going slower since I decided to take it super easy.

One thing I did this time that I didn't do in my last race was that I spent a good portion of the morning before the race just warming up. I walked for 1 mile (from car to start line), jogged for about 10 minutes, and stretched for another 10 minutes or so. I felt a lot more warmed up and ready to go, versus last time.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 27, 2012

Have you tried the bra by Enell. I find it to be insanely amazing!

8. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 28, 2012

I haven't, but I've dumped so much money into bras. I'd almost rather double them up than spend a ton on one. I work out 4-5 days a week and would need more than one.

Sounds counter-productive or something, I'm sure...

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 28, 2012

I understand. I used to do the multiple bra thing, too. :)

If you are ever interested, I recently bought two more from eBay for less than the price of one. They were rejected from Enell for snags (sealed in bags with reason from factory). Uh, they were perfect. No one would ever thought to complain about them.

10. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 28, 2012

Hmm, I'll have to look into that!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 30, 2012

Awesome, Heart!!! I think C25k is a great program to get into running. Once you complete that program, be sure to check out Bridge to 10k. http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

It's a similar program designed to get you running 10ks.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2012

So, while I have one more physical therapy session left, I can start to slowly run again! Yay! I plan to follow this program:
    http://i.imgur.com/Ty6jz.png

I also found this program and plan to incorporate some of this plan into my plan:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

My physical therapist had me run on the treadmill for around 12 minutes and during that time... no knee plain!!!! It was wonderful. Before, I would have intense pain. She also showed me how to run properly. Run only on ball of foot, keep legs parallel (no crossing), keep arms in a right angle and parallel (no crossing), shoulders back, chest out, etc. Much to remember.

I already found three races that I want to sign up for in June and July. :D

13. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 6, 2012

Guys, I'm running my practice 26 miles this weekend. Kinda freaking out. EEK!!!!!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2012

Wow.... 26 miles. I'm impressed. :) Good luck and take it easy.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

Good luck, Learner!!

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2012

I just registered for The Color Run....so excited!

17. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 6, 2012

I wanna do a Color Run!!!! That sounds like so much fun!

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2012

I keep hearing about that. I heard they throw colored cornstarch on you? There's one in Bakersfield, but that's WAY too hot for me!

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2012

Found this page that has some good exercises for your core.

Well, I started my first day of training today. I took it easy, though, since it's been a while and I don't want to injure myself. I started the bridge to 10k program (shared the link on this thread). But, because I'm taking it easy, I cut today's run in half and only did it for 20 minuets instead of the 40 minutes. I then spent around 30 minutes afterwards just doing stretches that my physical therapist showed me to do after every run.

I'm feeling really good right now. :)

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2012

Stretching: Definitley take the time to stretch after a run. Here is a site with a list of stretches to do. Many of them are on my list of stretches that my physical therapist gave me.

21. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 7, 2012

We just had a speaker come to our last training run. She gave us 5 exercises to do to strengthen our bodies for running.
    ~crunches
    ~push-ups
    ~plank
    ~side plank
    ~moving plank (plank while moving your butt up and down but never below your original plank position)

At the point we're at, she gave us these exercises to get us ready for the marathon on July 8th. The speaker said that if it were earlier in the game, she would also suggest squats and lunges to get our legs ready...

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2012

Those are pretty much what my physical therapist has me doing, except all on a stability ball.

23. artjen

artjen Rookie

Jun 9, 2012

Nice to see other teacher runners here! I am a runner also. I run at least one half-marathon a year plus a bunch of 5 and 10ks, for the past 5 or 6 years.

Color run sounds fun. :)

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2012

Hi Artjen! Welcome to hour board and to this thread.

So, question to you Artjen and anyone else who has been running for a while. What is the one thing you wish you knew back when you first started running? Could you give me (a newbie) some tips on running? :)

25. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 10, 2012

oh man ladies and gents... I didn't make it the whole 26 miles. It rained on us for the first 3 hours and I was so drenched and miserable, I quit fighting at 18 miles. My official marathon is on July 8th and I'm still going to do it. But today, I feel a bit broken.

Peachyness- I wish I knew the importance of SHOES!!!! I feel like everything else can come from less expensive places... (Old Navy has some great workout gear) but shoes... shoes save your life!

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2012

I totally agree on getting a good pair of shoes. I know when I made the switch from Target brand to Asics.... oh boy!!!

And I LOVE Old Navy for their athletic clothes. :)

27. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2012

I wish I'd known that it is better to listen to your body, take a short break, and heal from minor injuries, then to push through and end up really hurt.

I wish I'd known that high school coaches don't know everything, and that running 7 days a week is not balanced, healthy training.

I wish I'd known how great yoga is! I've always been a cardio junkie, but after a few after a few too many injuries started yoga last year. I have gained so much flexibility, and the new strength in my hips has finally got me able to run again- after about 8 years!

And on a more frivolous note- I wish I'd discovered running skorts years ago! I HATE shorts, and it is way too hot here for capris. I got my first skort last year and now it's practically all I wear for running!

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2012

I love Bermuda shorts for running. Shorts that are any shorter always ride up and my thighs rub together. And I get too hot with anything covering my knees. My tan line is pretty bad though-a sock tan line, one from tank tops, and my legs are very white above the knees! I pretty much run outside year-round here and sometimes switch to a treadmill to work on speed or if I need a change.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2012

Hmmm, I'll have to see if I can find any good running skorts. I saw a girl with one and kinda liked it. I typically like wearing tight booty shorts under a pair of running shorts (Old Navy brands :))

And great list, guys. I hope we can encourage newbies to take it easy and listen to their bodies. And even if you feel good, still, take it easy. You need to slowly train your body to run.

And yes, yoga is great for runners. In fact, I plan to start attending this one type of yoga class called bikram yoga (you do 26 yoga movements in a heated room). I heard it's great for runners.

30. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

31. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

So the method I'm training under frowns upon yoga and other stretching... I'm not sure how I feel about it but I haven't tested it either. Jeff Galloway is all about injury free running and says that he's seen more injuries with stretching and yoga... but I miss yoga!

I'm so paranoid I'm going to injure myself before the marathon!

32. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

I'm doing a 10k on the Fourth of July. My family is here visiting and wanted to do a 5k here. I decided to do the 10k to challenge myself more. I ran 6 miles in about 59 minutes yesterday-I'm hoping to be under 55 minutes at the race. The longest race I've done before this is a 5k.

I also saw a half marathon being advertised on August 11th. I think I might sign up for it. The good thing is that the starting place is probably only a mile or two from my house.

33. smalltowngal

Jul 1, 2012

Good luck on your run Far!! I need to look at doing more 5ks. I'm hoping to do a 10k in Feb.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

Good luck on your 10k Far!!! Let us know how it goes. :)

STG- are there a lot of races in your area? I've been signing up for as many 5ks as I could.

I'm thinking about doing a 5k Fourth of July.

I officially graduated from physical thereapy, but still have some knee issues and I'm sitting here on the floor right now with an icepack around me knee :( It'll just take some time.... But, at least it doesn't hurt too bad during my runs. For some reason, during my hike today it became angered.

I am, however, up to running 4.5 miles, which is really good for me since I have horrible stamina, without any pain. My breating has improved and my pacing is getting better despite the fact that I'm not working on speed/pace, just distance.

I'm starting my third week in the Bridge to 10k program.

I hope to do a half in October. Haven't signed up yet as I'm still waiting to see how my knee feels.

35. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

Peachy-did you do the 5k on the 4th?

It ended up taking me longer than I thought for the 10k. The route was VERY hilly, and I've only been running on flat roads. I had trouble pushing myself towards the end because of all the hills. It ended up taking me 1:00:39 for 6.2 miles.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2012

No, I decided not too. Work has been tough and exhausting and I decided that I really needed the extra sleep (the race started at 7, and was quite a drive to get there, AND the directions were really confusing...). So, I was going to make up for it and sign up for a 6 mile race this weekend and missed the registration deadline by 1 hour. Poo!

Congrats on the 10K. Even though it took you longer than you planned, you still finished it!!!! How many people can say that they did a 10K in an hour? :) Congrats to you.

37. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

Thanks! I definitely understand about not wanting to drive far to an early race. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and sign up for the half marathon in August. I'm kind of scared cause I was really tired during the 10K, but it will help me keep running!

38. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

I'm always paranoid about getting hurt also. I sprained my ankle one time while running and it messed me up for a few years. I stopped working out and gained a lot of weight. I won't run when it's dark because I can't see the ground well enough. My ankles are really small and I'll sprain one if I step wrong.

39. smalltowngal

Jul 5, 2012

Far~congrats on finishing the 10k! I know it'll probably take me longer than an hour to finish.

40. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

TWO DAYS AWAY FROM MY MARATHON!!!!