The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

I think it makes perfect sense--my DH offered to relocate so I could get a teaching job, but that would mean he'd be looking for a new job in a new area. He's a firefighter with 10 yrs in, he'd lose all his benefits, senority etc. Stay where your husband has connections, something will come up for you. If he's doing well in his job, there won't be as much stress on you.
    Good luck!!!

2. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

Thanks, tb71. I wish there was an easy solution!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

tb~the Killeen area is always hiring firefighters and teachers. You could try Ft. Worth too. Districts around that area are hiring, and I think the department is hiring.

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

It's so much harder to look when you have to consider your family. It's easy for people to say to you that you should relocate. Hang in there! Your job will come.

5. smalltowngal

Jul 31, 2009

I'm sorry lilmisses. Its tough to make decisions when you aren't even sure where you'll be living.

MAT~it would be alot easier if you could relocate...in a perfect world...but that job is out there for you right where you are!

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

STG--thanks. I know my DH would move if I wanted him too, but he'd lose so much by transferring. We have so many districts around, I know something will come up, it just may not be this year. Still trying to stay positive.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 31, 2009

IT'S FRIDAY! Time to enjoy your family and stay positive. I agree that something will happen in the VERY near future for you.:hugs:

8. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

SCTeach--Thanks!!

9. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

i have three interviews coming up this week--i know I should be happy/excited but none of them are for full time public school teaching jobs and none pay even close to a regular teaching job. I will of course try my best and hope to get one of them but I'm still sad that I can't even get an interview out of the many many positions i applied to.

10. smalltowngal

Jul 31, 2009

Wishing you luck rose!!!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

Rose-what kind of positions are they?

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

Well... I didn't want to jinx myself, so i didn't say anything, but I had an interview this afternoon. At my dream school. I got the news yesterday. It... did not go well. A lot of emphasis on only hiring the "best of the best", people with proven track records of high test scores, someone who could guarantee high test scores, the school has a reputation to uphold, test scores, test scores, test scores. And also... "What will AP Moste Evile say about you when I call her?" YIKES. My portfolio, however, was a hit. It was like they'd never seen one before. By the end of it, I felt extremely inadequate because none of my students ever scored perfect on the FCAT.

Also: saw about 4 other people in for interviews. Various states of odd dress. The plunging neckline; the tee-shirt; the tennis shoes. I felt extremely overdressed and out-of-place in a suit and heels. Which was odd, because, you know... interview. Dress for success and crap. Anyway, they'll make a decision by the middle of next week.

Sigh. Time for a margarita.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

I'm sorry that your interview didn't go well, chebrutta. But hopefully your portfolio and suit made you really stand out from the rest and they'll offer you the job!

14. smalltowngal

Jul 31, 2009

I echo Jessica!

15. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

thank you =) 2 of them dpont sound too bad, like i said lessmoney but way more than subbing so i'd gladly accept it! id really love a job with beneifts as I havent not had benefits ever in my entire life...and I could really use them! but at least making more than sub pay will enable me to save.

16. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

1. pre-k teacher at a daycare
    2. aide position at a charter school
    3. kinder teacher at Goddard School (this seems to be some kind of chain) anyone have experience with them?

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 1, 2009

Hope YOUR calls come in today for your school of choice. All the best... It seems like the jobs are starting to roll in for many. SOMETIMES you have to get creative to get a job... I know that we have all heard stories on this board where people have literally walked into an interview just by going to the school and hand delivering a brochure or resume. You never know what could happen at this time of year. Principals are getting itchy too. They don't like having to interview now and having to find a just right fit - They are ready to begin a new school year and WANT their staff in place. So, they are less picky right now. Good for those still looking. Sometimes you just need to be creative. Some of the posters on here could probably share a little of that creativity. I hope they do! :)

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2009

Rose-all of those sound like really good experiences that will build your resume! Good luck!

19. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

good luck Rose!

20. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Good luck Rose. The Goddard School is definitely a chain or whatever you call it. It may be a franchise--not sure but there are many of them. I know that around here they are highly thought of schools.

21. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

i think the goddard position seems to be the one i'd enjpy the most. it would be Kindergarten which is good because my cert is K-5 (i feel like most schools wouldnt count the pre-k because im not certified in it). it also seems to be the one that wll pay the most and it is not TOO far from home. from hat Ive been reading it seems like a lot of work, a LOT of documenting and stuff but that could be really good for my resume in terms of assessment and stuff. so i'm really hoping that that interview ends up good!

22. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

I have a friend who works at a Goddard School in SC. She is a certified early childhood teacher who had previous teaching experience and worked as a nanny (from an organization that only hires teachers).

23. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

I taught at a Goddard School here in GA. It is a franchise with each having its own owner. The center is only as good as its owner really. Some of the centers here are fabulous and the owners really put it out there as an academic school. The one I worked in...not at all! Pay is pretty decent, but if your center is NAEYC accredited and you have degrees in education then you get a bonus. (or at least we did)

24. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

I have finally thrown down the axe and pretty much know I won't get a job teaching this year. So, I will stay at my Director of Ed job and finish my M.Ed degree in December. I can elect to take an 8 week graduate level student teaching class as my last class, and I am going to do that. all I can hold out hope for now is maybe an LTS spot for later in the year.

25. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Here is something that bugs me. My former district had a large, well publicized job fair in March. Thing is, weeks before that, the reduction in force had been decided. But did they cancel the job fair? No...it's all, "Come on down and check us out!" Now if they knew they would be placing a lot of displaced people, why did they go ahead and have the job fair?

26. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

Today--no new postings, nothing new to apply to. I could apply to another district but I've applied to so many I feel like I'm :beatdeadhorse:
    I'm thinking this is it. I hate, hate, hate this!

27. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

No new postings here either. Have a HUGE headache. I just want to sleep to forget all about this. I am so fortunate in many things, such as family and health. But I feel like my LIFE is on hold till I get a FT teaching position. blah

28. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I feel the same way. I am a planner, I would almost prefer the P's telling me the position has been filled vs. just waiting around. If I knew for sure I was not getting anything then I would reside myself to the clinical teaching. But this not knowing is making me crazy!!

**UPDATE--ask and you shall receive--I just an email from a private school "we aren't hiring at this time".

29. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

I am such a planner too. If I knew I put "x" amount of time in as an aide or something, I would get a position at the end of such and such time, I could handle this alot better. I feel like I have no idea when my time will come. I have experience teaching...I taught for six years before being a SAHM. So now I feel the financial crunch of me not having a job. My DH took a pay cut so that I could get back into my career. We can't go on vacation, we aren't making a dent in paying off our debts, and we carry our own health insurance(which is a huge drain on the budget). Not to mention too that I MISS being in the classroom. I MISS teaching. I MISS being a part of a child's development. UGH!!!! I feel like I am missing a part of my identity not having my own classroom.

30. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

We had originally planned to take a mini vacation one weekend in August--told the kids all about it. I just can't bring myself to spend the money, knowing that I'm more than likely going to be student teaching with no pay for 12 wks.

31. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

there was a salary listed in the job description and i would gladly accept it if offered. its still a good amount below a public schools teaching job but its wayyyy more than subbing or an aide position!

32. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

nothing new here either =( there was ONE job for elem in the paper for a school i've applied to already and in big bold letters "PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT APPLY" so there goes that!

33. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I'm guessing they didn't give the previous applicants a chance!

34. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

annnnnd i just got a letter from the interview i went on a month ago for a position in the district I already worked in AND the grade level I taught there...and of course it was a rejection. i have the worst feeling in my atomach right now and feel like a complete idiot that I cant even get a job working for the people who already know me and who gave me wonderful feedback while i was there. if they wont give me a job who will?

35. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

That sucks!! I wish we all lived closer to each other--I'm thinking it's definitely time for something stronger than tums.

36. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

well im breaking out my wine ive been waiting on for either god or bad news. definetely got the really bad today...im just hoping one of the interviews i have set up this week pans out...even though they are way less than ideal at least they are something.

37. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Urg. I just walked in my resume to a job I applied for last week - and got an interview on the spot - someone didn't show up. Which was nice and it went ok and I'm really glad I threw on nicer clothes and makeup before I left, but I felt like saying... well, why didn't you call me BEFORE I randomly wandered into your corner of the world?

Sigh. Time for a teeny glass of wine, methinks.

38. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Rose... that sucks :hugs: I'm going to toast to everyone here tonight. I think we need a mantra...

39. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Pass me a glass....I was all set that I didn't get this job and then I got my hopes up again b/c I was told by my boss that they heard good things, and just got the email that I didn't get it. No more getting my hopes up ever again!!!! And of course I'm like positive my newly graduated friend is going to get a similar position at a different school.....

40. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

Hopefully tomorrow will be better for all of us...pass the wine!