The revival of the Rum, Tums and Depression Club

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MATgrad, Jul 6, 2009.

1. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Wow, I can't believe they told you that. All the Ps I've interviewed with have treated me like I stood a chance of getting the job even though we both knew that I totally blew the interview and sounded like an idiot. I knew she was just being nice, but it made me feel better.

So much of the job hunt is just demoralizing and dehumanizing. Ugh.

Good luck with the subbing. I couldn't go to orientation until October last year, and I was still flooded with calls that late in the year. Hope it works the same for you! Our orientation was mostly "this is how the online and phone systems work," while another orientation for a different district was all about teaching techniques and legal matters.

2. Quiggs

Quiggs Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I'm going to have a short pity party. Sorry in advance.

The stress of looking for a job is really starting to get to me. It's hard because I'm beginning to think I'll never find one. School starts in my area the last week of August, so there is still time. To be honest, I've almost lost all hope. Plus, I've run out of money. If it weren't for my parents, I'd be on the street. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and why no one will hire me.

I had an interview with a daycare today. A daycare is definitely not my first choice, but at this point, I'll take what I can get. The interview seemed to go well, but I'm trying very hard not to get my hopes up. Every time I do, I end up not getting the job. Then, I just get depressed for the next few days.

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to look into another profession.

The thing is, I can't imagine doing anything but teaching. I love it too much.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2009

Quiggs, I'm right there with you. I thank God everyday for my father's help. And I've also considered jumping ship and looking into other professions. It's way early in the game, but I'm a planner. I don't think I'd be too heart broken if I couldn't teach because what I really want for myself first and foremost is independence and to be a productive member of society, despite how.

4. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 13, 2009

I feel like I've been in limbo all summer.

Last year I worked in a support position in a new district. The district and school have serious issues but the position was great because it was low-prep and had lots of variety. The problem was that the position has to get renewed every year, so independent of the sweeping teacher layoffs I got a pink slip at the end of the year.

All summer I have been waiting for the position to get renewed for 09-10. In the meantime I have been applying for tons of other positions, just in case. I haven't gotten so much as a call for any of these positions, which is very depressing.

I recently heard from my principal that the position has been renewed at last and should be posted online this week. She expects that I will get a call for an interview next week; the interviews are basically something they have to do because it's in the contract. The principal said that in the meantime, if I get any interview requests for other positions in the district, I should decline them and explain that I only want to interview for this specific school.

Basically the principal doesn't want anyone else to 'get me', which is flattering, but I'm also nervous about declining ANY interviews. And now that I've allowed myself to get my hopes up, I'm even MORE nervous that I'm going to be let down. Finally, there is a layer of guilt because there are lots of other teachers in this district that I'm allowed to 'leapfrog' because of the nature of this support position, even though they have district seniority ahead of me.

All in all, I am feeling very anxious and conflicted and could really go for some rum right now.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

That sounds really promising. But I think I would still go on the interviews. Or if you are absolutely SURE that this job is in the bag, I would tell the administrator calling that you would love to interview, but your former principal has requested that you not do so in order to return to your former position. I might even go so far as to in for the interview, get a feel for the job (you could like it) and then, make the decision if it is offered. It is tough to live on a maybe. It is even more difficult to not even be called back after you have been pink slipped. At least you have some options for your future. All the best to you!:rolleyes:

6. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

DO NOT STOP INTERVIEWING!!!!

I think it sounds like a great opportunity, but I would NOT stop interviewing.

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 13, 2009

I too am staring at the end of the tunnel and it's dark again. I've now had 6 interviews since Monday. They all seem to go well until they bring up how many applicants they have or ask the dreaded "why did you leave your last position?" I really wasn't given a choice. I was told on a Monday I was being renewed only to be given the axe on a Friday. Of course I don't know why that's the way the law is written. I'm tired of people looking down their noses at me. :|

Everyone told me that they would be making decisions today. To get ready for this year's interview season hubby hired me "career coach." They help me practice interviewing. I think he wasted his money. Nobody is going to overlook the nonrenewal. I couldn't even get a position at my old school.

The thing that kills me the most is that I went back to school during the height of the boom. I probably could have applied as an ACP candidate and gotten a position. I didn't though because I knew nothing about how to teach or kids. I didn't think it was fair to the kids for them to have a teacher that was clueless.

I'm tired of feeling like a constant failure to my husband. I know he'll get asked how I'm doing and if I found a position. I so want him to be able to tell someone "Yes she did. She'll teaching..." My unemployment runs out in October. I have no idea what we'll do after that. I have to find a job where I can make about $700/month for us to pay all our bills and eat. Of course unemployment in my area is around 13%. We owe the IRS about $2000 in taxes. It's from the one year I was gainfully employed and I have no idea how we'll pay that. I just see a constant downward spiral for us.

I see positions posted now and think why bother? I have a great resume; I wouldn't be getting the interviews without it. It's the non-renewal that makes people wonder. I see it in their faces. I want the mail to get here so I can get my daily rejection over with and move on. I get rejected sight unseen so many times. I'd like to throw them out but UE requires that I keep them.

I'm trying to prepare myself for subbing if I can get on the list. I keep reminding myself that somebody will see what an amazing teacher I am and hire me. :hugs: to all of us still looking. Maybe finally the "teacher shortage" myth will finally be killed this year.

8. Quiggs

Quiggs Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

I definitely wouldn't stop interviewing. Even if you love the position, there is always a chance that you can find something that is guaranteed for a few years at least.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

Pass one to me....:hugs:

10. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

It was pretty demoralizing. I had another interview today in this same school system, and he didn't tell me this. I told him that I had been told that, and he said, "I don't know yet, but you'd be cheaper."

Wow, I hope that's going to be true for me too. Thanks for that info. It seems that subbing is a right of passage around here. The two schools I've been to have asked about substituting, so I guess that's where I should start.

The last P who interviewed me today gave me some sites to look up and read over. He told me since I went to the same college as he did, he wants to help me out, which is good. I know I'm new to all this and don't have the answers, but I hope he'll be able to see that I am trying. And who knows? Maybe he asked me to look through all these sites so he might could interview me another time or something. I have no clue.

x___x

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2009

That's nice that the principal today helped you out! Hopefully he saw that you are willing to continually better yourself and will offer you the job! Good luck!

12. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

Thanks, Jessica26. It would be wonderful if it turned out like that, but I've learned to not really let my hopes soar to high. I am very thankful though that he did want to help me. I know a lot of people don't take the time out to do that. It's either you know your stuff or not.

Which leads to another point.

I don't know what happens, but I just come out feeling like I'm just the biggest idiot in the world after an interview. Seriously. I know once I got into a classroom, I would do just fine. I guess it's just hard for me to explain what I would do because really, I don't know what I would do until I get the textbook and see what types of resources are available to me.

Ugh, I just wish I wouldn't freeze up during an interview. I wish I could just spew out everything without getting scared that I'm going to say something wrong. I've always had trouble with getting the courage to take the lead. Becoming a teacher has helped me start jumping over that hurdle in my life...but I still have so far to go.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 14, 2009

Keep the faith. Several new teachers were hired this year and honestly a couple of them look like scared mice. They look ready to let out a scream if you say BOO. But they somehow won over our principal and got a great job in a great school. If THEY can get hired, so can you. I cannot imagine that they walked into that interview super confident when they speak barely above a whisper and look afraid to make eye contact. Many of the new teachers are full of life, funny, personable, and immediately likable. They are easy to see how they were chosen. Your time is coming. It really, really is!:hugs:

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 14, 2009

Got a rejection from one of my interviews this week. Two of the others said they would make decisions today. I'm telepathically sending "Hire me" vibes right now.

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2009

I'm sorry, MAT, but I'm sending "hire MAT" vibes your way for the other positions.

16. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

Here is a fun one:

Went to lunch with a couple wives and we get to talking about what we do. I state that I cannot find a job here because of all the cutbacks etc.... Wife #1 tells me: well, I graduated with a friend [graphic communication] and she couldn't find a job so she became a teacher! So I say, and she got hired THIS year? #1: Oh yeah! And I say, well not in this area, I didn't even get called to interview, there is no way a teacher with no credential got called and received a job. #1 Oh yes, she works at a Montessori school! (non public)

WTH? Now I am looking for a public school job. I suppose I could have looked harder into faith based schools, but that is not my deal. But seriously? What is going on here?

17. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

Heather, that's frustrating. I think it's funny, and I'm not saying this of Montessori teachers, but sometimes, people use the title "teacher" too lightly. I do believe that everyone that works for children are all teachers in some light, but there's something to be said for being a professional, certified teacher. There are times where I get frustrated when teachers get lumped in the same category as a daycare "teacher" that's highest level of education was a GED. And, I'm sure there are plenty of daycare "teachers" that have only GEDs that can really teach. Rant over. :)

18. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

HeatherY - I have a Bachelor's in Business Management! I want someone to hand me a job! This market SUCKS right now! I went through alternative certification and have been looking for a job since Nov 2008! I even enrolled in a Master's program hoping that would make me more marketable!

Hearing that people are getting teaching positions without any certification just irritates me.

I am a little frustrated and ready to just give up. Subbing here I come! Or a temp Job.........either way, I will be doing something in the next 3 weeks if it kills me.

19. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

i didnt get a public school job this year but i did just get offered a school at a private type daycare/preschool and while its not ideal its still a classroom teacher job and it will do for now! I would absolutely look into other types of teaching jobs not just public school. have you tried charter schools, private school (not faith-based), etc?

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 15, 2009

Fools for not seeing your potential!:hugs:

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 15, 2009

Just got another rejection in the mail. That means two down. Two left to hear from. The other two said they would make decisions by Friday and since I didn't hear from I think it's safe to assume that I didn't get those either.

What do I have to do? Beg? Cry? I'm tired of getting rejections. I've now hit that magic 100. In the past year, I have applied to now 100 positions. Probably been on about 20 interviews. I just feel like I'm going through the motions now.

22. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 15, 2009

I know exactly what you mean. On the way out of an interview, I always think of what I should have said and I kick myself for what I did say when I answered questions. Like you, I feel like I'm a good teacher. I'm just not good at talking about why I'm a good teacher.

23. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I found out today that I won't be getting the math position at the middle school. Since they had several candidates that were already fully certified, they had to look at them first, which means I won't even get an interview.

I just don't understand why it never works out in my favor. There is a special needs aide position open and I think I'm going to apply for that (better than subbing), but who knows if that will work out either? I'm just depressed tonight.

24. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Aug 16, 2009

Sorry bet3!

emmakate said it better than I did, but that is what I meant. Also, I get asked a lot: "Why don't you just teach preschool?" Well, you can do that with a 2 year degree for $12 an hour. I am really looking for something a little more in line with my skill set, KWIM? People don't get it.

25. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 17, 2009

I've heard the preschool remarks too except in my area they pay if you're lucky $10/hour. There are a couple of positions that I need to call about but to be honest I just don't feel like it anymore. It's not getting me anywhere except more frustrated, angry and sad. Heck even my cat is walking around whining but he's whining because he's on a diet.

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 17, 2009

Me too Kitty Kitty... I KNOW just how you feel!:(

27. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 17, 2009

I called one school and the woman remarked "Is that a cat?" I told her yes he sees a lizard outside. Not true but I felt funny saying that he's a fat orange cat on a diet. He's now moving on to copious amounts of affection.

28. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

Really depressed.

I have a good job (not teaching), and I am truly thankful for that. In fact, my current job helped me decide that I needed to return to teaching. But my heart is not here.

A lot of my friends and my wife started back to school today. Students start a week from today. That's probably why I feel so bummed.

I was hoping to have a job by the middle of summer so my current job would have plenty of warning. Now we are in a really busy time of year and I feel guilty about wanting to leave. Not that it looks like I'll get to leave any time soon...

29. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I sent out three more resumes today. I've heard that P's come back from vacation in the district I interviewed with awhile ago. I'm hoping to get at least another interview. I NEED A JOB!

I taught Preschool for 2 years and made $11/hour. It was great experience and I did get the maternity leave position because of that but public schools don't seem to consider it experience.

Wishing and hoping that we all get calls this week for the jobs we desperately need!

30. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 17, 2009

I've been noticing lately that quite a few friends of mine are brand new teachers this year, and all seem to be updating their Facebook statuses with comments about how great their new schools/fellow teachers are, how awesome their first day of teaching 3rd grade was and how great a class they have, how they've been up all night writing lesson plans for the first six weeks, etc. It's getting really depressing to even check my Facebook right now. I might have to avoid it for the next few weeks.

On the bright(ish) side, I went today and spoke with someone at my old middle school about volunteering, and she seemed really excited that I wanted to come help out, even if it's only once a week. Sadly, when I went to see about being a permanent sub at my old high school (where I subbed last semester), she said she wished I'd come to her last week because they district gave her a bunch of teachers who couldn't be placed in full-time positions to be her permanent subs. But she was glad I came by because she was trying to get a list together of people who had subbed last year, had been dependable, knew the school, knew teachers at the school, etc., so she took my card and highlighted my name in her list, so hopefully I'll get lots of calls despite not being a permanent sub. Now I just need to email the teachers I know and let them know I'm a sub.

I really wish I was doing lesson plans instead of emailing people begging for sub jobs.

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 17, 2009

I really feel your pain DK. Stay strong. I am ever hopeful that someone will call soon with an interview for you.... Take care and know that we are all pulling for you!!!!!! Honestly, we are!:hugs:

32. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Thanks, SC :) I really needed to hear that!!

33. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I'll be attending two orientations about substituting at the two school districts I subbed at last year. Good times ahead.

34. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

Hope you get a long term sub right away and THEN, the teacher decides to Stay At Home forever to be with her baby. It happens all the time! Then, after the dynamic job that you do, the principal will reward you with a contract at the end of the school year. Sending good vibes your way >>>:woot::woot:<<<

35. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

At least in the one district I sub in the pay is now $3/day higher at all levels (beginning, after 20 days, after 50 days and they don't have to be consecutive) and I was called a lot by the system last year, so hopefully I still will be called at least three days a week and make okay money. I'm trying to get on the list at other districts, but haven't had any luck yet.

36. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

So last night I'm at my cycling class and there's a missed call. It's a school. P asks me to call her back tomorrow morning. It's a school that I interviewed at last week. I'm all excited thinking this could be it. Call her back this morning only to find out that she was calling to see if I was interested in two other positions at the school that I already applied for. Why would I apply for them if I wasn't interested? Great way to get my hopes up and for them to come crashing down again. To top it off the unemployment office still hasn't paid me from my claims for last week. So I know that my electric, water, internet and car payments are going to bounce if I don't get the money by Thursday.

37. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

MAT~I hope that she offers you one of those jobs!

38. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I'm hoping so too. It completely threw me for a loop and I was a little out of it. I hope she doesn't think that I wasn't interested.

39. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

Kicking myself right now. I missed her call because I made the mistake of using the bathroom!

40. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

Call her back!!! I hope that something great comes of it!