The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2009

McKenna~I am sorry for your heartache and I hope things are better for you real soon.

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 18, 2009

HAAAAAA this is funny!! Got a rejection letter in the mail. It said, "thank you for interviewing for this position. Unfortunately we have found a candidate to better fit our needs". Oh, you mean a candidate certified for the position? A candidate that actually applied for this position? I should write to them and say, "thank you for interviewing me for the WRONG POSITION, I am going to look for a school to better fit MY NEEDS". Dummies!!!

3. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 18, 2009

I'm back in the club. I never seem to get a job I actually can get excited about. The only teaching job I had was middle school and that was not for me. ::sigh::

4. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

I feel like a wannabe to McKenna. I have so many people give me the pity look because I'm not teaching. Every phone call with family is "So you find anything?" As though I would that info from them. My mom calls almost everyday asking. Thank goodness for Caller ID.

I have seen one new posting since the end of June. I got an email stating that due to the large number of applicants they would be doing phone interviews. No details on time just that it would be sometime Mon-Weds. Can you tell how much I'm looking forward to that? With my luck, they'll call at 8am or when I'm working out. I do have other things to do besides sitting by a phone. How hard can it be to give at least a time range?

There are so few positions and so many people looking. One county is completely closed. The other is waiting for the budget before posting anything. School starts in a month but where are there jobs? At this time last year I was seeing 6-7 positions a week posted between two large school districts.

My garage has all my teaching stuff from my one year. I seriously have enough school supplies to stock a CVS. I keep getting them though since they're free with my rewards programs and ECB's. It helps to secure the faint hope that I cling to that I will get a teaching position this year and not be a "wannabe" again subbing.

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

well its july 18th and I still have yet to get an interview at any of the 60+ schools/positions i've applied to. i just dont get it!!!

6. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

THIS post is one of the reasons I come to this board.

I want each and EVERY one of you to know, that I too can relate to your situation.

Thank you so much for sharing how you feel. I know it may not be easy to discuss, but I am here to listen, and I too have the SAME EXACT FEELINGS!!

Thank you ALL for helping me feel a little less alone.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2009

hahahahaha.... so I went by a district yesterday to pick up an application. The secretary gave me kind of a funny look and then went to get me the application. I had a feeling, a vibe. So, just now, when I remembered it, I went to their website, and sure enough the job posting is gone. They already found their person. Why couldn't she have just told me that they are through, did their interviews!!!! Why would she give it to me and say nothing. Stupid! I could have spent a long time getting the whole application package together for nothing. I don't care about working at that district anyways, I'm just annoyed at some of these admin people. It was a part time reading tutor thing anyways.

8. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

soooo i just found another person I know with less experience and no real teaching experience at all got an interview at a district id love to work at, have subbed before it and recently applied to....because she knows the board of ed president. i feel like everytime i hear ANYTHING about the teaching profession it stabs me a little bit more in the heart.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I hate that!! So unfair.
    I know someone who got a job just because the Superintendent was their neighbor! Unreal!

Maybe it will work for me someday! I just looked at the website of the school I'm interviewing at next week. It looks like one of the teachers in that particular department is an old teacher of mine! What are the odds she will be on the interview commitee, remember what a great student I was, and help me get hired?? HMMMMM???

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2009

I would email her and say, that you remember her as a teacher and are very excited over the prospect of interviewing at a school where she works. You never know.... Could get your foot in the door!:rolleyes:

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 18, 2009

Well, since it is the summer I don't know if they check their e-mail. Also, I can't be 100% sure it's the same person! The name is the same. The problem is I didn't even have her for this particular subject. Could be someone else! The teachers' websites were all under construction so I couldn't check them out :confused:

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2009

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "We hired the guidance counselor's wife." or "the person we hired is the daughter of the school board president." Or "we hired internally." Frustrating!

13. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

im really starting to think thats the only way ill ever get a job. they also told her they had 600 applications for that one position. insanity! if i cant ever get an interview i just dont know how I can ever prove that i can do it!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2009

What I'm finding frustrating is that I'm an experienced teacher (8 yrs) & I'm having a hard time even getting that interview. I also have a master's degree, so that's probably working against me too.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

What drives me nuts is that my county is required to post jobs for five days. Except that when they're posted, the job has already been filled internally or by the same scenario you listed. I spent days last summer applying for jobs that didn't actually exist.

16. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

Are we twins? :lol: Same here...8 years in a classroom and took time off to be a SAHM. Now have my M.Ed degree and I can't even get an interview!

I think someone up thread mentioned feeling like a "wanna be" and that is me all over. I feel so out of place. I volunteered weekly at my oldest child's school last year and got to know the 1st and 2nd grade staff very well since I was around so much. Many of them have given me tips on getting hired with the particular ES school and all say they'd love for me to be on their team. We see each other outside of school on occasion and I also keep up with two of them via email. We've gotten to be friends...but there is still this weirdness. They all talk on the playground about their "facebook" circle and how they all interact. One told me to look her up and add her to be my friend (My page is private and no one can search me to add me) I did and next thing I know she denied the request and it is obvious they like me, but they don't see me as part of their"circle" so to speak. I know I should't take it to heart, but I did.

17. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

Same here! Jobs bring posted, but candidates are already internally chosen for the slot.

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 19, 2009

I feel like a "wanna be" too! I taught for 8yrs...stayed home 4yrs...and took an aide positioni last year when I couldn't get an interview for a FT teaching position. I feel like such an outsider. Now I am IN a school district, but there are no positions open to even interview for, along with the fact that there are 30+ cert. teachers working as asst/subs in the district vying for any opening too. I JUST WANT TO BE A FT TEACHER!!!! :)

19. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 19, 2009

I feel like an outsider as well...but I did come from the "outside", after all.
    I am still working on my PA certification so I am only applying to Catholic high schools and part-time College instructor positions. I applied to four positions and didn't have any feedback yet. I am starting to fear that my 5 years of teaching experience and dual Masters won't be enough...

20. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 19, 2009

Tomorrow, I might or might not get called for my phone interview. How freaking hard is it to assign at least a time range? I have a doctor's appointment for this weird skin thing on my hand and I just know that's when they'll call. The weird thing is that this position is the exact same one I applied for last year.

21. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

To add fuel to my already irritated fire...

Just got done reading an email from a teacher friend about pre-planning next week and one of the other teachers I guess hit "reply all" to my friend's question of whom was going to be at the ES this week before pre-planning to set up their room....this other teacher who replied to all went on and on about how she won't be going to do squat early and how teaching is a job with unending hours and how she is over it because she gives too much of her personal time to others....blah blah blah! You know what...if she is so unhappy then leave and let some of us who would LOVE to go set up a classroom have a shot at it then!

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

Let's see... just to add to my already miles-long list of issues I have with applying:
    - Counties that require you use their reference form & won't accept letters of rec older than 1 year. I don't know how much longer I can keep going back and asking my former bosses to fill out forms for me. It's annoying for them - they have other things to do.
    - Counties that REQUIRE negative TB test results before they'll even consider you. I don't have insurance - or the money for the test.
    - Counties that require sealed, official transcripts direct from my university. They're $12 each. You would think that they would accept the issuance of a professional certificate as FACT that I graduated from a university.
    - The brand-new middle school in my county that's opening this year and hired NO external candidates. Instead, they hired the elementary school teachers who would have been laid off and are allowing almost every teacher at the school to teach out of field next year. I'm glad those teachers have a job this year, but I'm still annoyed.
    - It's July 20 and I have not had a single interview yet.

23. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

Seriously, what is with the official transcripts. That gets so expensive. Is my diploma from the college not enough, as well as certification from my state since my state had to verify my transcripts too? I am with you on this one!

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 20, 2009

Mine only cost $3 but it still adds up!

25. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I just love the "interviews" I've been on. 15 minutes with a timer where they interview 50 plus people. At least I get an excuse to get out the house and keep my interview skills fresh.

Cherbutta, I hear you on the TB test. I've had TB so I will always have a positive from the skin test. I have to get a chest X-Ray to clear me. My references are more than a year old. I basically had to argue with human resources to not throw them out. I know that most of the districts in Florida are still finalizing their budgets and most are expecting to lose students. Granted I think they're wrong in most areas. Hubby's school was told to plan that they'll lose 50 students but enrollment was up at the end of the year.

I think what will happen in Florida is this: First day happens. The districts aren't losing thousands of students each and BAM they need teachers. It'll be a mass scramble to find people. Our time will come!!

26. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

My last couple of days I was at my old school all I heard was complaining from people. "I've been at this school 15 years I shouldn't have to switch rooms." "If he thinks I'm going to teach 4th grade, he's an idiot." I so hear you on wanting to say, "Well if you don't like it quit! I would be more than happy to take your place. There are hundreds of people for one position so get off your high horse." :banghead:

It sounds as though some of those teachers have a time management issue. Somehow my hubby manages to get to two separate classrooms at two separate schools set-up in time without staying late.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

I feel like *I* should be interviewing school districts - What makes YOU worthy of me ordering another set of transcripts? Why are YOU deserving of me driving 1.5 hours each way to get YOUR reference form filled out? What guarantee is there for me that I will get a return on my investment with YOU?

And, of course, the simple answer is: There are eleventy million other people who are willing to do it, so suck it up, fill it up, and pay it out.

28. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

Exactly! I am sick of hearing how they can't believe they have to spend extra time setting u p their classrooms and how they have to move rooms or how they don't want to be bothered with meetings with pre-planning. I sat at the pool last week listening to two teachers on the side of the pool belly aching over everything from how to decorate their rooms to what if they get so and so kid in their room. :banghead:

29. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

"If they can't take the heat...get out of the kitchen" and let some of us deserving chefs(teachers ;) ) do what we do best. Seriously!!!

30. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Just got done with my phone "interview." It was exactly five questions. Here they are; Are you currently employed? Why did you leave that position? Did you get your degree through a college of education? What is your experience? Then got the you'll be contacted through the online system sometime next because we had so many applicants. There goes another one.

I totally got the feeling that they didn't write down anything I said after I told them I was non-renewed. I was non-renewed because some idiot in district didn't think that I had a valid teaching certificate. Would you like to see a copy of my evaluations? My UE will last through October then it's back to being a wannabe again. At least I wasn't at the doctor's office.

31. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

MATgrad...I feel you today too. I just got an email from the P at my daughter's ES saying she hoped I had luck finding a job, but that she already offered the 3rd grade job to someone else...last week! Then why was it posted last week if she had already offered it? :mad:

32. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

I'm having one of those days--I'm ready to stop apply and just accept that I will do the 12wk internship to get fully certified. Ok then I'll be fully certified, out several more thousands of dollars b/c I'm giving up my full time job for 12wks to intern and having to pay the ACP program on top of that and still not being able to find a job when I'm done. UGH!!
    Then to top that all off I spend hours filling out an application, find out that the jobs posted on the web site are different than the ones they have listed on the app site and then find a 3rd place on the same school district site that again has different job listings--WT heck!
    Even the "job seekers" forum seems pretty quiet today (and I keep misspelling quiet--luckily I caught it this time)
    And to top it all off I have a meeting with a customer at 2:00 and my shoe is torn--when did this happen? I didn't notice it this morning and these are my favorite shoes!

33. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Does she know of any schools that may have openings? Budgets are still being settled here and I know of some teachers that are resigning so they can stay home with the little ones but will they ever be posted. That is the $69,000 question.

I went on an a real interview a couple of weeks ago. I say real because they didn't interview 50 plus people. They told me there would be a position and I was highly encouraged to apply for it. Well it has yet to materialize. I am really starting to feel like I was jerked around. My non-renewal has been the kiss of death.

October is my deadline. Do or die in a sense. There wont be anymore UE after that and I will have to sub again. I'll get to go be the fodder for gossip and pity. The gossip doesn't bother me but the looks of pity do.

34. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 20, 2009

I have emailed every single principal in my county (the the next two over) and either I never get a reply or all I get is "good luck with my search". I really thought if anyone would give me at least an interview it would have been the P that knows me since she saw me on a weekly basis last yr at the school.

35. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I am lucky if I get a response at all to the P's I have contacted, both via email or drop off of materials. I understand that the economy is my biggest obstacle, but I am really having a hard time working this hard for a teaching position without getting an interview that might lead to a FT job. It's really taking it's toll...

36. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I'll probably have to do the 12 week internship deal, not get paid, pay my alternative teaching program 3,000 dollars, get fully certified, and then be left out in the cold when all is set and done trying to find a job half way through the school year.

37. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

We are in the same boat. I feel like I have spent more time applying than I spent in the ACP program. Before I signed up for the ACP I spoke with some people that had gone through the program and asked "did you have a hard time getting a job?" There response, "No, there is always a need for teachers." I've been thinking about that alot lately and I think one edge she had was that she is bilingual--kind of important!!!

38. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I just got an email that my dream position has been filled by an internal transfer. I am so hurt and angry right now. I really feel like I was jerked around again. I am so ready to hit the weights right now.

Don't look me in the eye and tell me that I'll have a place at a school when you can't guarantee it. It does nothing but hurt.

39. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I just called a school I found a position available a few weeks ago and even hand delivered my resume to that school last week and they told me the postition was filled at the end of last week. Good stuff indeed.

I've also spent countless hours filling out applications and applying. 30 applications out, went to 7 job fairs, and subbed at two school districts and even gave schools in those school districts my resume when I subbed there and still nothing.

Funny thing is I was watching the news Friday night and they said to two jobs that are stable are medical and teaching. I question where channel 8 news got that information from.

40. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

This is so frustrating.