The RIF Contest

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tootgravytrain, Aug 7, 2012.

1. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

OK, I go into the books as the only teacher I personally know who has been RIFed three times. Bad luck I guess. Anyone out there been RIFed three times or more? I know a handful who have been RIFed twice.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2012

Nope. Never.:sorry:

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2012

In the neighboring town teachers get rifed every year up to 10 years. They have been rifing for at least 10 years. That district has A LOT of problems, but that is the main reason why I didn't apply to that district.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 7, 2012

I have received RIF notices before, but they're always rescinded before the school year ends, so I've always known where I'd be teaching before summer vacation.

6. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

Just once for me. I went out and found my current job while waiting to get called back. They did call in August was I was no longer interested.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

I had a friend in my previous district who had been RIF'd four years in a row. She taught only one year as a 3rd grade teacher and managed to get other random non-classroom positions after being RIF'd each time (permanent building sub, para, etc.) Last year she got hired as a classroom teacher in October when enrollment went up, but was yet again RIF'd at the end of the year. She can't look elsewhere because her husband has a steady job in the area.

8. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

Man, that's got me beat! Kind of makes sense though given the situation.

I got RIFed after my first year and should have learned my lesson then, but didn't.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

So what's the lesson?

10. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

Lesson? Never let an ink dry on a new resume and never quit looking. Took me two RIF's to learn that and when the 3rd came, only by the grace of God and a helluv a lotta work did I find my 4th job.

First one happened when I was young. But you know then you figure you have a lot of time making up for your mistakes, and it did work out (finding another job).

After the 3rd, I realized a lot of things that I might get into later if time permits, but basically that I either chose a profession that really doesn't want good teachers or it was just bad luck. Combo of both probably.

There will NOT be a 4th!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

The places I've worked will move mountains to keep good teachers.

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

I got RIF'ed after 12 years in the district because the lazy teacher inmy department had been there for 14 years. The kicker was the superintedent waited until I left my classroom one morning and left the letter on my desk because he was too much of a coward to speak to me. I told a board member how unprofessional it was to be told I didn't have a job in a letter and then he lied to the board and told the board that he spoke to me about it before he gave me the letter.