The real requirements for a clear credential

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by CaliforniaRPCV, Mar 6, 2020.

1. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 6, 2020

Warning - the following contains some moaning, groaning and strident complaining.

I am going through the process of obtaining a single subject credential (math) via Peace Corps experience. The requirements for this, as listed in the CTC leaflet CL-535, are straightforward:
    For preliminary credential...
    • Bachelor's degree shown by transcript (done, I've got a Master's)
    • Peace Corps experience shown by certification by Director of Peace Corps (done)
    • Completed Application (done)
    For clear:
    • Basic skills as shown by passing CBEST (done)
    • Complete a course in Developing English Language Skills, including Reading (done)
    • Pass an examination in the Provisions and Principles of the U.S. Constitution (done)
    • Subject-Matter Competence by passing appropriate CSET's (done)
    • Complete a Commission-approved Teacher Induction Program (NOT done, need to get a teaching job for this.)
    As shown, I've got everything but the job and the associated induction program. I've been picking at this a while, which is why I've gone beyond just the requirements for the preliminary credential. I've submitted the application and am in the process of waiting the 50 or so working days for something to be done with it.

HOWEVER..
    • I have found that practically speaking, I need to get CLAD if I expect to get a job - actually, just to apply for a job in my area. So, another test, the CTEL.
    • Looking at these forums, I see there is something called a CalTPA. What!? Is this part of the induction program, or something else? In any case, looks like more money.
    • I got on another site, teach California, and there is some checkbox asking if I have completed "computer education coursework that includes general and specialized skills in the use of computers in education settings.". Is this another requirement? Another "What!?"
    I don't know what the real requirements are. I don't know how to find out. Anybody have any idea where to find out? I'm starting to wonder if I am getting into a fallacy of sunk costs situation. Am I beating my head against a wall chipping away at an endless shifting stream of requirements? If so, it's time to walk away.

Apologies to those that have gone through the process, got to the end and find my complaining offensive.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 7, 2020

Looks like the computer thing is another set of CSET tests:

"CSET: Preliminary Educational Technology consists of 3 subtests:
    • Subtest I (test code 133)
    • Subtest II (test code 134)"

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 7, 2020

The Preliminary Educational Technology CSET’s are crazy easy. Just download these practices tests and memorize the free response:

https://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/TestView.aspx?f=HTML_FRAG/CA_CSET133_PrepMaterials.html

Come up with a lesson or two in which you utilized technology in the classroom and explain its usage. Know how to use an Excel sheet and be able to explain how to use said spreadsheet to compute an average, median, and such.

Read up on important educational laws and know how to assess appropriate technology usage in the classroom.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 7, 2020

You meet all the requirements for the Preliminary credential: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl535.pdf?sfvrsn=729908d8_4

Once you are issued your Preliminary credential and pass a background check, then you can apply to start working in public schools.

You can only enroll in an Induction program — formerly called BTSA — once you have your Preliminary credential on file. I went through private school experience and the vast majority of the requirements are the same and so I can relate to your experience mostly.

Luckily, I have always been a highly effective educator and all of my admin and the district that we were partnered with agreed. This enabled me to do the Early Completion Option (1 year instead of 2) as I did not want to have to go through a program that taught me virtually nothing for two years.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 7, 2020

Also, you do NOT have to take the CTEL.

The ELAS/CLAD Authorization is embedded in both the Preliminary and Clear credentials. I didn’t have to do any extra work to get it. It just comes with it.

edTPA’s are Teacher Performance Assessments that an aspiring teacher takes in a teacher credential program. You would not have to do those since you are applying for your credential through an alternate route.

7. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 8, 2020

Good about the TPA, thanks.

I'm not too worried about the computer thing. A couple days prep and another $267 and I'm there. Test times aren't much of a problem with that one either. But it's an example of a hidden gotcha. It's a requirement on the level of the U.S. Constitution requirement, which is listed in CL535, that is not listed there. That's sloppy on the part of the CTC. Or it may be sloppy on my part. Is it embedded in another reference within the CL535 leaflet?

CLAD is not a strict requirement. You only need it if there is a single ELL student in the class. But since that is so likely, many/most/(all?) districts require it for employment. And I am still worried about it. Looking at the materials, there is specialized knowledge that would not naturally be gained through the alternative route experience. I wouldn't just grant it as a matter of course if I were the CTC.

Anyway, I will send an email query about both issues. CTC seems pretty responsive to email queries.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 8, 2020

Well, I had to take a class on teaching English Language Learners before I was issued my Preliminary credential. I also took a similar class in my teaching credential program. I think that is why it is embedded in mine.

Here is the leaflet for teachers who get certified through private school experience. Please note the requirements are much more extensive: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl834.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Was your Peace Corps program not comparable to mine? I thought taking such coursework in CA was standard?

9. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 9, 2020

The private school alternate route certainly is more extensive than for Peace Corps.
    And, unlike for the Peace Corps route, it appears to embed the foundational computer education in the requirements for the preliminary credential. Requirements in yours for the clear credential include CPR training and CLAD certification. CPR, foundational computer education and CLAD seem highly appropriate requirements to me. I would have appreciated it if they were included in the leaflet if they are requirements, de-facto or otherwise.

The Peace Corps route, as documented, is much more forgiving, allowing most requirements to be met after the five year preliminary credential is granted. But just because the CTC is forgiving in granting a preliminary credential doesn't mean you can skip the regulations like, from my understanding, needing CLAD if there is a single ELL student in the class. And school districts don't have to be as forgiving as the CTC, which is why I went through CBEST and all the CSET math tests before bothering with the preliminary credential. And the US Constitution thing because, why not?

Peace Corps teacher training isn't much, or wasn't 40 odd years ago. The requirement to teach was to have graduated from college. Classes in education were a rare bonus that I didn't have and still don't have, except for that required Developing English Language Skills, including Reading that I took a few months ago. So, no, my Peace Corps program was not comparable to yours.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 9, 2020

I understanding your frustrations. I just religiously followed the rubric of the leaflet and got my Preliminary that way. I am SO glad to have cleared my Full SS math credential years ago.

And pardon my saying so, but the Peace Corps program now seems woefully inadequate if I go by what you’re saying. That is frustrating for you because you probably finished it with the idea that you are now equipped with the knowledge to be successful academically, pedagogically, and classroom-management wise in the classroom...

It also helps that I am fluent in Spanish and conversationally fluent in Chinese because it makes communicating with my ELL students a breeze, haha!

What math classes do you want and are authorized to teach? I currently teach AP Calc BC and Calc 3/Linear Algebra (one semester is Calc 3 and the second is Linear Algebra and the students have the added benefit of receiving college credit).

In the past I taught all the way from Prealgebra up through AP Calc BC/Calc 3. Last year, I taught AP Stats, AP Calc BC, and Calc 3. The year before that, I taught Precalculus Honors, AP Stats, and AP Calc AB/BC. The time before that, I taught Geometry, Algebra 2 Honors, Precalculus, and AP Stats.

My favorites are definitely the “advanced” math courses and the few computer science classes I’ve subbed for (AP Computer Science A and AP Computer Science Principles).

11. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 9, 2020

I speak here of my experience a few decades ago. Unfortunately, I don't have much reason to think things have changed much in the countries the Peace Corps serves.

The Peace Corps supplies teachers to places that have few, if any, teachers that would be considered qualified. Not always, but often we are talking about places where food and water are daily questions and things like electricity are not commonly in the mix. I don't know of any Peace Corps classroom where non-ELL students are so rare as to be, for practical purposes, non-existent. As far as on the job training and experience is concerned, there is no better. The relaxed requirements for the credential via Peace Corps experience may be recognition of that.

There is a difference between education/knowledge/capability and certification. The latter, certification, increases the chances that one has the former. But it isn't a guarantee. And there is a great deal of knowledge I think necessary for the job not really covered by the certifications.

To be clear, my concern is not about preparation, but for checklist(s). The CTC checklists are inconsistent. That is a formula for unpleasant surprises. Also, it isn't clear that satisfying the CTC checklist(s) cover the practicalities of getting a position in an actual school district.

I have a master's in applied math. I have a credential authorizing me to teach any math class at the junior college level. Those credentials are accepted even though they aren't issued any more; another artifact from decades ago. Along with passing the three CSET math tests, I'm covered content wise.

BTW, there is an interesting example of education vs certification vs another certification. I had the subject matter knowledge to teach California junior college math, but not the knowledge to teach the same classes at the secondary school level until I passed the CSET tests. It's all about checklists.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Apr 3, 2020

I got the preliminary credential today. That was unexpected. I was thinking it would take another three months.

No CLAD though, and no CTEL test appointment times in my area through May. In fact, a quick look doesn't show any test times for anything anywhere for a few months.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 3, 2020

Oh yeah! Welcome to the mix, fellow math major!

I’m so excited for you. Speaking on the expedited process, which is also greatly surprising to me, it might be due to the decrease in work load due to the pandemic.

You might want to log into your CTC account because mine says this when I do: https://imgur.com/a/ITKxffL

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  14. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Apr 3, 2020

I only get the R1S message, as I suspected would be the case. No ELAS.

15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 3, 2020

Darn!

16. barturk98

barturk98 New Member

May 19, 2020

I got the preliminary credential today. That was unexpected. I was thinking it would take another three months.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 19, 2020

And now you begin the long and tedious process of clearing it. Try and do the Early Completion Option (ECO) if you can. I did and only had to do Induction (previously called BTSA) in just one year versus the customary two. The added stipulation is that your admin on site would need to classify you as highly effective.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 19, 2020

The CTEL is embedded in newer credentials in California (like mine, I got it in 2011) However back in the day they didn't, so they were offering this test. I thought I had to get it, I should asked someone, but I paid for the test, went and while I was sitting there an they were going over everything I realized I didn't need it lol. Since I was already there, I took it and passed it - all I can say is that it was super easy.

The clear credential normally only needs you getting a job and then the school will take care of everything as far as the induction programs goes. By that I mean they will pay for everything, you just need to do the work. I was able to do mine in 1 year instead of 2, because they took my experience in consideration (which wasn't many years, so I was very surprised)

19. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Jul 31, 2020

Spoken like someone that took the classes and knew what she was doing before that! :)
    I, on the other hand, :eek: