The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

McKenna! I was beginning to worry about you because I hadn't seen you post here in a few days.

I know about getting to that point. I've been there. And I truly do think that there is a point we get to where we just stop caring about getting a job/man/promotion/whatever.

In my own experience, this is the point where doors start to open. Every time I have found a job, it has been at a point at which I had stopped caring about getting one. Similarly, my husband proposed to me as soon as I had accepted that we weren't getting married. I dunno, I think life works that way sometimes.

I do have a friend who had a passion for being a dentist. She had wanted to be a dentist since the time she was young, and got a job in a dentist's office in high school. She got trained to be a dental assistant. Got accepted to a prestigious dental school. She was on top of the world.

Then, she was kicked out of her dental program. She was depressed for years. She got to a point where education seemed to be the field she could get through most quickly and graduate. She could not find a teaching job once she graduated, so she took a job as a hall director in a local university. She did that for 2 years, decided she hated it, and found a teaching job that wasn't her first choice. She still wishes she could teach university students instead of high school, but she is experiencing success in her field now - she is going to be a co-author of a study that will be published next year.

So there are people who get there eventually. The problem is waiting for OUR time to come. It's so depressing to wait for our careers and lives to take off. In the meantime, let's all have some vodka. :lol:

2. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

I'm sorry, McKenna. I know what you mean about reaching that point and I think that I am just about there. After school starts next week in my area and I am reasonably sure that I am not going to get a job I am going to weigh my options and decide if I want to give it another year or not. McKenna, you have to decide what is best for you and whether you think that your chances next year will be any better . Good luck!

3. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

McKenna, I could have written much of that post myself. I have pretty much given up on the whole love thing since I've been single for the last 5 years and I'm starting to feel that way about teaching. I'm almost 30 and I need to start my career - I've been working in dead-end jobs since I was 16 and I'm no better off today than I was at 16. Sure, I have degrees but they aren't doing anything for me and they sure don't make me feel better.

I know you're a great teacher; you've shown us all how intelligent you are and we know you will do a wonderful job when someone gives you a chance. I hope it happens soon for you!

4. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

Well, there went my positive attitude.

There have officially been NO job postings in my area in the past 24 hours. No teaching jobs, no sub jobs, not even an aide job. I am on NO sub lists, no schools or districts have even called me back for my requests to get on sub lists.

:( Guess I need to really get moving on a non-teaching job search.

5. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Sep 3, 2009

McKenna :hugs::

Although I don't know you that well, I feel as if you and I are struggling together and have much in common.

I know exactly how you are feeling - after job searching for what seems like forever (almost 5 years), it is getting harder and harder to remain positive. We have sacrificed to achieve our professional goals, and yet we never seem to be able to satisfy them. It doesn't help that I am older (I'm only 40+, but that seems to *not* be in my favor at all). I know people will say that there is no age discrimination, but in my area, it seems so apparent. *Every* job I have tried for has gone to someone 15-20 years younger with less experience, less education, and less skill. The unfortunate thing is that these very young teachers have really no experience with children or life in general (for the most part) and it shows in their teaching. They are often impatient, unable to relate to students, and are very dogmatic in their approach (My way or the highway). I see it in my own children's teachers. The problem is that every year that passes where I get no job, the chances seem less and less likely that I *will* get something.
    I made the mistake professionally to give up my 30's to raise my children. I had four during that time, and tried to go back to work when my youngest was 2 (out of necessity - we had no money). Although I wouldn't trade that time, I also realize it did not help me professionally. Yes, I have had the LTS, the tutor job from H**L, and now a part-time para job. The sad thing is that in each of these jobs I did my absolute best. Now I am begging and waiting for a para job to start so I can net $100/week. I am trying to scrounge up some private music students, and am actually considering teaching a drama class one afternoon a week. Unfortunately,,. due to the economy, enrollments are down so none of this is a guarantee.
    We have depleted our savings, and I am in the process of working with a local social service agency for some kind of assistance.
    I am applying anywhere and to do anything I can, but most places think I am overqualified and will not stay. Not to mention, I am also going through personal problems at this time as well.

I don't feel as if I have any energy to do another "do-over" career-wise, but it also looks like it may be next to impossible to get a real teaching job.

Okay....enough of a sob story....time to get up, go workout, and keep job searching...

I can only hope that things are impermanent and will change....

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2009

flute, I am sorry that you are having such a bad time. I hope that it all works out for you real soon.

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 3, 2009

McKenna you are not allowed to give up!!!! I won't have it. I will get in my car and drive up to IL if I have to. If I can do it, you can do it! Hang in there! On a side note, (sorry to the good ones out there) but men can be pretty worthless. I keep waiting to meet that mythical harlequin man. Please don't give up. Your time is coming :hugs: