The Runners Thread

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, May 6, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

The Runner's Thread

So, I'm absolutely focused on running right now and thought it would be fun to start a thread where we shared our tips, training schedules, advice, food/diets, clothes, apps, music, to cheer each other on, share our race results, etc. All things to do with running.

I'll start. :)

I run every Mon, Wed, and Fri. Each week I slowly increase the distance. M is the same distance I did on W. Wed I increase M distance by a bit more. Friday is speed day. I do a slow warm up job, run at a challenging pace for one minute, and then do a four minute recovery jog. I do this for about for about 3 miles. I use my interval app on my iphone with keeps track of my time. After each run I do a session of BodyRock and every evening I do around 30 minutes of yoga.

Food wise: I eat a lot. I do a lot of beans, quinoa, veggies, fruit, and water.

Music: I use Pandora and usually listen to September station. I need that type of music to keep me going.

Race goal: I've only run in one race so far. It was a 5k. I realized that I need to do a 10-15 minute warm up job before starting off so that I can start off faster. My time was 34:05, pace 10:59. My next race is in a few weeks. It's also a 5k and my goal is to do the whole run under 30 minutes. :)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2012

I need to get back into running. I was doing such a great job and then just stopped. Not sure why, but with the Tough Mudder (which includes a 7 mile run) I really need to get back into it!

I also run every Mon, Wed, Fri. I start out with a brisk walk and then run at a steady pace until the last .25 of a mile then I'll speed up.

Food wise I eat Subway sandwiches. I know that's a copout, but I really don't have time to cook and this is a healthy alternative.

Music: I have a running playlist that has a variety of songs on there, anything from rock to some pop and country.

Goal: I ran a 5k back in Feb. My time was 34:30. I'd like to shave some time off. I want to do another 5k soon before that 7 mile run of the Tough Mudder.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 6, 2012

I just got back from a 6 mile run. I was running 25 miles a week while my husband was deployed, but I've gotten really lazy since he got back and I've gained a lot of weight back. Lately I've only been running 3 miles, 3-4 days a week. I'm planning on going back to my 6 day a week schedule, running at least 3 miles a day.

My eating has been awful lately. I'm going to start logging my calories again in MyFitnessPal.

I don't listen to any music when I run. I just think about a lot of things. It feels weird to me to have something in my ears when I'm running.

Races-the last race I did was the Warrior Dash (5K with 12 obstacles). I don't think I ever posted about my experience. It was raining the day I went, so it ended up being a lot muddier than usual. I fell off the first obstacle (a very high wall) and busted up my knees really badly. I somehow picked upself up and still finished. My time was 45:35. It was really hard to run because it was so muddy. I was really worried about twisting my ankles, which slowed me down a lot.

The last regular 5K I ran was Race for the Cure when I was in Idaho. My time was 24:30. I think I could beat it now because I've been trying to run a lot more for speed.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

There's a saying that my yoga teacher shared with us. It went something like: "A year from now, you will wish you had started today." I think about this quote all the time now. So, there's no time like now to get back into the swing of things. Never feel bad about stopping. All you can do is just start and feel good about that. :)

And wow, Far!! Your time for the 5k is great!!!! I can only wish to run as fast as you! :) Any tips?

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 6, 2012

Starting C25K tomorrow, although I probably should get better running shoes quickly. My acting friends and I are going to do a mini-run / walk together in July and then the Autism 5K in the fall. Unfortunately, we don't live close enough to each other to train every day.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

Definitley look into shoes that fit your feet and running style. I was running in the wrong kinds of shoes and did a number on my knees. I went to a local running shoe store where the guy watched me walk and then had me run on a treadmill with a camera. replayed the video for me and showed me how my feet land and how I overpronate. I got a pair of running shoes for me, and even picked up TWO different types of running inserts for my shoes (I have really high arches). I wear two at the same time and it's perfect for me.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 6, 2012

A tip I got before the race was to pick someone in front of you and try to pass them. Then pick another person, and so on. I think I get a lot of adrenaline during races, because at the time of that race it usually took me over 30 minutes to run 3 miles. I also think I'm just pretty lazy and don't push myself. When I ran the race I was pushing myself a lot harder than I usually do.

9. smalltowngal

May 6, 2012

cat~my husband had to go get fitted for a good running shoe. He would get awful pains in his feet after running. Once they put him in the right shoe, he doesn't feel any pain after his runs now.

Far~I wish I could run as fast as you! I'm more for just completion and upping my distance, not really for 'time' per say. I think my times are faster when I'm actually running with a crowd because I do the same thing as you, picking a person and trying to keep up or pass them. And I know about being lazy! I'll do really good for awhile and then just become a bum! I really need to get these last 10 lbs off though.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 6, 2012

I always just ran for distance-while my husband was deployed it was the first time I started running for speed. In the past though I found the easiest way to lose the last few pounds was to run faster. I find it much easier to run faster on the treadmill. Once I get faster on the treadmill, then I can usually push myself a little faster outside.

11. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 6, 2012

I'm training for a marathon!!!!!! Anyone heard of the Jeff Galloway program? I am LOVING IT!!!!!!! It's a run/walk/run method that is awesome!
    Here's my blog! http://mrsbdoesamarathon.blogspot.com
    I haven't blogged today... and today was 18 miles to make up for last week's mishaps.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2012

Okay, I'll stick to my usual brisk walks until I can get to this place. It's been recommended like crazy to me. I'm really excited about this plan!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 7, 2012

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 7, 2012

15. smalltowngal

May 7, 2012

Far~I haven't run in awhile. :eek: I'm going to try to work up to a faster pace when I'm comfortable with the distance. I was up to a 5.5 for most of the 3 miles before I took a long break :whistle:

Today I ran for 30 min, got about 2.6 miles out of it.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 7, 2012

As a new runner, I guess I fall victim to the idea that I need to run faster. I keep forgetting that right now, I need to focus on distance and endurance. Speed will come.

It's a strange concept. In order to improve your pace/speed, you need to start off slow and just run long distances.

So, my tip to me, to you STG, and to anyone else is to not stress so much about pace if you're just starting out or getting back into running. Focus more on distance running.

And congrats, STG, for running 2.6 miles today! Do you have a running plan in place? Having a plan seems to help me stay on track and not lose focus.

17. smalltowngal

May 7, 2012

Peachy~not a plan per say. I'm just going to run three days a week and try to increase my speed each week.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 7, 2012

I run three days a week too. My goal is once summer comes around, I'm going to add a fourth day where the focus is on a really long run.

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

When I was younger I would run 3 miles a day sometimes 5. Now I do the stair master 3.5 miles a day. Less pounding.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 8, 2012

For those of us who are starting, what are your opinions of running on inclines / declines? Should beginners start on a more flat terrain? I'm still in the brisk walking stage and tend to take the hill I'm on at a clip that definitely raises my pulse but wears me out. Should I go more for endurance than speed?

21. smalltowngal

May 8, 2012

cat~when I run on the treadmill, I don't raise the incline at all. Sometimes if the running gets to be too much, I'll lower my speed to a brisk walk and raise it up. I've heard that if you're on the treadmill you should raise the incline up to about a .5-1 to simulate real ground.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 8, 2012

That's a good question. I'm a newbie myself.

I guess it depends on how you feel. Are you ready to take on a bit of a challenge, or do you need more time to slowly work your way up to that. I don't do treadmills, I only run on roads. So, I'm used to running on slight to steep hills. When I first started to run, I took the most flattest route that I could. Now that I'm much stronger, I purposefully run two days a week on this one really hilly road. It's a great workout.

As a new runner, you want to first and foremost build your distance and endurance. If that route is so hilly that it makes it difficult for you to run, then I would pick an easier route.

24. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 8, 2012

Cat,

I would also recommend Fleet Feet on Polaris Pkwy. They fitted me just last week. I found them to be much more helpful than Front Runner. (Which is funny, Front Runner fitted me last year...)

Either way, get their recommendation and then look online. you can usually find the shoes a bit cheaper. My aunt recommends eatbay.com

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 8, 2012

Really? So many of my friends swore by Front Runner. I have a GC to Amazon, so I might look for shoes online once I get a recommendation.

26. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 8, 2012

Yea, I had a young guy.

But, I'm also having severe pains in my legs and felt like he was sympathetic, but not helpful. Gave me no why or how to fixes. He watched me walk and just started putting me in shoes.

Fleet Feet video taped me running, explained why the shoes I had were wrong, and gave me shoes that hopefully will fix the problem.

I don't recommend one over the other, I would just compare what they say.

All this being said, I'm taking the running form class this Saturday. I think that's a huge issue with me. Actually, I know it.

I can usually find the shoes they recommend ~$20 cheaper online.

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2012

Shoes will hopefully make the difference. I went for a basic brisk walk in my usual shoes and it HURT when I tried to pick up the pace. My right heel is still tingly five minutes after sitting down.

28. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 9, 2012

I supenate (I think that's what it's called). I worked at Kroger for years and ended up with stressed bones in both feet. To ease the pain, I taught myself to walk on the outside of my feet. Not intentionally, obviously.

For some reason, Front Runner put me in shoes with arch supports, which pushed my feet further onto the side. Fleet Feet took one look at my shoes and asked why I needed arch support when that wasn't my problem. (Good question!) So I'm now in a neutral Brooks.

I'm hoping this class on Saturday improves my form. I plant on my heels while running, and I need to shift forward toward my toes. Easier said than done!

I also don't know about Front Runners guarantee, but Fleet Feet told me if they don't work out, bring them back at any time. Might be a plus to buying the in-store.

29. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 9, 2012

Don't you think its wrong to waste their time with no intent to buy the shoes from them? They have to sell the shoes at a higher price Bc they are paying for the store front and employing someone to help you...

30. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 10, 2012

I started a 6 week to 5k running program about two weeks ago. I am very short (5 feet), and since my wedding I have gained quite a bit of weight! My husband and I are going on vacation next month and I'd like to be able to look a little less... lumpy. :)

Since it's only a 6 week program, the running is fairly high intensity for someone with stubby legs and historically low stamina! I run on a treadmill.... walking pace is 3 mph and running page is 5 mph. Yesterday I walked for 3 minutes, ran for 3 minutes, and repeated the process 4 times. Eventually I am supposed to be able to run a 5k in about 30 minutes.

On my off days, I do weightlifting. I am built like a truck so I like to lift heavy! I alternate days. Program I am following is:

Day A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5

Day B
    Squat 3x5
    Seated press 3x5
    Lateral pulldowns 5x3

So far I can squat 55 pounds, bench press 50, deadlift 50, seated press 45, and pulldown 65.

For food, we usually eat the following. Breakfast is bacon and eggs or oatmeal. Dinner usually includes some kind of meat, a vegetable, and often a smoothie for dessert (we freeze pineapple, then blend it with some yogurt, milk, and a little bit of sweetener, and you'd think you were eating pineapple sorbet!). Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner, yogurt, and fruit. For snack we'll have nuts, fruit, or cheese. I've never had much of an issue eating fairly healthy - I've never been one to be tempted to buy snacks or ice cream because I'm always too put off by the price. My downfall is free food... brownies in the teacher's lounge, open bars at weddings, my in-laws trying to take us out to eat at least once a week, etc. I've found that if I designate one day as a cheat day (currently Sunday), I am much better equipped to handle the rest of the week. So far I've lost just under 3 pounds!

31. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 10, 2012

I tend to agree, but I also like the idea of comparison shopping. What if I'm told different things at both places?

32. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 10, 2012

That is a little different then having zero intent on buying the shoes though if you are going to 2 diff stores, you may buy them at the 2nd store.
    The running stores ( at least around here) have machines for you to stand on that determines where you place your weight..have you run on a treadmill, etc. To see your running pattern....all of these things are why the shore are $105- there yet I could find the same ones on amazon tor $70- I'm usually a bargain shopper so I didn't love the idea of spending so much but I did and then when they were worn out I just ordered my next pair of the same model from amazon.

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 10, 2012

I'd probably buy from the store in case I need to swap out. My Amazon GC is going toward my strength training.

34. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 10, 2012

Personally, I really don't see anything wrong. In going to two stores, I got two different opinions. I chose the opinion I agreed with more, but the shoes were $$ and a good bit more than I was willing to pay. I shopped around and tried to get the best deal I could.

I did end up purchasing from the store, to have the option of returning them, but I am saving for a wedding and needing to replace my car...that money difference between the online store and storefront would have been a big factor. Mine just happened to be the same online and in store. With me, $ talks right now.

That is something that today's stores must fight, unfortunately.

35. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 12, 2012

Cat, I took the Good Form Running course offered at Front Runner today. Totally free and very informative on proper running form!

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 19, 2012

So, I had to stop running for a while due to a knee situation: chrondomalacia. In addition, I also started having ankle problems. So, right after my knee and ankle issue started, I very quickly got a referral from my doctor to start PT. I have done enough reading to know that this is something I want to get fixed as soon as possible.

However, when they were examining my knee, ankle, and body (spine, posture, hips, etc), they discovered that my spine is torque and that one hip is much higher than the other. I'm completely misaliged. They explained that this is probably causing my chrondomalaica and ankle probelms.

I also have falling arches.

So, I have a set of excersies I'm supposed to do at home and NO RUNNING! It;s been hard. Very hard. Work has been stressful and I have no way to release stress. Sooooo, I did something bad and went on a super light run on Friday. :( On the plus side, even though I went super slow, I still did better than my 5k race that I did last month. Hence, I've really come a long way since last month.

Anyways, I wanted to share that with you guys.

Also, I plan to start training for a 10k run and found this plan that I thought you guys might like. I love this plan as it gives me a rest period and will help my joints/tendons. This is supposed to help train for a 10k in an injury free manner.

http://i.imgur.com/Ty6jz.png

37. smalltowngal

May 19, 2012

Peach~sorry to hear about knee/ankle problems. :( Hopefully you can get back to running soon. Thanks for the link!

38. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 20, 2012

My goal is to get back into running this summer, but I am making myself start VERY small. I have tried in the past to get back into it and I end up getting sick and have trouble breathing when I stop my run. I would walk to warm up, then run, then walk to cool down. During my cool down walk is when I would feel sick and have trouble breathing. I think I was pushing myself too hard too fast.

I'm literally starting one lap at a time at the high school track. I'm hoping I can build my endurance and possibly pinpoint the pace or distance that is making me sick.

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2012

Wound up talking with my doctor friend about running. She took one look at me and insisted I buy cheaper shoes from DSW and splurge on a running bra. Is this true? Is there a recommended brand?

40. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

Cat- Recommended brand for shoes or bra? I'm pretty darn flat so I don't know much about that one! :p I just buy my running bras from Old Navy. :D

In regards to shoes, I make sure to buy the best one that fits my feet needs. I also have insoles to go in them. I don't mind splurging on nice pairs of shoes since you need to do all you can to protect your feet and knees. I actually went to a nice running shoe store and they checked out my feet and the way I walk and run to figure out what shoe I need.

41. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

It's okay that you're only doing one lap at a time. I always HIGHLY recommend taking it super slow and easy. Right now, you want to slowly, SLOWLY, work on distance/time. NEVER overdo it. Believe me.

Couch to 5k plan: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You want to follow a plan where you jog for a time period, then walk, then jog again, then walk. Each week, you slowly increase the time you jog. Your brain might THINK it's ready to push your body, but your joints/tendons aren't.

In fact, studies have shown that walking during your run actually helps you in the long run, in regards to distance and time. Which is one reason I was excited to share the bridge to 10k plan, which involves walking.