The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

Yes, yes I do. I'll be serving them up on Friday night lol, when I head to Montrèal to fait la fête with some friends.

2. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I am sorry that many of you are going thru a rough time now and I hope that you all will find a job soon.

3. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

UGH! I just found out that this girl I know, who just graduated in May, has a teaching job. I worked with her last summer at the daycare I taught at and I have no doubts that she will be a great teacher but she just graduated - I have been looking for 2 years! She is 22 and I'm going to be 30 in a few months, why can't I get a job????

I'm holding out hope that I'll get the reading position I interviewed for last week but I won't know for awhile probably and they did interview other people so who knows. I haven't gotten any other calls since then either.

I'm so broke I've had to borrow money from my grandma and a friend and I'm still behind on things. I had to cancel my cable and pretty much go grocery shopping at my mom's house in order to eat. I just feel like such a failure because I can't support myself. And, I have looked and applied for several part-jobs and haven't heard from any of them, even after numerous calls.

I really don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get a position. I can sub but it won't pay my bills and if no one will hire me for a part-time job, how will I survive? I need wine and lots of it. Too bad I have to get up early tomorrow for work.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

Jlyn :hugs:

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 21, 2009

Jlyn, if it's any consolation my hubby and I had to live with his parents for a few months while he was looking for a teaching position. You are not a failure. Some school will recognize what amazing teachers we all are and will reap the rewards of our expertise in student learning.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2009

Jlyn-more part-time jobs will probably open up when kids go back to college in a month. I know that where I work part-time now (a grocery store) we had more college kids come back than ever before, because it is so hard right now to find part-time jobs related to their field or internships. So if you don't get a teaching position, hopefully part-time jobs will open up a little more, although I really hope that you get a teaching position.

7. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 22, 2009

More good news from GA..not!

My county has now furloughed the teachers for 2 days of pre-planning next week. They are still deciding if they will furlough all school staff or just teachers. One of my teacher friends on facebook is going on and on about how she must still go in, without pay, to get her room ready and how this stinks and she didn't sign up for this when she decided to be a teacher. Needless to say, I didn't keep my mouth in check and told her she ought to just be glad she had a job and get over herself. Not sure what came over me, but it really made me angry to know so many of you are sitting here not able to make ends meet and here she is complaining over losing 2 days pay.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

Jlyn, I had to move back in with my dad. Talk about feeling like a failure. But at least that was an option for me.

In other news - my dream job from last summer? IS OPEN THIS SUMMER!!! And then I called the school - and they were super excited that I was calling about the position and let's schedule an interview and let's look at your application and... you don't have one? - and found out that since my application with the district is over a year old, it's been kicked out of the system and I have to reapply and submit new references. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

She also mentioned they're interviewing 3 other people. On my way to the DO to see if I can sweet talk them into reactivating my application so I don't miss out.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

Also: Crap. It's hotter than heck outside. Nice skirt and blouse ok for going down there and begging?

10. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Chebrutta good luck!!!

Even if they won't reactivate your application, talk to the principal and see if they can still interview you even if the application has yet to go through. That shouldn't be a problem since they know/remember you from last year.

11. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Can someone please pass me a strong drink? I have an interview tomorrow but I am currently in another state visiting my dad, he came and picked me up on his way home which was great. But Monday I get a call to come in for an interview, meanwhile I have to move and be out of my place by noon on Friday, my dad had an emergency business trip so he isn't coming back till tonight, so that means we have to leave at the crack of dawn tomorrow for a 6 hour drive back to my place. Oh and to top this off me and my bf just broke up-meaning this happened yesterday. I really need to get it together for this interview in hopes of getting this job but with all this going on I don't know how I am going to pull this off.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

No good. The school secretary even called and requested they make an exception in my case since they're only 1.5 months out of date - nothing doing. Must resubmit application (over 40 questions on it), resubmit minimum 3 references on their form... and the secretary asked me to have it done BEFORE tomorrow morning so I'd have a better chance in the applicant pool. The only thing they're willing to do is transfer my transcripts from my previous application.

Most of my references are on vacation right now! The only good thing is my current supervisor is my boss at the restaurant, so I'm getting him a smoothie to bribe him to do it right now. The only other references I could line up last minute are two friends who are teachers w/ scanners. It's going to be a LONG night for Chebrutta.

13. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

CHEBRUTTA!!!!! GET IT DONE GIRL!!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

14. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Jul 22, 2009

Can I join the club?
    I just finished my credential, I'm in California, and I'm hopeless. There certainly aren't any jobs out there for a newbie like me! I thought I might be one of those lucky people who had one interview and was hired to work at the dream school. Well that school decided they loved me, but only enough to put me in a part-time job to possibly prepare me for a teaching job next year. Then I had an interview with a school affiliated with my dream school and that P also "loved" me, but then talked to the P at my dream school and found out I was being groomed by them for the next year. So then P #2 gets worried that I will work for her for one year and then switch to P #1's school. P #2 asks me to commit to more than one year at her school, I tell her I would no prob. She seems very enthusiastic when I leave and then calls me a couple days later and tells me that I'm the "perfect candidate" but that my future is with P #1's school. Needless to say I was totally deflated. I student taught the last semester of the school year but prior to that was substitute teaching. Now I just found out that all of the laid off teachers have priority for sub jobs which basically means I will not be getting calls. I've been on my own since I was 18, I have bills to pay, I don't know what I'm going to do. The part time work will help but it won't be enough.

The only upside is that I've had a chance to work this summer at my dream school and I love it even more than I thought I would. Hopefully a position will come up next school year and will have my name on it. That's the only bit of optimism I have left in me.

Sorry for the rant, hope it made sense! :dizzy:

15. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

Welcome to the "club"--hopefully we'll all be able to join the "I got a job club" soon!

16. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Went on an interview today for a preschool and found out they were interviewing b/c the old teacher got a job at my school. She was the intern last year at my school were I've subbed, plus 2 LTS, volunteered and begged for a job. I watched her parade around for 4 months in cheap flip flops, short skirts, and t shirts. Many of the teachers for her grade got let go (P seems to wipe out 3rd grade each year and start over). As much as I am disappointed I could imagine those seasoned teachers must be devastated.

So good news is I atleast had an interview at the preschool and a interview at the mall for bath body works. Too bad aftercare will cost half my paycheck!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 22, 2009

Welcome to our club. What is your poison? I prefer Cosmos but I've become less picky lately :lol:

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 22, 2009

Ahhhh, Montreal. I have actually been there! I went when I was in college with our choir . It was a lot of fun. We went to a bunch of clubs. I don't remember what I drank. All I remember is that I was 19 at the time and drinking was legal for us LOL

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2009

Maybe your dream school will have a big influx of kids moving to the area. In which case they will have to open a position in your credentialed area. Since they know you, they call you right away and you get offered the job on the spot. A girl CAN dream big you know? It can happen.:)

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2009

Well if the short skirted gal is not a good teacher, it looks like she will only have one year to prove herself before she is outsted. Since the P is notorious for letting people go, it would seem that you might be getting a call back. Try wearing cheap flip flops and t-shirts. You already know what he likes. (Just kidding - I wish you all the best. He just sounds like a MORON!) :unsure::unsure:

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I need to put on my mini-skirt and boots. I understand how your feel NEFLteacher. I put a lot of my energy into one school by doing multiple LTS, volunteering, etc. When it came to look, nothing but the cold sting of rejection. I decided to cut my ties with that school. The hassle just isn't worth it especially since it won't lead me anywhere

Greenbean, that sounds mighty smug of the one school. How can they say that to another school? For goodness sakes, they're "grooming" you. Grooming you for what a beauty pageant? It just sounds whack to me.

22. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Thanks guys. I feel a little better today but I'm still so stressed out. I know my time will come but really, could it get here sooner than later?

Moving in with my parents is an option BUT I have two cats they won't allow to come with me. I've had these cats for six years and I just can't even think of giving them up. They've been with me through a bad break-up and my first years of living alone. Its hard to think of myself living at home after being on my own for almost 10 years but if things get bad enough I'll have to do it. UGH!!

And, I just heard that a new store is opening nearby so I'm going next week to apply there.

I pray that we all get the jobs we want so desperately - it stinks to be so depressed because you can't do something you've always wanted to do.

23. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Amazing. A job opens up Thursday, I apply. Monday I am interviewed. Wednesday, a hiring freeze is enacted and the entire state is forced to take three furlough days (two of which are the first two days of pre-planning.

24. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Oh, oh! This is just what I needed! I have been so in the dumps lately, and not a whole lot of my friends understand [they're not teachers]. I'm getting to the point where I don't know what to do. I can only exert so much energy and money into trying to find a job. I have applied in five systems for teaching and assistant jobs. I have had people who know me put in good words for me, I've had three interviews, but still nothing has come up. In all honesty, I know there's substituting, but I don't want to do that. I spent so much money getting my degree that I don't feel like it's right for me to have to settle for substituting.

And there are also problems arising with my mother. I love her, there's no question of that. It's just...our ideas are different. We butt heads too much. We can only spend a week together before someone ends up snapping at the other, and I hate that. I hate having a feeling of I need to just hide out for a while and just keep my mouth shut on certain things.

Anyways, I know something will pop up one day. Just like the rest of y'all though, I hope it pops up sooner rather than later.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

I kept coming back and checking this when I was getting pissed at all of the questions I answered LAST YEAR. You're like, my own personal cheerleader :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I got as far as uploading references (seriously - I have to upload my own confidential references - on their form) and it won't let me go any further. Waiting for the others to trickle in.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

I'm kind of broke at the moment - I wondering if making moonshine is still illegal...

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2009

I've really been struggling lately with what I want to do if I don't find a job for next year. Do I want to sub, hope for long term jobs and try job searching next year or do I want to switch career paths? I hate the thought of all of the time I have spent trying to become a teacher, but I have a lot of things against me in getting a teaching job and I don't know if I can handle looking for a teaching job for years.

I've been second guessing my career choice so much lately. Every time that I hear of someone getting a job in another field I think "why didn't I pick something like that?" I remember my guidance counselor in high school wanting me to pick a career that would utilize my math skills (like engineering), but at that time I thought I wanted to teach and after I begun college I never really thought it through any more.

At this point I really would rather not go back to school unless I know that whatever I got my degree in would be a sure thing and I realize that nothing is, so I'd rather find something that I'd be qualified for now. My head just keeps spinning thinking of all of the different possibilities of what to do and I just don't know now what I should do.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 22, 2009

I don't know. That's why i said I've become less picky LOL I might have to resort to making my own booze :whistle:

29. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Well, I had an interview with about 2 hrs. notice on Monday. I thought it went very well. I really thought the P would want me. Then I found out that the school I was at last year had a new opening that I hope I have a good shot at.. so I thought to myself when the P. calls me I'll have to tell her I can't.
    Didn't have to. The P. called and someone else got the job. How come I am disappointed when I didn't really want that job? :( Rejection, rejection :(

30. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

My mom busted my butt a few days ago by saying I should have a plan B in the works in teaching doesn't work out. A plan B? She's nuts. I said there is always the return to go back to school and get a masters degree. But that would require money and my dad helped pay for part of my bachelor's degree and costed him an arm and a leg 5 years ago and I know he couldn't help pay for it.

31. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

Chebrutta,...
    You're uploading your references?

That application sounds crazy!!!

GET IN DONE GIRL!!!!

Call that secretary tom. and say " Well? I finished my app. let's get moving from here!!!!!!"

32. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

It is the most insane thing I have ever done. I'm still waiting on one reference to come in. I can't even look at the last three steps until those are uploaded.

Did anyone ever hear of an applicant having to upload their "Confidential Reference Forms"? It just sounds... backwards to me. I always had to have them sent in a sealed envelope to the district office.

33. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I was gonna say it kind of defeated the purpose. Confidential?

They make you answer 40 questions then upload your OWN confidential references?

It just doesn't seem right. It will all be worth it to get in there and strut your stuff during the interview!!

34. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

MAT- I agree. They had you at, "Hello" and they blew it. Trying to keep good teachers in LTS jobs is just wrong. They should hire people that have proven themselves effective instead of keeping the ONE GOOD SUB out there for when they need a strong sub. That is WRONG!:mad:

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

Jessica, one of the VERY FEW bright spots in the hiring area is in secondary math. Are you anywhere near being able to become certified in math???

36. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2009

Alice--I am close to being certified in Math 7-9 (I have taken and passed the Math CST and have over 30 credits in math, just need two classes--pre-adolescent development and middle school strategies), but last year I moved to another state and taught seventh and eighth grade math (based on the number of credits I have in math--I'm certified in childhood and literacy) and I had an awful experience and am now scared to try that age level again. Although, I may work on the certification requirements this coming year and sub for that age group, because I think that I could be much more successful with a middle school math job around here where I am more used to the culture of the area and have family support.

37. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

Pretty depressed right now. That last few days have been rough emotionally. Of course, this depression is not nearly as rough as the one that led me to resign from my first teaching job six years ago.

I really pinned my hopes on getting a position in my former district. I have connections there, good references, and I had good evaluations. Immediately after I decided to return to teaching, they instituted a reduction in force. No classroom teachers were let go, but some specials and aide positions were cut. Those specials teachers get first shot at any open positions.

I still have a few weeks before school begins, but sometimes I lose hope. I think, "Maybe I should stay in my current job(county government) and give up." But I think that's just depression talking.

I now know that teaching is what I have to do with the rest of my life. I worked far too hard on becoming a teacher to throw it away.

I've applied in a couple more districts, but haven't heard anything.

38. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I have heard that it is darkest before the dawn. If it gets any darker I won't be able to find the door. The jobs posted that I had hopes for are filled :(. It is getting closed to school starting and no job. I am sooo depressed too.

39. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

It's pretty dark here too. The highlight of my day has been the post by the Troll. ;)
    Job boards are very quiet, it looks like even the job seekers forum is pretty quiet. I have to buy clothes to wear to school, not knowing if I'm going to have a job or doing an internship--I hate spending the money, but I doubt I can wear jeans everyday. I've applied at every school I can think of within an hours drive. Even the inner city school that has their own ACP program--heck, if I had known about that I probably would have went there just so I could get a job--of course, I never thought I'd have such a hard time in the first place (I didn't find this forum until I had finished my ACP).
    :sigh:

40. ereliz33

ereliz33 Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

How long do you think you will wait until you start looking for something else? I just can't imagine doing this year after year... the waiting and searching and stressing. : (