The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 8, 2009

I'm with you--no luck on job hunting. I want an interview so bad but truly I don't know what I would do if I got one :eek:

2. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

I have trouble sleeping and I have trouble waiting. I think I am hungry but I am not. I can't watch tv or relax. I feel so anxious I can hardly stand myself!
    One interview and no job offers. Why doesn't someone call????

3. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

Another day of no news on the job front...time for dollar glasses of margaritas at Hacienda(an Indiana Mexican restaurant) with my summer job co-workers. Ill drink a few for all of us out there still hunting :)

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

No decent nights' rest around here, either.

HUGE vent ahead:
    On top of that, we're paying through the nose for car repairs. What has me beyond p.o.'d is that these are issues my IL's promised to take care of for us. Their Christmas gifts to us was that they were going to fix our cars since DH and I didn't have the money: I needed a new windshield and tire, DH needed a new wheel bearing (sp?) and lots of work done on the engine. The only thing they did for us was my FIL replaced the wheel bearing (sp?) on my husband's car. Well, in the process of "fixing" it, FIL-- who knows very little about cars but thinks he's a professional-- royally f---ed up the ABS. :mad: FIL also swore up and down that there was nothing wrong with the engine in DH's car (going as far as calling me a liar)... even though it was stalling on us all the time and wouldn't start when it rained. We paid $500 to fix things that "weren't wrong" and we still need to have more work done. I'm having my windshield replaced tomorrow. If my ILs said that they'd fix our cars up to $100, whether total or for each of us, this wouldn't be an issue. If they said that they would do the fixes themselves and not take the cars to shops (even though FIL is not a professional and knows virtually nothing about cars...), then this wouldn't be an issue. They're well-off so money isn't a problem (geez, they spent over $500 on each of DH's siblings and their spouses). It just sucks because they made a promise to us and we relied on them to keep their promise. :(

Okay, vent over!

Pass the margaritas, please.

Peachy, that sucks so very badly that your old district called to ask for money back.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2009

I really, really, really hate it when people don't keep their word. :hugs: lilmisses.

In other news, I worked tonight; got home at 10:30; realized majority of my food supply is frozen and not quickly prepared; rummaged and ended up eating cornbread. With extra butter. This strikes me as sad and more than a little pathetic on my part, so I'll wash it down with some rum.

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

i feel the same!!!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 8, 2009

UGH!! And the people who made the mistakes still have jobs, huh? NOT FAIR :mad:

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

Peachyness, that is terrible

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

I'm not sure but I don't think they can legally ask you to give that money back. I would call the department of labor and get their opinion on the subject.

Got two rejection emails this morning for the same position. I guess they wanted to make sure that I got the message.

10. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Please pass me a large margarita.

Decided to return to teaching after not doing it for six years. I continued working in the same district (subbing, then IT) after quitting my teaching position (depression related) so I've only been out of the school system for a year. I now have a good job with local government. Thing is, this job made me realize how much I love teaching. So I decided to return this year, and was hoping with all of my connections in my old disctrict, that getting a position wouldn't be too difficult. And I haven't heard a thing, and principals are on summer break now....just bummed.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2009

I'm not a drinker, can't really stand most alcoholic drinks, but I am SOOOO in the mood for a peach margarita, it's not even funny. I went down and wrote out the big fat check! I had to transfer money from my saving account to get by. This really sucks!

12. bet3

bet3 Companion

Jul 9, 2009

Sorry, MAT grad. I feel for you.

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

I knew there would eventually be a revial of this club! It wouldn't be the Job Seekers forum if it doesn't make an appearance. :) I've avoided this forum for a month now because I just simply couldn't take it anymore. I put job hunting in the back of my mind since there was really no progress to be made since in my area, the schools are on vacation until this coming Monday. I was driving myself sick worrying about a job for the upcoming school year so I really had to put it in the back of my mind. It did me go because now that it's time to step up my game when it comes to job hunting, I'm mentally relaxed to do so now. To my surprise, I received a voicemail today requesting an interview for local charter school. The location is ideal and I'm sure the pay will not be, but it's a teaching job and it will pay the bills so I'm not worrying about that. I didn't have the opportunity to call back and schedule an interview since I didn't see the voicemail until later in the day, but I'll call first thing in the morning to schedule for next week. The interview is for third grade. I have no expecations because I've already settled myself mentally in knowing that there's a good chance I won't be teaching this upcoming school year. If I receive a teaching position then that'll be fab and if not, I've already dealt with it emotionally and mentally.

14. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 9, 2009

Glad to see this thread back :)

My district pink slipped about 200 teachers and I'm waaaay down the seniority list. The district is millions of dollars in the red, the state is bankrupt... what a mess.

I'm on unemployment for the first time and it sucks. I'm single so I can't rely on a spouse to take overtime or anything like that. At the end of the school year there were a good number of positions being posted, but now they've dried up and I haven't gotten any calls for interviews. Most of the positions I'm seeing these days are for Special Ed (which I don't have a cred for) and preschool, which doesn't pay as well. I've started debating if I should apply for a job at a place like KinderCare, knowing that if I was offered a 'real' teaching job I would be out of there like a shot.

I'm trying not to think about it, but the deeper I get into the summer, the harder it becomes. :(

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

Peachyness...I am not a drinker either, but this jobhunting business has me pretty close to just drinking myself silly. Ugh...last night I had the best and yet cruelest dream ever. I had one of those real life dreams where I walked into the building I aide in, and there was the principal holding a teacher bag full of goodies just for me...SURPRISE!! I was the new 1st grade teacher. My body finally relaxed after two years of feeling tense. Then I woke up...CRASH back to no FT teaching job. I am really swimming in helplessness because there isn't a job to be had in 3 counties around me. I just looked up how many teachers are employed in my home county....9000+. And there have only been 12 openings in elem. ed.(all of which were filled internally). What do you do with that? I keep pluggin' along and poundin' the pavement in hopes that I catch the right person at the right time. But I am emotionally and physically exhausted. The reality is that I have to come to terms with another year, but this is really killing me. Plus people don't understand how you can be searching in every district within an hour for two years and not have a job. I feel degraded at every turn. BLAH!!! Thanks guys & gals for letting me vent too :)

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

Hugs to all of you.

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

Oy!...

The thread about "2009 jobs" and i have a love/hate thing going on. I LOVE celebrating with AtoZ regulars (ex: Smalltowngal) who I have come to know and KNOW that she has been looking SO long and SO hard...

But then the hate part comes in... (not mentioning i HATE not being on the list MYSELF, but...) When i read that people are getting jobs after sending out only a FEW applications and after only ONE interview.

Sure,sure I'm glad anyone gets a job... but how surreal is it in this world that some are getting this SO soon???
    How many applications and resumes have i sent? - I can't even remember...but it's EASILY into the multiple hundreds. Interviews? About 20-some (and i find it an accomplishment even to GET one)..Second interviews? (how come these people never even have to have second interviews?) I was called for one last year-I was in the hospital(getting out THAT day) and they wouldn't reschedule...so i never was given the chance.

But... OK, I'm being bi**hy about it. But ONE INTERVIEW and Zoinks! a JOB???? Talk about not having to suffer for your craft! (Are they THAT incredible? or are there NO other candidates?)

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

UGH... (and i think we are from the same area.)

I left the public library (where i do all my applications-home is too distrcting)...and cursed that i NEVER drink (and CAN'T drink - hate the taste)...because I was SO down, I just wanted to drink myself under the table!

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

One of the things that worries me so much is...that with not having interview calls for a while...and getting down... I don't think I'll be on my game FOR interviews!

I need to make a habit of interview practice EVERY night!

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

I need to do this, too. Not that I'm getting any interviews... but I'm always nervous during the few I've had & ALWAYS think of what I *should* have added when I get home.

I also need to go into the interview q thread and start making a list of Q&A. I've been slacking this year. My heart's not in it.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2009

UGH!!! I can't stand preparing for those interview questions. When I go into an interview, I kinda go in a bit cold. I want to sound real, not rehearsed. Well, it's gotten me jobs in the past, at least. I don't know why I hate practicing those interview questions so badly though.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

McKenna~that was my thoughts and feelings exactly for the past two years. And to tell the truth, I feel a little guilty because so many of my friends on this board who have been looking for so long are still looking.

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

STG - DO NOT FEEL GUILTY.

I will come over there and smack you.

24. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

i feel the same peachy.i do formulate some ideas on the really popular questions and go over some stuff but i never really rehearse. i just cant find it in myself to sit there and i feel like i wouldnt give the same answer at an interview anyway!

25. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Jul 11, 2009

Hey, can I re-join the club?

I was here last year, but then I accepted a LTS position as a music teacher, which then turned into a LTS position as a band teacher :cool:

Well, the year is now over and I am back to the job hunt. This is now my 3rd summer in a row where I have had to search. Yes, I know others have been at it longer than me, but (and I believe it was McKenna) someone else pointed out that it seems that others are very fortunate and get permanent job offers after only a few weeks of searching and applying to only a few districts. They are very lucky.

My problem is that every year that goes by where I don't get a "real" teaching job, makes it feel like my chances are getting slimmer to *ever* get a real job. Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger (I'm 42) and the ones that are getting the jobs are half of my age and 50 lbs. lighter (yes, I'm overweight).

I know others have said that age doesn't matter, but in my area, it sure seems to. Every job that I have applied for/interviewed for has been given to a first year teacher fresh out of college, usually under 25 yrs. old.

Unfortunately, I cannot move because I have kids and my husband works here and is tenured in his job. (he only has 10 years left)

The thing that really annoys me is that many of these people that they hire are not any better than me and are often less knowledgeable in their area. For instance, I am certified in music and have been playing professionally for 20+ years. I know performance and know music. The young teachers have never performed and some can barely play any instrument. The teacher I did the LTS for has been teaching band for 3 years - he spends 3 months on how to hold the instrument and how to make a sound - the students do not even learn how to play notes until 3 months later :confused: After I conducted the spring concert, I had numerous parents come up to me and say that they wish I could stay because their child has learned so much more from me than the other teacher - but he is tenured and under contract and I am only the sub.

I am also certified in LA and the same thing happens - I know middle school literature inside and out and have worked in the past with the standardized tests - yet inexperienced teachers get the job because they are younger, thinner, and "fit in more with the school" (or so I am told). The really sad thing is that these teachers rarely last more than a year and then the same job is posted again and the school hires another teacher, etc. :dizzy:

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent - I try to remain positive but I don't know how much more I have left in me. I may have another LTS position coming up, but I *really* want to have my own class and know that I don't have to keep looking for work every year!

26. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

i think the most frustrating aspect of job hunting in the teaching profession is that often your skills and abilities arent always what get you the job. I feel like VERY often it is who you know or if you're in the right place at the right time or just plain luck to be honest! and unfortunately some of us just dont have as much luck it seems! I think this is why so many of us are seriously at our wits end becasue we all know we are AWESOME teachers who would do an amazing job but arent given the opportunity.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

:hugs: flute. I'm sorry that you're searching again. I understand the long job hunt. Most of the time its not about what you know, but who you know...and sometimes the person you know has to be REALLY high up in the district (as in my case apparently). I don't think age necessarily has anything to do with it. Some principals see older teachers as having real world experience that they can bring into the classroom. Principals that hire younger, first year teachers are probably thinking about budget concerns as they would be less expensive than teachers with experience. Good luck!

28. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Hey, flute, I know where you are coming from. I think you correct about hiring practices. You just hope that you can interview with someone who will look past the outside and see you as the best teacher even if you are older or heavier or don't dress a certain way or wear enough makeup or know someone or.............

29. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

I understand how this situation might look to a person who has been hunting a job for awhile.

But you have to ask, what was the teaching specialty of the people who sent out only a few resumes and only had one interview and got the job? Speaking for myself, it was math.

If you are in a high need field, you are going to get a job a lot faster and easier than if you are in a field that is already glutted with candidates.

And to answer your question, are there no other candidates? I landed a job as a middle school math teacher in the inner city, so very possibly there were no other candidates, or maybe I was just the most qualified of the candidates. It is probably one of the least desirable jobs to most people (but not to me - I worked there before I raised my family, and I found it to be the most rewarding and challenging position - I loved it!)

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 11, 2009

That's one of the things I'm hoping for my interview next week. It is at an inner city school and maybe nobody will want to work there but me (haha I can hope, right?). Also, there is more than one position open so I think I might have SOME chance.

31. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

Good luck! I bet you'll get the job!

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

I know what you mean STG. I feel like I would love to help everyone get a job and I know that just isn't possible. I guess I can help by trying to keep encouraging others not to give up the fight. We DO need good teachers. We DO need passionate teachers. We need knowledgeable and enthusiastic learners willing to go to go the distance so that one day they can stand in their own classroom.

I feel ever so lucky to be teaching this year and I have taken it for granted for so long. :rolleyes:

33. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

AHHHH Harold Hill's Old "Think Method"!

34. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

Without hijacking the thread... (sorry)

when I say practice, well-tonight's practice was as I was at my side job. I had a piece of paper next to me and I imagine a question I have read here.

Example:
    What are the 5 components of Reading/6+1 traits of Writing? How would you teach each?
    Or how do you teach a struggling reader?
    or How do you deal wtih a child with ADD?
    or How do you know that a student is succeeding?

I'll write down key components (listing on a paper grocery bag)
    and then as I am mindlessly scanning the customers groceries... and between casual banter with them I'm going through answers as if I was at an interview...no stops, trying not to think "ummmmm".
    My answers aren't memorized...but concise.

I test myself that I have to finish my answer before I have to announce to the customer their total for their groceries (Since I feel an interviewing weakness I have is that i tend to talk too long)
    ...and then before I greet the next customer I have answered the interviewer's question of ..."can you expand on that last answer."

Yes, while doing this I seem a little scattered and aloof to my bagger....but sometimes their high-school chatter gives me a headache....and they turn to chatter to some-one else. If I'm lucky another teacher is there working as a cashier and I bounce answers off of them.

35. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

mckenna,

That is a wonderful way to practice. Hopefullu a job is looming for you soon.

36. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Yesterday was not good. Some of hubby's out of town relatives were visiting. Cousin starts talking about joy of having children. Mother-in-law gives me pained looks that just scream "Why won't you just get pregnant?" Then goes into bedroom and cries for an hour about how she's never going to see grandkids. This is why I merely tolerate the woman. Please explain how I would support said baby since I have no job and we just squeak by on hubby's income. I know it's not job-related but I'm ready to start screaming at her.

McKenna, I may have to steal that way to practice.

37. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

:hugs: MATgrad. I'm not fond of my MIL, either.

38. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

My great-grandmother once told me that no woman really likes their mother-in-law and no mother really likes the woman her son brings home to replace her.

39. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 13, 2009

Sorry, but that woman needs hormone therapy. You are not here God given baby making machine. Feel free to vent. Oh, the inlaw stories I could tell. But generally speaking, they are nice, decent people that have little time to spend with their grandchildren. Luckily MY mom has been a wonderful grandparent. I guess it all works out. :)

40. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

This is the case for me as well. I have been extraordinarily lucky with my job hunt, but realistically, I know that it is not so much that I am great, wonderful, fabulous, etc, but that I possess a highly desirable degree and can teach in a critical need science area. So I did get lots of job offers, including one after only a screening interview, but had I been applying for almost ANY other subject, the chances of me landing even a screening interview would have been slim to none.

I feel for all of you in more saturated areas. I can't imagine how stressful and frustrating it must be. Well, I suppose I can a bit. My dad was out of work a long time after he retired from the military and he became extremely depressed. It was hard on him to keep going and keep sending out the resumes; it took a lot out of him.