The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

MAT~~I have had two mothers-in-law and both of them were/are wonderful people. I know that is rare and I do count myself blessed.:hijack:

2. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

Sounds about right. :p Although, in addition to my husband's sister being the light of everyone's life, his brother's wife walks on water. I'm the black sheep: the one who doesn't have a "real" job. (Teaching isn't a real job-- I'm a glorified babysitter who writes lesson plans.) The joys of being married to the middle child... :p

Getting back on topic: I just sent another email to the director of HR in the last district where I taught. August is coming up soon and I reeeeeeeally don't want to look for a job outside of teaching.... :unsure:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

lilmisses~I hope that they get back to you soon!!

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

best wishes lilmisses

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

Need economy-sized box of tums. Am applying to brand-new local charter school. I've never applied/worked at one before... but landing a job there would allow me to live at home for a year & save up some money... GAH. I hate job searching. Also, my roots are pretty bad & really need to do hair. Why am I gray in my late 20s?

Oh, right. JOB SEARCHING.

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Hi everyone. New to this forum but not to the job search process.

I've signed a "commitment to employement" with a district out of my state and everytime I call them (and sit on hold) to inquire about their internal placement fairs/new teacher orientation/etc. I keep getting told, "we have a surplus of teachers right now, call back in a week." They told me not to worry that they always have more teachers than positions but a lot of their vets leave (it's a pretty tough area but a job is a job at this point). I'm just worried that I'm going to get all ready to go out there and bam, no job.

Yesterday I got called for an interview with a district in my state about 2 hours away. I know a positive attitude is very important and I'm extremely positive about teaching but there's a part of me saying, "This interview will be just like the 10 others you've gone on this year, the district interviews 25 people and you don't get a call back." I've been so close (the #2 choice) but it's hard not to get down on yourself and the process in general.

So glad to see this forum (and sad that there are many others in the same situation).

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

So, I have been looking at the statistical possibilities of actually getting a job in my area. I have been applying within 3 counties. My home county alone employs 9000+ teachers. There are 14,000+ applicants k-12 in this county. For each position 2,500+ applicants per position. hmmmmm...1 in 2500 chance of getting a job. ughhhhh...I think I have a tummy ache now...tums please.

I just feel so helpless. I have done and continue to do everything to try and stand out, but I feel like in two years it hasn't helped because up to this point I haven't had any bites. I really don't think I am being looked at...

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 14, 2009

I have an interview this week and one next week. At least someone is reading my resumes! I was not happy to find out though that the only job in my home district that I'm qualified for is a .2 position. What is that? Like an hour a day??? HUH????? GRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:
    Yeah, I'd like to only work an hour a day...but that pay check would really stink!

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

My hubby is split between two schools. He is .6 at one school and .4 at another. It translates to 3 days at one and 2 at another. I'm taking the .2 to sound like 1 day a week.

10. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

This sucks! I have put out countless applications! I have the Human Resources guy at one school telling me to "call him every other day" then when I do he said, "I told you to do that? I must have been being really nice that day". What the heck does that mean?

Then I get a call about interviewing for a position that I am in no way qualified for. I don't have the classes that would be required by the state to even take the position!

I just feel like I am wasting my time.

11. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I know how everyone feels. I graduated last year with an elementary education degree. After college I landed a preschool position which is not what I want. I want to do what I graduated for and that is elementary. I have been applying to a whole bunch of positions around my area. Three of those positions got cut because of budgets cuts and I haven't heard from anyone else. Last year at this time I had three or four interviews. I don't have any yet. Is anyone in the same boat? I hope I am not the only one who has not had an interview yet.

12. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

I'm there with you. Left the classroom three years ago to be a SAHM for a bit. Went back to get my M.Ed this past year and will graduate in Dec. I've applied and applied...no interviews that were fruitful. I've had an offer to interview in a school that wanted to pay me $10K a yr with a masters and at one school 2.5 hours away from my house. Needless to say, neither of those happened for obvious reasons. I am completely bummed since I applied to my home county this week and not one word back expect to say "thanks, but no thanks...we'd like someone with more experience" which hurts like crazy since I have 8 yrs experience in private school arenas. :confused:

13. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

No you are not the only one. I have been sending out applications since NOVEMBER and haven't gotten one interview.

Out of desperation, I took a cashiering job. Of course my boss is telling everyone not to worry that I am not leaving when I said because "no one will hire her. She has an online degree. That isn't the same thing"

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet! I'm having a hard time staying hopeful this year and am constantly thinking of other options that I have besides teaching.

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

This is my second hiring season. I have had two interviews in that time, with no job offer. I have 8 yrs. experience before being a SAHM for 4yrs. I am back in the school environment as a one-on-one aide. I have applied to dozens of openings and had little to no response. I cry once a day just to get it out of my system. I know a great deal of the problem is the lack of job openings because of the economy. But it hurts nonetheless. Hugs to everyone...we sure do need it.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

I had an interview yesterday. They didn't ask me ANY of the questions that I was prepared for. Why?? Because they interviewed me for a position I didn't APPLY FOR!! I assumed the interview was for one subject area and they were looking for sp. ed which I do not really have the proper certification for. Hmmmm, did someone read my resume upside down or something?? How did they not catch this?
    :dizzy:

17. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Well, I was lucky that this week I actually had 2 interviews (the first this hiring season!)

The first position was for an urban school - the job had been posted as saying "minorities encouraged to apply" -but I sent it in anyway. It was for middle school English. The school did call me and set up an interview for this past Tuesday - unfortunately, I think once they saw my blonde hair and blue eyes, that was the end. They were cordial, but the P told me that they really wanted a "diverse staff" that would be representative of the school. :banghead:

I had another one today for an elementary music, 1 year position in a small, local school. I was shocked when I walked into the conference room and saw 9 people seated around the table! Anyhow, I tried to dazzle them with my elementary music experience, and I think I had at least three of them in my camp - another one was on the fence and seemed to smile and nod a few times.
    The others sat unresponsive and stone-faced, incl. the P and AP. Half of the panel agreed with my idea that music should be a creative, active participatory experience, and to encourage the students to sing, play appropriate instruments, and have fun while learning. Unfortunately, the head of the music dept. did not agree, and was more into textbook teaching and having the kids learn/read about music history and theory with written tests. :down:

I am sooooo tired from all this:| - this is now my third year of looking for a permanent position and I just don't know what to do anymore...:beatdeadhorse: I cannot afford to go back to school to get cert. in anything else, not too mention - will that guarantee me a job or just put me further in debt?

I really need a drink :confused:......(even though I don't drink!!)

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

I love the dead horse Flutetoot. It is precisely how I feel about this process.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 16, 2009

That's terrible!! Isn't that reverse discrimination? I guess they don't think EOE applies to them. What if no minorities apply? I guess they have you to fall back on!

20. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

Flute,

You are doing everything right!!! It's there loss. I can't believe that Music teacher!!

Good Luck!!

21. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Thanks TeacherNY - I would think so, too. Here's a kicker for you - my husband applied to the same district a couple of years ago and was told that they (the district) was committed to its minority candidates and could not offer him (my dh) a position, even though we knew (for a fact) that one of the "teachers" was still in college and hadn't even graduated yet (and so was not certified)

Oh well, everything happens for a reason...(or so I keep telling myself over & over!:rolleyes:) Don't think I'd want to work there anyway!! :crosseyed

22. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Don't ya just hate that! I cannot stand it when I go out of my way for an interview and it is a complete waste of time (and gas!) Don't they even look at your application packet before they call you?????:rolleyes:

23. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

This happened to my friend last year. She is certified special ed. and got called in for an interview. About half way through they made a comment to her and she realized they were interviewing her for a regular ed classroom. :huh: She actually stopped the interview and asked if she was understanding correctly that they were interviewing her for a 2nd grade classroom and the P. said yes. She asked if they realized she was certified spec. ed and the P. looked bewildered. she said she explained that she had no desire to do regular ed and politely excused herself. she got hired at their rival school the next day for spec. ed! Seriously...do these people sometimes not read?

24. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

It does make you wonder if they close their eyes and take a few from the stack of apps. to call for interviews. That is probably why they haven't called me, I wasn't in the right stack!

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

That happened to me - I was there for English. She started out by asking about my experience, yadda yadda... then asked me about my approach to Home Economics :dizzy:

I told her I like to cook and sew but really hate folding laundry and vacuuming and if she wanted to stop by my apartment for dinner, she was welcome, but um... what did that have to do with English??? :lol: She was mortified - she picked up the wrong applicant folder. Got the job anyway. That should have been my first sign that it was destined to be the Job That Would Strip Away My Sanity.

I need a margarita just thinking about it.

26. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 16, 2009

oh, chebrutta...that is hilarious! What a sense of humor you had in that situation.

27. GoTarheels

GoTarheels Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

New to this thread...but I'm a constant lurker. Pass the rum my way!!!

I'm in the middle of relocating to my home state, and this job search is killing me. I am going in for an interview next week, but all of my optimism has flown out the window. The school is 11 hours away, so I plan on getting there 2 days early and visiting as many schools as possible.

It's 3:39 AM. Time for some rest. Good luck to everyone!

28. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Not only can I not get a teaching job, I have applied at every preschool and store in the nearby shopping center and not even had a call. If even looked into those sitter websites. It's shocking what people want to pay someone to watch their child. $50/week to watch 2 kids afterschool. That's $3/hr and I have to use gas picking the up at school.

I got my second bachelors when my kids were small and have only worked in preschool settings b/c they were going to the same place and it made $$$$ sense. For two years I've been subbing maybe 2days a week with 2 LT sub jobs and volunteering like mad with nothing but filler interviews. I think they knew who they were hiring but officially needed to interview a few candidates.

I am at such a dilemma. Do I give up completely and try something else like nursing? Do I take out loans and take ESE (30credit hrs) for extra certification? Will I still be in the same boat as I am now?

29. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

This sounds terrible...I know...I have a VERY strong passion for teaching, but it has been SEVERAL years and thousands of dollars in loans and I STILL don't have a teaching job with benefits. Yes I'm grateful I have a sub job for next year. Please don't misunderstand me.

I started in nursing and wish I would have stayed in it. I have several friends in nursing and they NEVER have had to worry about a job. I'm paying MORE money to get another certification to teach and I'll still be in the same boat next year.

Venting here too...I love Suze Orman...She claimed 2015 is when it will get better.

I don't even know if alcohol would do the trick right now.

30. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I know no one really can tell me the future, it's just so hard guessing what will happen. Does anyone else feel they are wasting their time waiting??

My kids are probably in the last year the will need aftercare ($700/month for 2 kids) so I sub in a very limited area b/c the cost is more than I would make subbing some months so after next year they can stay by themselves afterschool and I will be able to sub further away and hopefully make better contacts (I live in a highly desirable/difficult to find job "district") in other districts.

31. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

last year on this exact date I had already had 2 interviews and this was when I had no classroom expereince besides subbing and student teaching. I now have a half-year LTS sub experience where I did EVERYTHING the regular teacher would do in that time and am so much more prepared for a job and I STILL have not gotten an interview. To be honest, I dont even count the interview I had with the school I worked for because I feel as if they had someone else in mind all along and just interviewed me out of courtesy. I still havent heard from them yet though so we'll see.... but it makes me SO mad that I haven gotten a single call from anyone else!!!! i just dont get it....

32. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Is anyone getting highly impatient??
    I'm at the point where I just want to ask what the likelihood of me getting the position will be so I won't waste my time.
    I am waiting on a certain school's principal to come back from "vacation" to see if I get this job or not, but I just want to know now!!! Is that too hard to ask? I feel like I can't even plan out my life for the next few months because I don't even know if I will have a job or not. Grrrrr...

33. GoTarheels

GoTarheels Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Miss84, I have definitely crossed over to the impatient side!

This coming Monday, I will officially start applying for other types of jobs. Since I spend so much time at Staples, I guess I will start there. Thinking about Starbucks too. I hear they are going to start selling beer and wine at some locations. That way, I can work and drink myself silly at the same time/place. :|

34. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

If you can get full time at Starbucks, they actually have great benefits. However, it's really hard to get full time hours there.

I truly hope all of you get teaching positions for this year. It's clear that you all have passion for teaching, and I am sorry our crappy economy is stifling that.

35. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Thanks stg and dhe!

I lost all patience ages ago. I also find that I'm obsessing over every tiny thing much more than ever before. A few days ago I read the thread about the Teacher Insight test, which many of my local districts are using for screening interviews... and I'm wondering if I somehow screwed it up. I have wonderful relationships with all of my references, but I still wonder if one of them didn't give me a great reference. Not sure why I'd wonder that, though...

I feel like screaming right now-- especially since the director of HR in my current district isn't returning any of my emails or phone calls.

36. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Yeah, and you can get an employee's discount!

37. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Me too! I desperately need a part-time job and have applied to so many retail stores and have had not one call back. I want to work nights and weekends - usually stores are always in need for those hours. It really makes me feel awful; not only can I not get a teaching job but I can't get a job at Target either. Ugh.

38. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Wow I completely understand where you are coming from! I am working part time now, but feel like WHERE I work may be part of the reason that I am not getting called for any interviews. I have sent out countless applications and resumes. I am so tired of not even getting a rejection. It is like the application just goes into a void!!!

39. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

I think the most depressing issue about this whole job search/finding nothing thing is that... I feel like an also-ran. Like I'm running ALONG SIDE teachers...but not ONE of them. ... A wannabe. And a bit like... I don't even BELONG here to discuss teaching..no respect goes to those who can't participate.. And the old STUPID line? "Those who CAN do, Those who CAN"T teach." (How WRONG!) But then... what about those who can't even teach?

Recently another poster on this forum asked me to help with a little advice about planning a curriculum for their summer school class. They had noticed in one post I wrote that I really like curriculum and unit planning. (Once I have a theme/concept/Standard in mind... the ideas POUR out. I limited myself to five specific sections/days though I could have gone on and on... The suggestions integrated lessons in reading, writing, and math with science, social studies, and life skills. And it was as natural to me as ...breathing)

The point IS... I THINK teaching...ALL THE TIME. In my MIND, I'm a teacher...and a dang good one. (Going back in time, to college...if you would have said to the class that *I* would be the one that wouldn't get the job.. the class and professors would have been shocked.) But in LIFE...I'm just one of those who would LIKE to be a teacher.

(I THINK back to when I taught..and parent-teacher conferences. How teachers used to smirk at the parents who had "just enough" to ALMOST be teachers..but not. What a BOTHER they were.)

And what OF the also-rans? They ... and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

The folks at the grocery store will ask me things...as if I am a dictionary. "Ask McKenna. She's smart. She knows a lot of answers." *Sigh* Is that IT?

I spoke with my father today. He's 83 (and in every discussion you can hear the "making sure his family is ok before he goes" vibe). After discussing my kids..he'll say... "and how are you?" I have to tell him I'm trying, but not finding. I try to put a positive spin on it..but I can hear disappointment in his voice.("oh McKenna *sigh*") .and I feel like a child with a poor report card. He's even started to say to me.. "why can't you be like your niece? SHE got a teaching job right away" (ie. what's YOUR problem?)

I want to think positive about myself again. But my whole life is centered around this...losing battle. It's affected my weight, my home and social life, my everything. I... I even LOOK defeated (in the mirror).

Pass the rum (sheesh... I don't even DRINK!)

40. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

I don't think they DO.

How FRUSTRATING when you are giving your short "about me" speech and they seem shocked and surprised about things that are CLEARLY on your resume (not a side note in a long essay-answer but a major note in your resume).

I feel like saying... "wait, you didn't get THAT??? and yet you are judging ME on MY insight???"