The "R" Word. . . .

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mamacita, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 24, 2012

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2012

I'm crying ... for several years I worked with the mentally handicapped, first in a summer day camp, then in a group home. Many of them are some of the kindest, most wonderful people to be around.

Thank you,Mamacita.

4. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Oct 24, 2012

I don't let my kids in the classroom use retarded as an insult. And now I'm going to print off John Franklin Stephens response because he said it better than I ever could.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2012

Using the ''r'' word in Spanish is really really derogatory. You would never hear anyone say it ever. I hope it becomes like that in English as well. Good for John for standing up to her!

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2012

I just left a comment at the website. Great letter from JF Stephens.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 24, 2012

So glad to see this well-crafted response, responding to an ill-crafted comment. I don't know why anyone would listen to that windbag anyway.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

That is a word I rarely, if ever, hear--thank goodness.

9. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Oct 24, 2012

And young people all over the US and beyond are witnessing one high-powered individual's casual, derogatory use of this term -- an offense teachers have been trying to quell for years. Hopefully they will also take notice of the backlash and realize that many reasonable people are willing to stand up publicly and call out Ann Coulter.

10. holliday

holliday Comrade

Oct 24, 2012

I'm going to share this letter with my students. What a wonderful (and graceful) response to an ugly situation. This woman feeds off the uproars she creates with her spew, so I don't see any changes on the horizon for her...but this is still a teachable moment for the rest of us.

11. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 24, 2012

Thank you, Jane, for sharing that! I've printed it to post in my staff room. What an amazing man!

12. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 24, 2012

Meh. It's tasteless, but most of the outrage is politically motivated in my opinion.

13. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 24, 2012

It's Ann Coulter. I've had to teach myself to not get angry at the sh*t that comes out of that woman's mouth.

14. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Oct 24, 2012

What a great, eloquent response to such a hurtful comment.

15. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Oct 24, 2012

My feelings about her use of the word is not politically motivated. I would have felt the same if she had used the word in reference to Mitt Romney.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 24, 2012

:yeahthat:

What a wonderful piece this man has written. The "R" word is right up there with the "N" word for me. Noone should be using either of them.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2012

Oh my! I hadn't heard this yet, but I came here just now to post something about this word. A teacher dropped her papers twice today in the hall (back to back) with third grade students all around. She threw her hands up and exclaimed, "Guess I'm just retarded!" I was curious if others found that to be as shocking as I did. I am sure you do, though.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 24, 2012

I am amazed at how quickly it became so un-PC to use this term. It does have a clinical meaning. No term should be used as an insult but the word in itself is not a bad word.

I *do* use it in my class. Growth can be retarded. Chromosomal abnormalities can cause mental retardation. At least once a year I get a comment from a student tsk-tsking me for using the term. And I have to go and deprogram the students collectively.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 24, 2012

The young man's eloquent objection wasn't to the clinical use of the term, NCScienceTeach: it was to the term used as a pejorative. There's all the difference in the world between those. In any case, the student who tsk-tsks over the clinical use is much less likely to do harm to another than is the student who can't or won't see why the colloquial use is inappropriate and insensitive.

20. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2012

Yes, I agree strongly that its not the word itself. No word should be considered magically 'bad'. Coulter, however, was using it with vicious and pejorative intent.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2012

I have a few words for Ann Coulter - the B-word comes to mind. Also the C-word and the A word as well. Not to mention the German acronym N-word and the F-word of Italian origin.

If you meet me in a bar and buy me a pint, I will say all the words for you in one sentence.

I actually wonder why anybody is even wasting their time worrying about what such a hateful and nasty person has to say. Oh, that's right. Today, a hateful and nasty person can get a multi-million dollar media contract for being hateful and nasty.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

This is what I am going to do as well!

That should be shocking that a teacher would use this word, in front of students no less!

23. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 24, 2012

I hear it all the time. People are still insensitive to this word. This man is a hero. I love how he did not turn to negativity himself, but stayed positive.

24. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 24, 2012

I've been saying throughout this President's term that this is the most disrespected President I have ever seen in my life, regardless of anyone's political leanings.

I felt the same way when members that college field hockey team showed up at a White House presentation with President George W. Bush in flip-flops. Disrespectful.

No matter what an individual's political philosophy may be, they still need to respect the office.

:mad:

25. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 24, 2012

My intent was to showcase the young man. Ann Coulter isn't worth the attention. The gentleman, however, is. It was his reaction that was important, not the actual word.

26. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 25, 2012

Agree completely. I know this thread is about use of the "r" word, but I find the discourse in this country to be just as troubling. So much money is being made from pundits spewing hatred. It's poisoning our country. You can support a candidate without vilifying and spewing venom about the other. What's going to happen when the election is over? Our country is getting more and more divided and I blame the media.

It makes me sad that anyone would refer to the president in that manner - no matter what word she used.

27. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

28. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

29. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

No real surprise there...

30. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Oct 26, 2012

Amen. I have a niece with Down Syndrome and I'm printing his response and saving it for her adult years. She's too young to understand now, but I hope one day she is as brave and eloquent as John Franklin Stephens. He used much, much kinder words than I ever could have written to Ann Coulter.

31. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 26, 2012

I don't buy Anne's defense (linked earlier).

Hurt is hurt. If her argument were true she could use the "N" word, and just say "oh, I mean come on, it just refers to loser in modern times."

Bologna.

I think anyone can change; I hope Anne finds it within her heart to realize what she said is hurtful and wrong.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2012

The fact is that words have power. They have the power to convince, to incite and to hurt.

And apologies are useless. They can't undo the hurt.

I also agree that, regardless of what you think of anyone holding the office of President, the office demands some respect. It appalls me that anyone who would say something so incredibly ignorant about ANYONE holding the office of President of the United States-- and no, I'm not an Obama supporter.