The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

<b>Chebrutta:</b> What you're having to go through sounds insane! I don't know how many states are implementing applying online [I guess pretty much all of them since we're becoming a technology culture], but I for sure know it's not that hectic here. All I had to put in for my references were name, phone number, their position, how long I've known them, email, and then wait for them to click an accept button. Even if they didn't, we could still continue the application. Seems like they're focusing on the wrong aspect of the application a little too much. :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~

27 teacher aid positions have opened up in my hometown. I'm really anxious to see if I hear from any of them. They're in special education, but I feel I'm up to the job if they give it to me, and it's a great way for me to get experience and my foot in the door.

However, I'm skeptical about it all. Since everything else has turned to the dark side, what will happen with this? How many of these positions will be refilled by people who had these positions last year? I have a neighbor who had a library assistant job last year, and as far as I know, they didn't rehire her but decided on someone else to fill it. It breaks my heart for her along with my pride.

Here's to hoping for some crack of light!

2. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

If I can't find anything for the fall I'll either decide to sub for another year or sub while I'm looking for a different job. If I do decide to sub I'll take classes to add certifications (Birth-2 and math 7-9).

That's my main problem ereliz, if I knew that subbing this year would guarantee me a job for next year I would definitely do it, but going through this for years would be unbearable.

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

I can't imagine doing this year after year either--this is the most stressful job search I have experienced.

I just got a notice on my clinical teaching a couple of minutes ago, they said they will be sending our assignments to us the 3rd wk of August, nothing like waiting until the last minute. Our schools start around the 24th here. I'm thinking I will do my clinical teaching, sub as much as possible in the Spring and see how next summer goes. I have no experience, no subbing, nothing so I guess I really can't expect anyone to want to give a contract to someone like that.

Right now, I'm running a flooring business so as long as we have work, I'll have a job. I just think I would make a much better teacher if given a chance.

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

October is my deadline. My unemployment extension from my 2007-2008 school year runs out then. I have started the paperwork to get my name on the sub list again. I hate it but I have to work. Now granted I don't need to make much for us to make the bills since hubby is secure but I still have to make some money. I also don't want my skills to get stale.

5. ereliz33

ereliz33 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I am signed up to sub in a few districts. I subbed last year too. I am praying something comes up so I don't need to sub again, but I will if I have to.

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Since I have to do my 12 wks clinical, can I still sign up to sub? I would hate if they called and I had to turn it down, I would be afraid, they'd never call back. Anyone know how this works?

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

I'll sub if I have to. I've done it before. Unfortunately, unemployment & subbing doesn't pay the bills.

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Jessica, I'm pretty sure you're close to me, right? If I were you I would go for the math extension! I have my B-2 certification for almost 2 years and it hasn't done much for me yet. I had a friend who was certified in math and got hired before she even graduated. And there have been a lot of math postings around here too. You should only need one class for the B-2 extension though so it might be worth it just to get it but I'd definitely get the math one. I would if I wasn't completely afraid of middle school math lol.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 23, 2009

Hey you guys in NY...I have a "students w/disabilities certification". I already took a sp. ed test and have my Masters in Sp ed. Do you know what else I need to get another sp. ed certification? The state website is confusing me.

10. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

can you sub or have a part time job while on unemployment? how does that work?

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

Jlyn-I think I'm a couple of hours away from you. I'm probably going to try to do both before next year, if I decide to stay with teaching. I'm just worried about teaching middle schoolers again and the fact that districts would probably hire someone with a 7-12 math certification over me, but that's probably my best option right now. Then hopefully I could do that for a few years and move to elementary if I wanted to.

TeacherNY--what kind of special education certification to you want? Another age level? I think the students with disabilities is the only certification that they are giving out right now for special education, but with the four age levels (birth-2, 1-6, 5-9 and 7-12).

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Unemployment rules vary by state. In Fl, once you start making money you lose unemployment money. It won't cancel your benefits but it reduces your benefit dollar for dollar. Here's an example, I get $275/week from unemployment. If I were to get a part-time job making $100/week. I would lose $100 in unemployment benefits. Kind of a disincentive if you ask me. The upside is that it extends your claim time since you get a set dollar amount.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

I even called and double-checked this morning b/c I couldn't believe that a confidential reference had to be given to the applicant. In this technological world, what's to stop someone with Photoshop and a scanner from changing what's on it?

Anyway, I'm all done now - except for the Gallop Insight. I'm saving that for tomorrow morning after I've had my coffee :p

MAT - I'm confused. I thought once I started subbing (even though I didn't pick up any days), my unemployment was gone since I technically had a job. I also have a friend who completely lost her unemployment once she started subbing.

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

As a sub, you're on-call employee with no guarantee of work. When you claim your weeks that is how you should enter the information. I've been working odd jobs and that's how I've entered it. I'm still claiming my earnings but since I have no guarantee of continued work (It's all contract work.) I'm still unemployed.

Your not considered employed till you've got that continued guarantee of work. I spent quite a few hours on the phone with UE to figure this out.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

Ahhh. I will have to pass that along to my friend - as soon as they heard she was subbing, they cut her off.

16. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

chebrutta: I'm so glad you got everything worked out! It seemed so confusing to me. @_@

To you guys wondering about working a job and doing clinical experience, if it's student teaching, pretty much you're only going to have the weekends to work. Student teaching is not easy. It was a lot of hard work for me to just focus on student teaching. To add a job to it? Oh my! But some had to and seemed to make it work. And of course subbing during this time, I don't see how it can be done if you're in the classroom every day during the week.

If they're practicum experiences, such as only two days a week, then I don't see why you couldn't try to juggle another job. Again, it all depends on the type of person you are. If you can deal with all that work, then go for it. If you're like me and have trouble concentrating on one thing, then you might need to really think it over before you apply for a job.

17. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

Totally agree with you on that one. My husband thinks that my district (where I completed three different LTS positions) is pulling that same crap with me. I refuse to be a LTS again-- it's like I'm working for free. I need a teacher's pay and the benefits.

18. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

i should really look into this..i thought it just wouldnt be possible to get it with my part time work but i wonder if i'd be able to..i guess ill have to check into it with my state.

19. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

I'm having one of "those" days--a friend of mine's Mother passed away yesterday and I can't help thinking of when my own mother passed, a builder got snotty with me and I can't get snotty back, and I have no positive outlook for a teaching job. I'm avoiding the phones at the office. I really want a cookie or a brownie, but have been on phase 2 of the South Beach diet for a few weeks and I hate to screw that up. UGH!!!
    **Yesterday, I thought I had a great back up plan...clinical teaching for 12wks, possibly sub as much as possible in the spring and then maybe an aide position next year to get my foot in the door, until I looked to see how much an aide makes--jeez!
    Ok--I'm done whining, I know I should be happy with life and things can always be worse, in the same token they can get better--here on out POSITIVE thoughts!!!

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

And I read on a blog that when you declare your hours, you shouldn't name the employer, you should put "Self" under the company name. Otherwise the UI office will think you got full time work. If you put "self" it indicates you are a free agent and only getting sporadic one day assignments.:angel:

21. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

It has been a rough week for me too. Monday was the 5 year aniversary of when my mom last closed her eyes. Positions i thought i had a chance for were filled. Today i moved the rest of my stuff out of my old classroom, blah I am glad it is Friday and next week the P's will be in their offices and I will be out there begging!!

22. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

I know the positions have only been up for a few days, but I'm starting to loose my positive attitude about getting one of them. In this school system, the schools don't want you to 'bug' them. Pretty much it's a sit back and wait for someone to finally get down to your name on the list.

I know I can fill this position just fine, but how many others can do the same thing too? How many have been waiting longer than me to hear about a job? My mind is constantly filling itself with such questions as those.

I know I should take what I can get, but I really don't want to get subbing. The more I think about it, the more I don't see the point in busying myself with it. It doesn't pay, you don't get any benefits... What's the point? It's another way to get my foot in the door, but I'd rather get my foot in the door through an assistant position.

;___;

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

I don't think you would be bugging the Ps if you went into the school once to drop off your resume. Good luck!

24. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

There is a school district near me that had several positions available in different schools, but all the principals were gone for the week. Next monday I'm calling and seeing if those positons are still up for grabs. If they are, I'm going down to the schools and dropping off my resume, wearing some dress pants and a nice shirt.

25. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

There is one school I'm getting some help with from a teacher who works there, but I had help at another school and still didn't get a job. And for a while I was driving all over the place to hand out resumes, but I can only afford so much gas right now. x_x I've been sending out emails with my resume attached, but that's not as good as personally handing them in, is it? :/

26. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

:hugs:I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

And hoping we all get jobs soon!!!

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

So... I planned on following up Monday morning with the schools I applied to - dropping off resumes & cover letters, calling the schools I haven't applied to yet to get the grade level, etc...

I just remembered I have jury duty. Gah. Just my luck I'll get picked for a freaking trial that'll last forever.

28. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

Anyone thinking the P's are just going to take the last week of July off? I was thinking of hitting up some schools next week too.

29. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

The governor of Alabama just announced a 2% rise in unemployment, bringing it up to 11%. What does this all mean for the teachers here? Hiring freezes. That's just fantastic. *sarcasm*

30. smalltowngal

Jul 25, 2009

tarkle~I had a connection in a school as well, didn't get an interview. I'm thinkng they had an aide already prepped to take the position. I was only there for a few hours anyway and the aide was there all day working closely with teachers/staff.

tb~principals are normally back by now.

31. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

That's what I've seen happen a lot. They're required to post that a position is open, but that doesn't mean they can't already have someone in mind for the position.

I spoke with my aunt who retired as a school counselor. She told me to keep hanging in there. It took her two years of subbing and doing aid work before she got her teaching job. That was a long time ago [oh, she would hurt me if she thought I was trying to call her old, lolz!], and I don't know if the economy was this bad during that time.

Something will happen one day. I just keep telling myself that.

I'm going to try to catch up with some of my old teachers and see what can come from that. If nothing does, it will still be nice to catch up with them. :)

32. smalltowngal

Jul 25, 2009

tarkle~that's a good idea! If you can get an aide position or sub, then that could be a great foot in the door at districts. One reason why I took the aide position is because this is a district I live in and have tried to get into for the past 3 years. I subbed and tutored, but they hired aides so I'm lucky that I was offered a job as an aide because last year I did the same thing but wasn't offered even that.

33. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I went in yesterday morning to fill out paperwork for my maternity leave position. I should be happy and excited but I'm just not. I'm grateful that I've been given this opportunity but I really want a permanent position. And, I didn't get any information from the P about the job other than the teacher's phone number in order to get together with her to talk about the class. She couldn't tell me what the salary was other than it would be a long term sub pay but she didn't know the exact amount. This is a Catholic school and I know they tend to pay less than public schools so I'm a little worried that the pay is going to be something I will not be happy about - like I might be able to make more subbing in public districts. She couldn't tell me when my start day would be because she didn't know if I would be going to the in-service days before school started or if the regular teacher would be going. I just feel uneasy about the whole thing.

I still have hopes the district I interviewed with last week will call me; I left a message for the P on Friday so I hope he'll at least get back to me either way.

And, I found out last night my checking account is overdrawn $60 because I forgot about a $10 withdrawal. I don't know what I'm going to because my paycheck is not going to be enough to cover those fees plus pay the bills I need to pay. UGH. No groceries for me this week, lol.

Sorry for the big downer post. Hope everyone else is having a better Saturday night!

34. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.... back up-- what did I miss, stg? I thought you were teaching 6th grade SS? :confused:

35. smalltowngal

Jul 26, 2009

lilmisses~I took an aide position 5 minutes from the house. The teaching job was an hour away. With the possibility of deployment of dh, I thought it best for the family to take a job close to home.

36. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 26, 2009

A girl has to do what a girl has to do... Considering the time spent away from your family, and the fact that the 6th grade position was not going to pay well, you did what was best for your family. It is so hard to make those kinds of choices. But I think from your posts that you feel assured that the principal will give you a position as soon as one is available and you are free of your assistant duties for the year. It sounds very promising. And like I said in an earlier post - some lucky teacher just got your sixth grade job. So, it IS a win-win situation. CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN STG! :partyhat::partyhat:

37. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I just came back from a baby shower. Mind you, I'm in my thirties, single, with no children. This was a shower with husband and children in attendance.

I got asked a bunch of times "what do you do?" I hate that, by the way. Well I explain that I am a permanent district substitute for a local school district and I am a server in the evening.

The shower was at a HUGE home in one of the ONLY school districts growing rapidly in my state. Wouldn't ya guess it...Everyone asked "how come you can't get a job in THIS school district?" I WANTED TO SCREAM!!!!

I told them there are 2,000 applicants (there really is) per position and you have to basically know someone to get in.

Then I was told "gosh I thought education was the safest job to have right now."

I can't tell you how many times a week (or a day if I'm talking to a guest at my restaurant) I have to have this conversation.

Sorry for the vent.

38. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 26, 2009

:hugs: I saw this first hand last night with another teach looking for a job. Unfortunately, I think it was even worse. She had to sit and listen as we did a little planning. I know she felt miserable. I wish you all the best. Feel free to vent. Venting is good. But DO NOT give up. We need dedicated people like YOU out there. You deserve a chance and we are hoping that you get that big break soon!:unsure:

39. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

SCTeach!!!

Thank you so much for all your encouragement!!!!

Thanks for understanding!!!

40. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Gotcha. I was so confused at first! :p Good luck with everything!! :hugs: